I felt

The boy who taught me how to feel

“This is frustrating…….” I muttered to myself as I lay on the bed, still in my uniform.

Chan Yeol must be mad at me now, probably having K-BBQ with his new favourite friend.

I frowned at that thought.

I should be glad that since he has a new friend now, my life would go back to normal. I’d be able to be home on time, have free time to myself, to revise my homework, to play the piano, to be alone and at peace.

Then why do I feel this way?

Forget it, I am going to get some kim bap.

 

I was on the way home from the grocery store with 5 packets of kim bap in my hands when I saw the homeless man sitting by the roadside, his back against the wall of a resident’s house.

 

I walked past him without looking.

I have always been this way.

I don’t believe in helping people who are healthy with 4 limbs, and I don’t believe in meddling with matters that don’t concern me.

 

“Ya, Chon Eun Mi, why do you always carry such a cold attitude?”
“Why do you always carry such a cold attitude?”
“Cold attitude.”
“URGH,” I let out a growl as Chan Yeol’s words ring repeatedly in my mind.

I turned back and find myself standing before the homeless man again.

Now that I look closely, he looks more like a student instead.

“Here, you must be hungry, you can have one of my kim bab.” I offered him a packet of my kim bab with my hands outstretched.

He looked up at me, and I swore for a second he looked moved by my actions, but ultimately he hit my hands away, causing the kim bab to fall out of my hands.

“Ha, why? You think it’s shameful to get free food?”

So much for trying to carry a less cold attitude.

“Suits you. You’re probably full with all that pride inside you.”

I walked on but stopped 2 steps away – I still can’t believe he did that to my glorious kim bab.

Turning back, I started, “Listen up. If you don’t want to starve but don’t want to beg for food, then get a job and work for it. There’s no point sitting here waiting awaiting sympathy yet pushing people away when they express concerns. If this is where you fell, then stand right back up here. If you’re tired, then feel free to lay there and rest, then attempt to stand up again. At the end of the day, only you can save yourself.”

I finally continued my way home, then I realized it – I felt angry just now.

I felt angry when the homeless student pushed my kim bab, because I listened to Chan Yeol’s stupid advice and tried to change my attitude for the better.

I felt jealous when Chan Yeol suggested the tuitions for So Eun. And when I thought about them having KBBQ together.

I felt disappointed when Chan Yeol didn’t turn up at my class during lunch.

I felt happy when I saw his back view.

When did I start having all these feelings………….?

When did I start feeling?

After he came into my life.

I have to see him.