What is happening?

Brighten my world

I woke up like I did every morning.
It has already been more than a week since I met that boy and the girl that appeared next to him.
I haven't seen the ghost girl from school even once after that. And the boys? Are just as annoying as ever.
I wasn't able to reach my mother either.

And the worst thing from all these things... is that I couldn't bring myself to go to that crappy location even once.
But I wasn't gonna keep like that.

It was Thursday today and I was only waiting for the last bell of the day to ring. Teen Top were in a fight with another school and... well, they lost.
So it was no surprise that they were absent from school today. 'They really have a big mouth but aren't very promising...'

"So please make sure to fill out these forms for the four-days excursion next week. And don't forget to wear warm clothes and hiking shoes.
It will be a little cold. Also, we're going with a class from another school. If there is anything else important I'll tell you. Class dismissed." she said and took her things before exiting the classroom.

The students stood up and groaned from being tired out. I just collected my things, ready to leave when a group of my classmates came over.
Naeun came to me and smiled before she asked.

"Hyomi-ah~, wanna do something with us this time? Since the boys aren't here today."
"Actually, I was still planning on going somewhere after this." I said swinging my backpack over my shoulder.

She pouted before hooking arms with me. "Oh, come on! You have been with Minsoo and his friends the whole time. Please~ Only today, while they're absent. Hm?" she asked pulling aegyo faces. I admit that she looks really pretty but her cuteness wasn't something that could easily convince me.

I sighed, maybe it wouldn't be bad to make friends with the others from this class. "Alright. Where were you heading?"
"We're going to the noraebang... but first we're gonna meet up with someone."

I nodded. "When?" "In about 30 minutes at the gates" a guy answered. I looked at the group and took in the number of guys that were going to come too.
'Is this some kind of group date?' inwardly rolling my eyes I turned around. "See you there then, I'm going to go to the library and return a book."
They nodded with a smile, I passed them and exited the classroom. Just as I reached the library in the north wing my phone vibrated in my pocket.

Not paying any attention to it for now I made my way to the old lady that managed this library. To others she was a little stern and they described her as the moody old granny from the library... but she actually was a very warm-hearted person. She was nice from the moment I entered the library.
She had that grandmother personality to worry about everything and everyone. She'd probably make some tee if she hears someone sneeze. Today was no exception. She gave me a warm smile. I gave a little bow before I placed the books on the counter in front of her.

"I wanted to return these books." "Just on time like always~"
She was one of the few who knew about the story why I had no emotions, so my straight face didn't bother her.

"Before I forget it, the books you asked for came in today. I prepared them for you, so if you want to you can just borrow them now."
"That would be grate Mrs.Shin." I said politely.
"Alright then, I'll just write you down on the register." she answered and I nodded.

"Bye the, way... how is your husband doing?" I asked her, also knowing that her husband was hospitalized a few days ago.

She nodded. "He's getting better since you always ask after him every day." she said caressing my cheek.
"I'm glad to be of some help. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to visit him some day." I asked and she gave me a nod.

"He'd be happy to have a new visitor~ Now here are the books. Have fun reading them, dear" she said and handed me the books. I bowed in gratitude before taking the piled up books in my hands and bidding goodbye.
"Please tell your husband to get better soon. See you halmeoni~" I left the library and waved at her before exiting through the double door. I went to my locker on the same floor and opened it. I had to change into other clothes because we'd get into trouble if we were to get caught at the wrong place. You see, I sometimes have bad timing...
I got my exchange clothes and hurried to the restroom where I quickly changed. Not forgetting to pack my school uniform into my bag I went out.

I then walked down the hallways, passing students and waving or bowing to all those greeting me, who were older than me.
"See you tomorrow, Hyomi-ah~. Be careful on your way home."
"Neh~ Kamsahamnida, Sunbaenim. You too." I told him bowing my head.

This continued for a few minutes before I finally reached the entrance of the school building. I hopped down the stairs in front of the building and tightened the scarf around my neck. It was getting colder.
I could already see the others gathering at the gates, even though there still were six minutes left.

