The (sort of) picnic

The boy who taught me how to feel

During break time, I made sure Chan Yeol’s class was empty before tip-toeing to his seat and leaving the ‘love letter’ in his bag.
He should see it when he gets home no matter how dense he is.
I quickly left the classroom before anyone comes back and headed to the field where Chan Yeol is waiting for me.
As there are no physical education classes for the first week of school, the field is completely empty except for Chan Yeol who is waving frantically with a checkered mat beneath him.
Trust him to initiate a picnic in school between lessons……

During the 1 week break after examinations and Chan Yeol’s confession, we actually met up two more times – once to have the legendary kim bap by grandmother, and another to catch a movie.
On both occasions, I had tried to give him my reply. But every time I mustered enough courage and started, “About… the confession,” he would hurriedly interrupt me with all sorts of excuse like

“Kim bap doesn’t taste nice when it gets cold!” and stuff a kim bap into my mouth.

“But kim bap isn’t warm in the first place…..” I said while chewing.

Or “That was such a good movie right! The ghost’s make up is so well done.”

“But we caught a romantic comedy…..” I raised an eyebrow as he stuffed a pop-corn into my mouth.

To prevent him from stuffing more food into my mouth, I didn’t mention anything about the confession today, and decided to reply him in another way.

In the envelop, my short letter wrote,

Chan Yeol ah,

This Saturday, I’m going to make a special performance at Vorx Music Festival.

I’m not good with words, and you’re not good with replies.

I’ll tell you my answer there. I really hope you can turn up.

They gave me two tickets, so you can bring grandmother too.

Ah Mi