The (sort of) love letter

The boy who taught me how to feel

I didn’t realize I was in a daze until a hand hovered in front of my face, pulling me back to reality.

“Oh, Park Yong.” I greeted him as he settled into his seat while I quickly stuffed the envelop I was holding between the books under my desk.

“Is that a confession letter? I didn’t know people still confess through this old-fashioned way nowadays.” He laughed as he rested his cheek on his palm.

“Your.. your head! It’s just… my bursary.”

“Your.. your bursary?” He imitated my stutter, looking even more amused now.

I was about to retaliate when Ms Om entered the class.

“I hope you are all pleased with your results this time round. Everybody scored very well, and the top scorer this time round is… Park Ji Yong. Please come forward to collect your bursary for the school term.” She said while clapping.

The rest of the class clapped loudly as well, although I could still hear various whispers-
Wow, that Ji Yong kid must be something to kick Eun Mi off the first place right after he comes.
Don’t speak so loudly! Can’t you see she is already very shocked by the news?
As expected of a Sejong High student.

Park Yong, on the other hand, received the bursary and smiled like he expected it all this time.

He glanced at me and feigned a surprised face, as if reminded of something, “Ah, Ms Om, is this bursary exclusive to the top scorer only? But Eun Mi said she received a bursary too?” He said as he sat down again.

“Err, Eun Mi has been our top scorer all this while.. so I guess.. she is referring to the previous times when she received her bursary? Haha..” She laughed awkwardly as she looked at me, as if trying to console me for losing my spot.

I grinded my teeth while staring at Park Yong – he must be doing it on purpose.

“So I guess this is a love letter after all?” He whispered with a smirk as he grabbed the envelop from under my desk.

When I finally realized what had happened and tried to get my ‘love letter’ back, he had already lost his smirk and was staring at the envelop.

I snatched it back while he made no effort to stop me, and left the class instead.

I paid no attention to his sudden weird behavior, and tried to smooth the creases the crumpled envelop which read – To Park Chan Yeol.