"You came~ This is Young Ji. Young Ji, this is Hyomi. Be friends you two. Now let's go." Naeun said and I could see how troubled the girl actually looked when she noticed that I wasn't smiling all brightly at her. I guess it made her feel a little less confident about herself.
Did she really think I was a mean . "Nice to meet you Young Ji." I said bowing and she did the same, bowing a little much more than I was actually used to. "Nice to meet you too. Let's get along~"
She had something kind and bubbly in her personality, I liked her. I gave a slight nod and walked next to her as the rest also joined and we walked off.

"Okay... where to go?" Naeun asked, walking hand in hand with the Flower Boy in our grade, Lee Taemin. Those two would even flirt if they were in the middle of a presentation... I sound like a dumb .

"I know! My friend works at a coffee shop nearby and I visited them once, the coffee is great." he said. I shot him a look, already having an idea which coffee shop he was talking about. "Do you by chance mean... that coffee shop?" a girl asked, making Taemin nod.
"Idiot! We've already been there with you. Don't act like it's your first time taking us to that cursed place." one of the guys grumbled.
"Well, Hyomi-ssi is new, so..." "Oh! that's right... Well, it's a long story about this Coffee Shop but don't worry, it's nothing big. The most important thing is... don't - No matter how handsome the waiter looks - try to do anything to get their attention." another guy said and I rolled my eyes.
'You're more than late...' I inwardly chuckled remembering Luhan's reaction when he saw me.
"Let's go then!" I said and didn't notice how overly motivated I was acting as I pulled them by their arms to walk faster.

"Wow, how eager." one chuckled. We walked faster since I wanted to arrive as soon as possible to learn more about that curse.
We almost gasped and halted in our steps when we saw how crowded it was.

Naeun chuckled a little. "Never knew it could get this crowded in there."
They groaned. "Can't we just directly go to the Noraebang?"
"No, let's go. We shouldn't just leave the others here now."

With another sigh they shuffled through the entrance.
I let my eyes drift over the place... and ended up gaping. The whole place was filled with guys and when I looked around the streets
every single female that passed the coffee shop kind of hissed at it.
It was weird. It just didn't make any sense. Pushing the weird feeling aside I went inside and caught up with the others.

"Why don't the boys go sit down while we get the drinks?" asked Naeun. "Okay." they agreed and while I looked around the shop they tried to memorize their orders. I looked to the counter and saw Chanyeol and another guy standing at the register, taking orders of two cues. They looked like they were in a hassle. Without bothering about the others I went up to the counter. I prepared myself to get cursed at by the guys that were waiting in the long cues but instead they just watched me. It was seriously creepy.

"Hey Chanyeol." I greeted him. He turned to me before smiling widely at me. "You came again!" he exclaimed excited.
I nodded. I leaned over a little. "Why is it so crowded today? Last time I came it was deserted..."
"Yeah, it's so crowded ever since you came to this shop. I guess they were happy to finally see a pretty girl in here."
"You're not serious, are you?" I asked, not believing what he said one bit.
"No, I'm being fully serious. Hyung even had to make us all work today and split our shift in two parts. I just started mine half an hour ago." he explained. I nodded in understanding. "Must be tough on you... are Luhan and Xiumin also here?"
"Well, Luhan is having break right now and is coming back soon... Xiumin is the less lucky one. He has to work the whole day since he's the barista." "Yah! Chanyeol, get to work already! I only have two hands." the guy on the other counter said in an hasty voice, looking almost panicked. "Sorry, beauty... but I gotta return to work." Without waiting for my answer he left to serve the customers.

I stepped away and looked around. I felt many stares on me and sometimes caught men staring at me, some looking away immediately while others dared to just look at me and grin in a flirtous way, making me shake my head and body in disgust before turning away and seeing a waiter rush out with four plates, two plates in each hand full of cake. And right after him two others with tablets filled with cups and glasses .

'Never knew that they would be in such stress' I sighed before making my way to the direction of the office where Andy should be.
But stopped midways. "He wouldn't agree anyway, but since it's my fault..."
I turned around and instead walked towards the kitchen. It was a little shameless to just feel free and walk around but I wasn't gonna sit by and watch people struggle.

