Digging Up The Past

Matter Of Time

The two finally reached the doors to the the building. The 5 meter walk felt like forever to Mikayla and the awkward silence between them felt even longer. Woohyun held the door open for Mikayla as she slightly bowed.

"Thanks." Mikayla said as she entered the clean, bright building that smelled like peppermints.

"Mikayla, I don't know about this. I got a bad vibe when we walked in." Woohyun said staring at the painting of rain on the wall.

"Don't be such a baby." Mikayla whispered as she grabbed his sweater, leading him towards the front desk.

"Hi, my friend here has an appointment." Mikayla said politely.

"Name, please?"

"Uhm, Nam Woohyun."

"Okay, wait here please while I notify the doctor." The lady at the desk said with a kind voice.

Woohyun sits down on one of the soft blue chairs and sighs. Mikayla softly seats herself next to him.

"I never imagined myself needing to enter one of these buildings." Woohyun sighed

"Why is that? These places are helpful."

"It's just whenever I have a problem, I just talk to a friend, and then it's over. Now I have to talk to a certified doctor."

"It'll be fi-" Mikayla said getting cut off by the lady at the front desk.

"Nam Woohyun, room 103. The doctor is ready." The lady smiled.

"Can she come with me?"

"I'm sorry sir, it's a private session."

"Sorry Mikayla, you're going to have to wait." Woohyun told Mikayla as she spotted a doctor she recognized. Mikayla immediantly lowered her head, but it was too late the doctor already saw her.

"Mikayla, I haven't seen you in a year." The doctor smiled walking up to Mikayla.

"You know him?" Woohyun asked.

"Y-y-yeah." Mikayla stuttered.

"Mikayla, we should have a catch up session. Do you mind sir?" The polite doctor asked.

"No , it's fine. See you in a bit Mikayla." Woohyun replied.

Woohyun's figure disappeared behind the big white door.

"Hi Dr.Monton." Mikayla whispered.

"Ms.Mikayla, would you like to talk somewhere private? I would love to do a catch up session, like I mentioned before." The doctor stated moving his big gray mustache.

"Yeah uhm sure, okay." Mikayla said following the doctor to a nice, comfy, safe room. A type of room she had been familiar with for a while. The type of room she hadn't been in for a little over a year.

Mikayla sat down in one of the chairs in front of the desk where Dr.Monton sat behind.

***

Woohyun enters a room that has a gold plate besides it with the wording Room 103 in black ink.

"Hello?" Woohyun said politely.

"Hello, you must be Nam Woohyun?" The doctor asked.

"Yes, and you are?"

"I am Dr.Amad, I will be your therapist for today's session and any other time you make an appointment." A man with a dark brown dress shirt and black slacks said. He had receding gray hair and was tall.

"Okay." Woohyun said as he sat down in the soft comfortable black chair.

"So Woohyun, I'll try not to do so much talking since this is your session."

"O-kay.." Woohyun nodded

"Well, please don't just nod. Tell me what's been bothering you." Dr.Amad chuckled.

"Honestly I don't know what's wrong."

"Mhm." Dr.Amad replied studying Woohyun who was obviously not opening up. Dr.Amad was using a technique where the awkward silence would make the patient speak.

"I don't need to be here." Woohyun said trying to break the silence that made his body tremble.

"Is that so?" The doctor said looking down at his clipboard. He wrote that Woohyun was having trouble realizing his problem.

"W-W-What are you writing?" Woohyun snarled insecurely.

"Do you really want to know?"

"Yes! I do want to know!" Nam yelled again.

"Well, I'll tell you this. If you talk to me about your situation, I'll give you my evalution notes at the end of this session." The doctor compromised.

"Really?"

"Really."

"Fine...What do you want to know, besides I messed up."

"I want to know everything, but most importantly I want to know your thoughts."

"Okay, I was supposed to sing at a concert that was a competition for the best group. I'm part of a group and in fact I am the main vocalist. My part is very important, but when we were on stage I messed up. My mind went blank, I forgot the dance moves and the lyrics. All I could think about was the other groups we were competing against. You see, Infinite is 7 members, we have to be perfect or else the other 6 members take the blame too. I MESSED UP and now the other members have to deal with the bad publicity and our loss because of ME! The competition director gave us our scoring sheet and each one of the judges put a 1 out of 10 in organized. And....and....that's my fault!" Woohyun stated fighting back tears that kept moving in his eyes like tidal waves.

