The (sort of) date (II)

The boy who taught me how to feel

“Not that way,” Chan Yeol grabbed my arm as I jogged towards the path on the left.

I thought it was because the path was too crowded for jogging, but instead he led me to a little store that I never took note of.

“Grandma!” He ran into the store excitedly.

I followed suit, slightly curious and confused.

Inside the run-down shop was an old lady layering rice on a piece of seaweed, and she looked just as happy to see Chan Yeol, whose tall build seems to take up a large amount of space in the tiny shop.

“Ah, good afternoon, grandmother,” I said awkwardly.

“Wah…. Channie ah, who is this pretty girl here? You finally got a girlfriend?”

“Ah, grandma, not yet…… This is Ah Mi, Chon Eun Mi. She loves to eat kim bap too! I wanted her to try the best kim bap in the world, so I had to come to you.”

“Hahaha, you always know the right words to say. I’ll get some for you two.”

We settled at the corner of the shop when the grandmother handed us 2 rolls of kimbap each.

“Ah, grandmother, do you want to join us?” I asked politely.

“Haha, it’s fine. I already had breakfast, besides, I think Channie has something to tell you.”

I looked at Chan Yeol with questioning eyes.

“Have a bite first!” He said nervously before grabbing a kim bap and shoving it into my face.

It. Was. The. Best. Kimbap. I’ve. Ever. Tasted.

“Ah Mi ah…. Do you remember when we first met?”

“Uh huh, at the music room. You were having a nap.”

“That was when you first met me.”

I finally raised my head from my kimbap, “Huh?”

“I…. first met Ah Mi when you were climbing the fence to get to school. And I thought… ha, what a mighty female.
Then I saw Ah Mi at the Cafeteria, you were having a kim bap, and you looked very blissful… like in your world, it’s only you and your kim bap, and nothing people say or do can harm you.
Then it was when you met me. I don’t exactly know how to interact with people, so when someone entered the music room while I was resting, my first instinct was to hide. But I saw that it was you. You looked so peaceful while you play the piano with ease. And although you might shun me like all the other students, I decided I had to talk to you…. That it was worth a try. Although our first encounter wasn’t long, I knew it was worth it – you weren’t afraid of me, I don’t think you even know me for the bad rumours about me. I….. don’t know when I started liking Ah Mi, but I think I do.
No, I am sure I do.”

All I could do was look at him, wide-eyed, with a mouthful of kimbap that I forgot to chew.

“I…. If Ah Mi is with me, I can bring you here to have kim bap every day.” He swallowed, eagerly waiting for my reply, but afraid of what it might be.

“I…” I started.

“It’s ok! You don’t need to reply me now. Just…. Reply me one day.”