I pushed through the door and saw how hectic it actually was. There were s many young unfamiliar faces. I felt a little awestruck seeing the kitchen and how they worked on preparing orders like cakes and drinks, they even prepared sandwiches.
In the middle of the crowd I spotted Xiumin at an secluded area at the coffee machine and another guy right next to him also preparing fresh coffee. I looked around the kitchen and spotted a small wardrobe. I walked to it without attracting attention and put my bag down before pulling off my jacket and throwing it over my bag. Looking around the small room I spotted a pile of white cloth. I walked over to it and folded one open. I inwardly smiled seeing that it was a apron. I put it on and tied up the ends behind my back.
I quickly tied my hair up in a loose ponytail before I straightened my clothes and walked out, turning off the lights on my way out.

I hurried over to one of the sinks and washed my hands, then disinfected them before drying them a bit and making my way to Xiumin who was busy preparing a coffee. "Boo." I said in a monotone voice after he put the cup down. He turned to me with wide eyes.
"Pretty Customer! What are you doing here?" he asked surprised. "How did you get in here... and who gave you that apron?" he said frowning.
"Answering all those question wastes too much time. Just tell me how I can help. Want me to get orders, swipe the floor? What can I help you with?"
"Uhh... you..." I knew he was about to tell me that I should leave, whether it was because I'd be in the way or because he didn't want to bother me, but a short look to the front of the coffee shop and he smiled at me.
"Then my dear Huimang (hope), how about you take that tray out to the tables. I already wrote down the orders of the tables.
And if you could... wash the dishes afterwards~ That would be great." he said.

I nodded taking the tray with one hand. "No problem. Leave it to me."

I walked out of the kitchen with the tray in one hand and walked towards one table.
"Here are your orders, one White Lady and one Chocolate Cream for the young boys. But be careful, it's hot."
I said flirtous with a wink before leaving to the next table.
I served all the orders before walking to a few other tables when I saw how people called for me.
They called me because something was dirty or because they wanted more water.

'So this is how they felt...' "Of course, I'll get someone to get it for you." I told the customer.
"It would be nice if you could bring it for yourself. The other waiters aren't very friendly with customers..."
I almost chopped his head off. 'You little mother-...'
I nodded slightly. "I understand." I gritted my teeth while walking away.
I walked back into the kitchen with a huff and pushed the door open. That caught the attention of all the other employees that were in the kitchen. "Guys, this is our life-saver. Huimang is gonna help us, so be nice to her." Xiumin said and I saw a few of them frown at me. But what made me sweat were their looks of hate I got from them. I quickly bowed before I went to Xiumin.
"Minseok-ssi, a customer wanted a glass of water. Could you please tell me where the glasses are, that I can use for that?" I asked him. He just showed me with a small point of his finger. I nodded before getting a glass and pouring water into it. I placed it onto the tray and went out again, not bothering to think about what they thought of me.
I walked to the customer.
"Here is your water. Please call if you need something~" I said and he winked at me. How could these people act like that after they saw my emotionless face. 'Oh, right. They are probably gonna give me a name like "Ice Princess"...'

I turned around and made my way towards the kitchen when somebody called me.
"Yah. Hyomi. What are you doing?" asked one of the boys that was sitting at the table with Taemin. The girls were also sitting with them by now.
"Oh. I'm just helping out. Did you already order?" I asked, trying to change the subject but they didn't really fall for it.
"Ah, yes. But..." Young Ji started.
"Huimang!" I heard someone call and I guessed it was Minseok, so I took a quick look back before looking at my classmates again.
"Guys, I'll explain everything later but I have to help in the kitchen first. Just order what you like, I'll treat today." I said before I quickly hurried to the kitchen, leaving them in confusion.
"But... I already... paid."

I entered the kitchen and quickly placed the tray down before I went over to the sink.
"I'm sorry..." I apologized to the guy that was standing at the sink.
I pulled my sleeves up and put on the rubber gloves before I started to wash the big pile of dishes.

About half an hour later I finished washing them but since customers kept coming and going the pile never ended.
"Huimang~" Minseok called and I turned to him.
"I'll quickly introduce you to the others." he said excited.
"Try to remember the names. You already know Chanyeol, did you see the guy next to him?" he asked. I gave a small nod.
"His name is Baekhyun. Be careful not to call him Bacon or you'll experience another World War. The ones baking the cakes over there
are Chen, Kyungsoo and our youngest Sehun~
Luhan will be back in a few minutes. He just had break. The tall guy that is serving the guest is Yi Fan but that name will just paralyze your face so call him Kris." he said.
"I'll try my best to memorize."
"Xiumin! Two Café-Lecholino, Orange Juice and a Cappuccino." Baekhyun called.
"Okay, break time over. Can you get these two trays out? They're both for the same table."
I nodded before taking the gloves off and wiping my hands a bit.