"And how does that make you feel?"

"M-M-Make me feel? H-How does that make me feel?"

"Yes."

"To have to look my teammates, my FRIENDS in their eyes and watch them lie to me. And watch them say, 'It'll be okay,' or  'We'll get it next time.' To see them LIE to me...How do I feel!? Am I supposed to say fantastic!? I feel awful, no not even awful. I feel like the lowest piece of scum on the world who couldn't even remember his lines that he practiced day and night. So when you ask me how do I feel, there is no words that express my feelings right now! I am a lousy friend....I restricted my own partners from achieving their dreams. I restricted myself from achieving MY OWN DREAMS! I am a failure...and if we never get that chance again, I will always be a failure. I just wish they could get that opportunity again without me." Woohyun broked down saying.

"And why without you?"

"Because...I can't stop thinking about how much better Infinite would be if I was never part of the group. Or if I was never born, maybe if I was out of the picture...they could be as famous as they desired. But I'm here and I am taking up space in this world that I don't even deserve...!" Woohyun finally let the tears go from his eyes.

"Woohyun, can I tell you what I think?"

"Sure, it's only going to be the same thing.."

"And what is that?"

"You're just going to tell me that my life is worth living, but you don't even know the half of it!"

"Well, you're wrong. Woohyun, what you did, forgetting the perfomance, was an idiotic move. Obviously you must have memorized it or else they wouldn't have scheduled you for a spot to perform. YOU had the opportunity just as much as the others did, but you couldn't live up to the chance. I'm not going to lie and tell you messing up other people's dreams is a good thing. It's just you HAVE to stop torturing yourself. It's not that bad! Your life is more important than any label that says you are good. You must know in your heart of hearts that you are great. You have to be confident because when the day is over, your confidence can be the only thing that'll push you to the next day. You were right about one thing...your life IS worth living." Dr.Amad stated strongly.

"But what if I can't find my confidence?"

"You have to try!" Dr.Amad became strongly emotional to Woohyun's situation.

"I-I-I don't know how..."

"Woohyun, promise to me and yourself that even if you never come back, you find your confidence. Some way look for your confidence."

"O-Okay...I promise..."

***

Mikayla starts to remember the past and face begins turning red. The last time she was in one of these offices she was completly red and non-stop crying. Dr.Monton sat down and smiled happily towards Mikayla.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine..."

"Are you still seeing Mr.Jonghyun?" Dr.Monton said jokingly.

"Mhm."

"That's good, he always made you happy."

"Mhm..."

"So have you been keeping in contact with your brother and father?"

"No..."

"Oh, why is that?"

"They don't want anything to do with me."

"Even after you apologized?" The doctor asked surprised.

"They don't care...I could apologize on the moon and they still wouldn't care."

"Do you think that is understandable?"

"Yeah, at a time when they needed me, I was gone. I acted stupid and I fell apart just like my mother did..."

"I don't think it is understandable for them to alienate you. And what your mother did was not the best choice, however she didn't have the help she needed."

"She had us! Dr.Monton, EVERYTIME we talk about this we go back to the same conclusion!"

"What's that?"

"That she didn't have help and she didn't feel like she could talk to us.!"

"Well everytime I ask you to tell me why you think she made her choice, you close up like a clam and stop talking." Dr.Monton stated confidently because it was the truth.

"You want to know what I think?"

"Of course, I'm all ears."

"I think she killed herself because she didn't want us in her life. The problem she went through could have been easily resolved if she had JUST talked to us about it!"

"And what could you do, hm?" Dr.Monton sassed.

"I COULD HAVE TALKED TO HER! She didn't talk to anyone for two whole months! Then when she finally started to talk to us, she killed herself later that night...and I will never forgive her." Mikayla cried just like she did a year ago when she was in the same situation.

"Mikayla...you know why we keep coming back to this conclusion?"

Mikayla just glared at him with an upset look.

"It's because you haven't let go of your feelings, and put yourself in her shoes."

