Someone else

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Every woman deserves a man that can make her heart forget that it was ever broken…”

 

“Oppa,” I called out hastily on the phone, opening the hood of my car. Smoke clouded my view and I coughed heavily. Warm haze stung my face and eyes. “My car just broke down…and I don’t know what to do. There’s smoke coming out from the engine and the car won’t start. Can you please come here and fetch me up? I’m at…wait up. I don’t even know…”

I ran my gaze throughout the empty road searching for any signboard that could give me any idea of my location and I found nothing. Great. Now, not that my car just immobilized, I’m lost too. Cars passed me by endlessly but I'm too afraid to ask for help from a stranger.

“Seunghyun oppa…” I sobbed. “I’m on my way to Seoul, and I’m not that great with the road or…map and the GPS…yes GPS. Wait a moment…” I rushed into the car and stared into the GPS. “Oppa, I’m 100 km from Busan. Do you know where I am?” I waited for his respond but he just stayed mute. “Oppa?”  I called again.

“Hey, umm…I’m…not…umm…you have dialled a wrong number.”

My eyes widen in shock. The strange voice greeted my ears and I shivered involuntarily. “Who…are…you? You’re…not…”

“I’m not Seunghyun oppa.”

“Then who are you?” I asked the stranger bravely.

“My name is Teddy. And coincidently, I live in Busan. So I can help you out. Can I?”

Fear suddenly swam into me. “No, no. It’s OK. I can call someone else…I’m very sorry…” I slurred and when my finger was about to push the end button his voice rang again. I halted, bringing the phone to my ear again.

“Look, I’m not a bad guy and I just wanted to help.”

“Well, that’s exactly what a bad guy would say,” I snickered, glancing to the hot vapour coming out from the engine.

I heard him sigh. “I just wanted to help. And if you cut out all this chit chat, I might arrive there sooner…”

“…I don’t even ask you to be here…”

“I know. But I’ll be there. So just wait for me. Stay inside your car and be careful. I’ll be quick.”

"Hey..." The call ended and I stared in disbelief on my cell phone. I just asked a stranger for help and I don’t even know if he was a bad guy or not. Stupid me for dialling a wrong number. It must be the nerves…and panic heart.

I moved into the car and locked the door. The day started to end and the night was closing in. Everything’s darkened in just a minutes. 

I waited anxiously, praying that everything would be fine and I’ll be at home with my daughter in just a few more hours.

 

After 2 hours of waiting, a car suddenly pulled off on the side road, just in front of my car. My heart was thumping loudly as I stared at the car.

A man came out from the black Hammer, with a cap and printed T-shirt over his baggy jeans. My heart pounded harder. He glanced over my car and he squinted his eyes from the blinding headlights. Nervously, I stepped out from my car and held the door open. I grasped my phone tightly and my heart leaped when the phone rang.

I looked up to him and he smiled while holding his phone close to his ears. “There you are,” he said and made his way to me. “Hello, damsel in distress, I’m your knight in shining armour.” He flashed his bright smile and my heart just skipped a beat.

 

Teddy fixed my car in just thirty minutes. Pouring some water, tightened some wires and then the car just roared to life. I cursed my old BMW under my breath. The car was inherited from my father and looks like his time for a replacement had come.

“Thank you,” I said as I came out from my car. “If you’re not here…I just don’t know…”

“You’re welcome.”

“Here.” I handed a few cash to him and he just stared at me like I was holding gun-wide eyes and parted lips. “...for your help.”

“That’s…not necessary. I didn’t do it for the money…”

“I know. I just…wanted to thank you.” I urge

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter