The (sort of) unveil

The boy who taught me how to feel

“Eun Mi ah, there’s a boy looking for you outside the theatre,” one of the backstage workers said as she passed by the dressing room.

It must be Chan Yeol! I hastily adjusted my hair and left, trying to keep calm as I made my way there.

He was nowhere to be seen as I reached the hallway leading to the theatre. I looked around before leaning against the wall, my head low while twiddling my thumbs.

A pair of leather oxfords came into sight before me.

“Chan..” I began before even raising my head, “Park.. Yong? What are you doing here?”

He looked at me without replying.

“Where is Chan Yeol?” I asked again, looking around for an answer – did he bring Park Yong instead of grandmother? But why? When did they become such good friends?

“Don’t bother looking. He’s not around.” Park Yong finally starting speaking.

“He… gave you the tickets?” I asked, my voice shaking.

“Don’t give me that crushed look. He didn’t. I took the letter from his desk right after you left it.”

“Why..” I frowned, my emotion escalating from disappointment to anger, “Why are you doing this? Do you find it fun?”

“No, I don’t.”

“Ha, then why? Are you going to say that you like me again? Just because we sit together in class? Don’t be ridiculous, Park Yong.” I demanded as I turned to leave.

“What if I do?” He caught my wrist and asked from behind, his voice soft and careful.

“Park Yong, I…”

“I know.” He is smiling now –his eyes heavy and his back hunched, as if the faint smile drained all of him.

“I wanted to come on behalf of Park Chan Yeol. I wanted to take this chance to tell you because otherwise you’ll never have time to listen to what I say.. I wanted to show you how hard I’m trying to save myself.. I wanted to show you how I’m attempting to stand up from where I fell.. because I felt like I could, if you were standing in front of me.”

“What do you mea….” It struck me before I could finish my question. Everything he said had sounded familiar, because it came from myself, “You are that homeless guy…?”

He laughed and let go of his hold, “You still think I’m homeless? I was merely sitting outside my house because I forgot my keys when you decided to force the kimbap into my hands.”

“I… Oh.. No, I thought…”

“It doesn’t matter now. That was before I heard what you had to say to him… Now I’m clear.. where I stand.”