"That's where you're wrong...I put myself in her shoes a year ago and that's why I lost my brother and father."

"You lost them because they were too naive to put theirselves in YOUR shoes."

"NO! Stop trying to make it seem like I didn't have a role in their hating me. It's my fault that they dislike me because I should have been there for them too! I should have been there for my mom, my brother, and my father. But...I'm the one that was too naive.!" Mikayla finally managed to say with dignity.

"Mikayla, you must stop blaming yourself for your mother's actions. And it was entirely your brother and father's choice to not speak to you after you apologized sincerely."

"STOP, Okay?! I was fine, until you spoke to me again. I was finally getting over this stupid stupid stupid thing in my life. Now, it'll ring through my head for another couple months until I finally stop remembering the past."

Mikayla stormed out of the room and ran out of the building door. As soon as she flung open the exit doors she felt the cool rush of air hit her face which had tears running down it. She wiped her cheeks as she ran, ran to absolutely no where. She had no idea where she was going, but she realized she left Woohyun. Mikayla didn't want to go back and risk the chance of seeing Dr.Monton again, so she stopped to think. Suddenly a warm feeling ran up and down her arm. It was Woohyun he had chased after her without Mikayla knowing.

"Mikayla." Woohyun panted.

Mikayla turned around and revealed her teardrop filled face to Woohyun. Woohyun was completly confused and felt pity.

"Mikayla, what happened?"

"I-I-I.." Mikayla stuttered.

"Let's go somewhere more comfortable." Woohyun grabbed Mikayla's arm and led her to a nearby cafe. He seated her in the fartherest booth away from the door.

"Mikayla, what happened?" Woohyun asked once again.

"The past." Mikayla said vaguely.

"Do you want to talk about it? Talking is good, and look I feel better."

"That's nice."

"So do you want to talk about it?"

"Do you really wanna find out the bad part of my life? It might change your perception of me.."

"Yes and nothing can change how I see you."

"My mother is dead and my brother and father hate me." Mikayla stated staring right  into Woohyun's eyes.

"W-What?"

"A little over a year ago..." Mikayla dreaded telling this story.

"Mikayla, it's okay. You can trust me." Woohyun said as he placed his hand over Mikayla's.

"My mom was an artist...and she was good at her job. Painting was her specialty and she was extremely successful at it. There was one thing she really wanted to achieve ever since she was a young girl. It was a painting competition where the prize was to have your painting advertised during the Super Bowl. She really wanted the world to see her work, so she submitted one of her best paintings. They called her a week later saying she made it to the final judges. She became super excited, until the next day they called her to let her know that her painting didn't win. She was fine with that because she was content with her painting making it to finals. Then the judges sent in her scores. One of the judges left a comment that said, this piece is boring, it doesn't portray anything. The color is all wrong and the artist must've been blind because nothing about this painting is straight. Another judge said, that for an amateur painting it didn't live up to it's potential. They called my mother who had been painting since she was a child an amateur! After that she went through serious depression. She refused to go to therapy and later she refused to talk to anyone. She locked herself in the basement and did nothing, but paint for two months straight. We would leave plates of food and glasses of water by the door, because obviously she had to eat. Suddenly, one day she came out of the basement, she looked like she had never seen daylight in years. As soon as she walked out of the basement she took a shower and hugged everyone of us. She fooled us into thinking she was alright. She cooked, cleaned, and dressed up that day. She even talked to us in full conversations, we were all happy that she had finally got over the critisism. Later that night, she said she was going to clean up the basement and go to bed. We all believed her and kissed her goodnight. But she never came to bed...she killed herself. She didn't leave a note or a letter, but she did leave a painting..." Mikayla had to stop to wipe the tears that once left scars on her face before.

Woohyun was in complete awe and didn't know what to say.