I took the first tray before I went out while Xiumin started preparing the order.
I walked towards the table of my classmates and stopped right in front of it.
I sighed. "You actually ordered more. You are gonna get sick if you eat too much cake." I said with a sigh as I took their piled plates and placed it onto the tray. They smiled at me.

"Don't worry, Umma. We have strong stomachs~ Why don't you join us?" Taemin joked and I just lightly hit him on the head, causing them to chuckle.
"Because I'm working for your food, you little dumb son of mine~" I played along. I really had the urge to smile. But I just couldn't.
I wiped the table a little while they still laughed.
Then I placed down their orders. I went back to the kitchen and got the second tray.


"Do you want me to get you something else to drink?" I asked them at which they just shook their heads no.
"Alright, but don't forget the Noraebang later." I said and they nodded. I then left to the kitchen.

At my way there, as I was about to enter the kitchen, I bumped right into Yi Fan who was coming out of the kitchen at that moment. Even though nothing got damaged or dirty he glared at me as I slightly stumbled back.
"Can't you even look where you're going? What are you even doing here? es like you who are dumb aren't allowed here. I only stayed silent because Xiumin told us that you were different but here you are, throwing yourself at a guy." he spat with so much venom I wanted to throw up.

Without noticing some people were already looking at us.

I didn't do anything wrong but felt bad and guilty. But why should I show it?
I just bowed instead. "I'm very sorry. I wasn't expecting anybody to come out of the kitch-"
"Do you think I want to hear your excuses? I told you to leave!" he said and pushed me a little.
Not expecting the push I stumbled back and almost fell but I suddenly bumped into someones chest.

"Stop shouting. The customers are watching." a familiar voice said behind me. I felt someones hands steady me as he grabbed my shoulders before pushing me and Yi Fan into the kitchen.
I turned my head to look at the person and saw that it was Luhan. I stepped away from him and bowed.
"Thanks for catching me." "It's alright." he said before turning back to Yi Fan.

"Why are you helping her?" Yi fan asked.
"Because you are pushing her around and accusing her of something she didn't do. On top of that you still owe her something. We all do."

"Owe her, my ! Do you even know what she did to me?"
"Do you even know what she did for us?" Luhan asked furious.
"Do you even hear yourself speaking sometimes?"

It wasn't nice to stand between two fighting people.
And since they were fighting because of me it was even worse.

"You are the one who is insane."
"You know what? I don't owe that anything. Because she is just like all those other dumb chicks!"
"She's not you dumb idiot. And you owe her more than you'd think."
"How would you know?!"
"Because she is the reason why we still have our ing jobs!!" Luhan shouted and all that could be heard was his raged breathing.

Everybody was silent, but, thank god, I guess the people outside didn't hear since they were still happily chatting away.
"We'll talk later about that... let's work for now. Hm?" Minseok said and everybody agreed.
I hated this moment the most, when people think they owe you something just because you did something good for them.
I sighed. Luhan smiled at me.
"I'm happy that you came back. Are you helping out by chance?" he asked, I nodded.
"Thanks, as you can see we're pretty busy these days. How about you help in here and I'll help Kris to serve the people." he said.
"Alright. I'll... see where I can help." I told him and slightly bowed as a thanks.

He patted Kris on the back and went to the wardrobe to change.
I pulled my sleeves up again and went to look where I could help.
"Hey, Huimang~ Could you help the guys with the pastries?"  "Of course." I said and went around the counter before I cleared my throat.
They looked up at me.

"I wondered if I could help you." I asked. They stayed silent at first.
Then Kyungsoo spoke up. "We need all the hands we can get right now. Wash your hands first, then put on a pair of gloves. Chen needs some help with decoration of the cake." he said. I looked at him appreciative and nodded.

