Start of something new

The boy who taught me how to feel

I put my headphones on and played Yiruma – Kiss The Rain on my iPod while I proceeded to the detention room.

I was the first one to ‘sign in’ and found myself a seat in the corner.

The seats were slowly filled up by other students. To my surprise, none of them were creating any trouble like I imagined. Most slept while a small group of girls were doing manicures and styling their hair.

Until a new group came in.

“Oh? New face?” An irritating voice sounded.

I looked up from the last chapter of my Math textbook and saw a group of boys with similar long, oily hair making funny faces at me. And then reverted my gaze back to Math.

“Did you just ignore our Big Brother’s presence?” One of them pulled my headphones off and confronted me.

“Am I supposed to acknowledge it?”

They all seemed shocked by my reply, and one of them whispered to the boy who looks like the leader, “I know her! She went up on stage last year as the top scholar! She must be acting cocky just because there are a few teachers backing her up. We should teach her a lesson.”

I lifted my brows. Are they discussing a bully plan now? Shouldn’t it be more discreet instead of whispering loudly?

“Shut up! I don’t need you to suggest what to do! You! What’s your name?” The ‘leader’ demanded.

I looked down at the badge hanging on my school uniform, “Do you not know how to read?”

“WHAT? THIS B*TCH. YOU REALLY ARE SEEKING DEATH HUH? CHON EUN RI?”

(It’s Chon Eun Mi. He truly did not know how to read.)

I did not know how to react upon his amazing basic-reading mistake, and when I raised my head again he already had his fist held high. Ready to punch me, I assume. But God knows, these delinquents’ stupidity has been eye-opening for the past minutes.

I looked at him in the eyes, ready to brace the punch. (Honestly, I did not know what else to do. My only talent is playing the piano and maybe memorizing from books. Fighting is never an option for me.)

“URGH, WHO’S MAKING SO MUCH NOISE?” A loud bang on the table sounded, followed by a familiar voice.

I looked behind the ‘leader’ to see a tall figure standing at the other end of the room, rubbing his eyes as if he has just awaken.

For a few seconds, I just stared at the figure along with the rest of the delinquents. When he finally raised his head, it became clear why he felt familiar. We had just met an hour ago.

“Oi, Lee Bo Kyung, are you going around bullying others again? Was the last lesson not enough?”

“Wh… what? Ya, rascal, don’t think you’re the boss here just because you won me by a bit.”

“So I’m the boss if I win you by much, much more this time round?” He grinned.

“You… you. I am not interested in fighting you today. I have better things to do.” The leader said before scampering away.

 

“Oh, Piano!” He waved enthusiastically and walked to my table.

What is with the ridiculous nickname….

“Kim Chan Yeol,” I muttered while glancing at his name tag.

“Yep, that’s me! Ha ha. We met just now. You know, at the music room. I was there too.”

“Yea, I do. Thanks, again.” I wanted to resume my revision now that the matter is resolved but-

He smacked me hard on my back (I felt like my soul left my body for a second) and grinned, “Ha ha! You’re welcome! What are friends for, right?”

I widened my eyes at him. When have we became friends?

I didn’t know what I’ve gotten myself into.