"Her painting....it was a television screen that had the exact same painting she submitted to the competition. After that I experienced severe depression. I had to see a therapist everyday and that was Dr.Monton. After a while, I stopped going to my sessions. I slowly stopped talking to my brother and father when they needed someone to talk to. They were just as sad as me and I never realized that until after it was too late... I would come home from school and go straight to the basement to stare at that exact painting. One day my father took the painting out of the basement and gave it to a local gallery. I became extremely mad because that was the only thing that felt like my mother was still here. N-Now it was gone and I finally came to the conclusion...so was my mother. That night when my father told me he gave the painting to the gallery I screamed at him and had a fit. I broke almost everything in that house including my brother's baseball trophy that he was super proud of. After a month later my father told me to start seeing my therapist again because everytime he brought something home I would destroy. I guess I just liked the house the way it was...the way mom left it. I went to see Dr.Monton again and he convinced me to apologize to my family because I was being selfish.I apologized and went back to see Dr.Monton that same day to tell him. When I went home, everything was gone...my brother wasn't there...my father wasn't there, no one was there. There was one little note left on the countertop...it said, The house is being taken by the bank since we haven't paid the mortgage. Get your things and stay with a friend. Your brother and I have found a new place to live. We can't take being depressed any longer. All YOU are is depressed and your fake apology will never be good enough. You don't understand how much you have hurt your brother and I. You are an adult now, so don't try to find us, we don't want anything to do with you. That note will forever haunt my head...My own father wrote that to me..." Mikayla said with flooded eyes.

"W-Where did you stay?" Woohyun was hesitant to ask.

"That was around the same time me and Jonghyun became close friends. So he let me stay over at his house and we started to get closer. He would take me to my therapy session no matter how embarrasing it was. After a month, we started dating. He was the one who encouraged me to get a job at Woollim or SM." She tried to smile through the tears.

Woohyun quickly got out of his seat and hugged Mikayla. She slowly closed her eyes in an attempt to stop the tears from coming out.

"Hey...let's go on a trip okay?"

"Uhm.." Mikayla sniffled.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow, for now let me take you home." Woohyun insisted.

Woohyun grabbed Mikayla's wrist and led her out of the cafe to signal a taxi. They both entered the taxi and sat close to eachother, unlike the other taxi ride. They were so close to eachother they could practically hold hands. Woohyun noticed this and decided to comfort Mikayla. He wrapped one of his arms around Mikayla and she glanced up at him, not trying to make eye contact. A couple of minutes passed by and Mikayla looked up again to notice Woohyun sleeping. She smirked a little at him. Suddenly the taxi hit a big pothole that pushed Mikayla even closer to Woohyun if that was possible. Her arm was now wrapped Woohyun's waist. Which to her surprise was quite muscular, she tried to retreat her arm back, but her bracelet was stuck to a thread on the seatbelt.

***

Oh MY GOD...how can my bracelet be stuck at a time like this!?  Does he work out? Why is his stomach like that? What am I thinking? Focus Focus! What can I do?

***

Mikayla glanced up again and saw Woohyun smiling at her.

"Comfortable?" Woohyun chuckled.

"Uhm.. not really." She said looking at her bracelet.

"Oh." Woohyun said as he helped unlock her bracelet from the thread.

"Thanks." Mikayla said retreating her arm slowly, once again feeling his stomach.

Woohyun rubbed his eyes after pulling his arm away from Mikayla as well.

"Nam, you snore." Mikayla joked.

"I don't snore."

"Yeah you do."

"Well, you hug people in their sleep." Woohyun retorted.

"Uh.."

"So it's true."

"NO! The car hit a bump and I fell towards you. That's when my bracelet got caught to the seatbelt." She shouted.

"Haha, okay relax I was only kidding."

"Hmph! Anyways I see you're in a better mood now, did the therapy session really help?"

"Yeah, it...did."

"That's good."

The taxi came to a stop at Mikayla's house. Woohyun got out first so he could hold the door for Mikayla. Mikayla exited the taxi and turned to Woohyun, she felt that it would be rude to just go into her house. Instead, she hugged Woohyun feeling extremely embarrassed. The hug caught Woohyun by surprise so he didn't know what to do but wrap his arms around her too.

"Bye Woohyun, get home safely." She said turning around to go to her house. However, something stopped her, it was Woohyun holding onto her wrist.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow at 8am."

"Woohyun, I really ca-." She said after Woohyun was already in the taxi.

She turned around and unlocked her house door.

"Ugh...a trip?" She whispered to herself as she changed into sweatpants and a plain black t-shirt. As she was tying her hair in a bun Jonghyun entered the house.