I did as he told me and then joined Chen. He was making flowers in different colors.
"How can I help you?" "Uhm... you could..." he looked around and I sensed what his worries were.
"I'm good at cake decoration. I did a training as an confectioner when I was young." I told him.
"Just tell me what to do and I'll do it." I told him and he smiled.
"That's impressive. Then how about you do the icing? It's already prepared." he said. I nodded and took the bag filled with the icing before I started to decorate the cake with it.

"Alright. That was the last cake. Thanks for your help Huimang. You helped us a lot." Kyungsoo said and Chen smiled at me before ruffling my hair and carrying the pastries out where they were put to display.

They were really nice. But there were three to go. Kris still didn't trust me, I didn't yet get to meet Baekhyun and Sehun hasn't spoken a single word to me. He only spoke to the other guys when it was necessary.

I saw that Sehun was starting to wash the dishes, so I decided to go and help him. I took off the plastic gloves before putting on the pair of rubber gloves and standing next to him.
"Let's do it together. We'll be faster that way." I said and he looked at me in surprise.
I took the dishes and cleaned them, then passed them over to Sehun who rinsed them off with water end put them to dry.

We started in silence and after about five minutes he looked at me and cleared his throat before continuing.
"Go on." I told him, knowing that he had something to say.

"Can I ask... why you always have the same blank expression?" he asked the common question and I noticed the lisp he had in his speech.
"I mean, not once until now did I see you smile, frown or show any other emotions."

I sighed. "Well, it's a long story and a story which I hate remembering about... but I don't mind telling it anymore.
Well, I had an accident as a child. It happened 6 years ago when I still was 12 years old. A guy kidnapped me that time..." I started as I looked up into the air.

"What are you doing, ahjussi? Ahjussi! Don't do this, Ahjussi!" I shouted and begged. I was screaming and crying, I kept jumping on the chair to get free but the ropes just cut my wrist.
The whole warehouse was on fire by now and it was hot. I started to sweat and screamed for help. The smoke in the warehouse started to fill up my lungs and I coughed heavily.
I kept struggling and somehow managed to get rid of the rope. Without hesitation I stood up and ran towards the door.

" I still remember how good it felt to finally be outside, but the place I was kept in just exploded and when I fell I hit my head on something on the ground. I could hear my name being called and the sirens but passed out in the end."

I sighed and looked down as I scrubbed the same plate for a while now, so I handed it to Sehun who slowly took it.

"I guessed that it was either a mental shock or because of some damage my brain took when I fell, causing my face to go emotionless. I haven't smiled or cried for the past 6 years and I admit... it's getting on my nerves."

After that it was silent for a while. "I can't imagine how something like that could happen to somebody. For you to go through all that, I think you're very strong." he said.
"Thank you."

I handed him another plate when suddenly Andy came in.
"Good work guys~ I see smiling customers. Keep up the good work" he said and smiled at each one of them before he spotted me.
"Ah! You... what are you..."
"Huimang came to help, hyung." Minseok said and I nodded.
"H-Huimang?" he said confused before smiling at me and waving me over.
"Follow me."

"Go on, I'll finish this." Sehun said and I nodded before taking the gloves off and hurrying after Andy as he walked up some staircase.
He entered his Office and I followed him inside.
"Sit down, make yourself comfortable. Make yourself at home~" he said and I sat down in front of him.

"You are truly our last stray of hope. Ever since you visited us the last time, the shop has been filled with people. We have so many customers now. And you even helped the boys out~ What would you think about starting to work here?" he said.
"Huh?" I asked dumbfound, he just smiled.

"I know the pay isn't that high but what do you think?"

"Well, I have nothing against the idea of working here, but did you consider asking the guys about their opinion?"
"What do you mean?"
"These guys have built a safety fence around themselves in case any girl gets too near to them."
"But from what I saw just now they looked like they could accept you."
"But would they like to work with me? That's what you have to ask them. If they are ready to work with a girl without seeing me as the enemy."
"Please think about it. I'll ask them and I bet they'll agree... but please! I beg you on my knees. Help this Coffee Shop.
I think you could even get us a few female customers."
'Does he even realize that those female customers are the reason why I keep getting shouted at?'

"To tell the truth... because of that curse nobody wants to come here. They are scared. But if they saw, that a female works at this place and nothing happens to you, then they would realize that it all was coincidence and that there is no curse."

I sighed. "I'll help you but you'll have to get their approval first." I said and he smiled before nodding.

"Everything you want. Then fill out this contract and just send it to my home, the address is written down on the last page. If you'd like to you can start next week on Monday. Just come over after school and I'll tell you the rest." he said and handed me the contract.

"All this even before he asked them..." I mumbled to myself. "Here is you payment for today~" he said and held up a stack of bills.
"What... I don't-" he cut me off by pushing me outside.
"Then, thank you again~" he said smiling before closing the door. I felt dumbfound but shook it off. He was being generous. I bowed before I left and went downstairs again where I quickly hid the papers in my schoolbag. Then I ran back to the others in the kitchen.

"Huimang..." Xiumin called me over. I walked to him and saw them all gathered at one place, all but Chanyeol who was probably still at the register.

"Thank you again for helping, Huimang~" Minseok said and I waved it off. "also, somebody wanted to apologize." he said before nudging Yi Fan who just cleared his throat and looked everywhere but at me.
"Uhm... I- I'm..." he scratched his his head before rubbing his neck.
'Ouh~ First time apologizing to somebody... I feel honored'

"I apologize for earlier... I-I'm sorry..." he said looking down as Chen and Minseok patted him on the back.
"It's already forgotten. By the way, I'm Lee Hyomi. Please forget the formalities." I said and held my hand out for him to shake.
He looked at me in surprise before slowly taking my hand and stiffly shaking it. His hand was much bigger than mine.

"Well, then... I guess this order still has to go out?" I asked Minseok after letting go of Kris.
"Ah, yes. Luhan was about to-"
"I'll do it. Since you're about to close soon. You need to rest a little. You all worked hard today." I said before taking the tray and going out.

Again it was the table of my classmates that ordered. I walked over to them.
"Here are your orders, guys." I said before I placed them down.
"Ah, Hyomi-ah, thank you. A friend of mine is gonna come soon, how about you wait with us here? I have to introduce him to you." said Taemin.

"Your friend?"
"They are more like brothers~" said Naeun at which they all laughed. That's when I saw it!
Young Ji's laugh. It was like you put her on mute while was wide open but she tried to quickly cover it up.
I pulled her hands away as she kept laughing.
"Your laugh is cute, don't cover it!" I told her.
"Are you making fun of this dork?" i shook my head. "It's charming. Show your confidence, boys like that." I told her. I put everything else on the tray.

"Oh. He's coming." one of the guys said.
Naeun gasped. "Go get changed, quick."
"Why should I do that?" I asked her. "Because he is single, super hot and you have to make a good first impression on him. I'm trying to be your Amor right now! So go change." she said before standing up and pushing me to the kitchen. I could hear them laugh behind.
"Is that really necessary right now? I don't need a boyfriend..."
"Shht!" she silenced me before giving me a 'go!' look. I sighed before I entered the kitchen.

Just in the right moment Minseok came over to me.
"Thanks again for your help!" he said and hugged me. I just patted his back.
"How often are you going to mention that?"
As he pulled back he suddenly held the apron in his hand.
"When did you..." I started as I eyed the apron I was wearing a second ago.
"Doesn't matter. Go take your things. Your friends are probably waiting." he pushed me to the wardrobe.

I gathered my things before he started pushing me out again. "Wait a minute." I said and stopped.
He looked at me in confusion.
I pulled out the money I received earlier and handed it to Minseok.
"What is this?" "Money I don't need and money that I don't want. You keep it."
"Wh-" "Doesn't matter." I cut him off before waving. "Good night, guys. It was fun."

I exited the kitchen without waiting before I approached the table of my classmates again. They were already finished eating and were greeting some guy. Probably Taemin's friend. They started to pack their things when I reached them.
"Are you finished?" Minho asked and I nodded.
"Meet Kim Kai, Taemin's lookalike~"
I turn to the said boy and got surprised for a second.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Lee Hyomi." I said to him.
He nodded. "Pleased to meet you too." he said and smiled a little.
He held his hand out and I took it before we shook hands.

"Let's go. The Noraebang is waiting!"

 


 

Merry Christmas~

Kisses n' Hugs

 - Lemlouma <3<3<3