The Unicorn and the Deer

To Hate, To Love

HERA


I woke up to a stormy atmosphere, as in the boys are so rowdily laughing in front of the TV. They’re noisier than that of a jet engine!

I rose from my bed, put on my white-rimmed glasses, combed my hair a little bit, and then went out of the room to go to the bathroom.

If the noise was so irritating, the scene was much worse. The living room was so cluttered with cushions flying everywhere, ramyeon cups, soda cans and things I don’t have a way to describe.

The boys are dressed casually; as what Suho said a few hours ago, they’re free for today. They were watching a gag show on TV and they cannot hold back their laughter. I think they’re even exaggerating their laughs. Suho sat beside Kris on the carpet, laughing along with the rest of the gang.

Suho, the second he saw me, bolted right up from his comfortable sit and shushed the laughing hyenas. He went over to me.

“You could have done that earlier,” I said.

“What what?” he said, a smile stuck on his face.

I felt annoyed. “Make them a bit quieter. Sheesh, Suho.” I poked his arm in frustration. “You know I didn’t get to sleep last night.”

“Oh, sorry, I forgot… because the gag show was really funny,” he laughed.

I looked over at the boys again and noticed that Xiumin, Lay and Luhan are not around.

“Where’s the rest of you guys?” I asked.

“Still sleeping,” he said, looking over at the TV.

I’m so envious of them that they can sleep with all the ruckus caused by this bunch of monkeys. I need to know how they do it.

Baekhyun laughed in the background and the rest followed. “Look at that guy,” he pointed at the TV, laughing. “I think my tummy’s going to break!” he laughed even harder. With that, I couldn’t help but laugh as well.

I pouted. “Fine, you’re forgiven for waking me up.”

“Sorry,” he said, still smiling because of the show.

I went for the bathroom but stopped. “Suho,” I called.

He looked at me. “What?”

“Clean up. The living room looks like a dump site.”

“Yes m’lady.”

 

Afternoon came and the dorm was flipped 180 degrees. The living room was spotlessly clean; I saw Suho’s leader side as he made everyone clean the place. The living room was quieter than usual; everyone except me, Lay and Luhan are awake. Lastly, the TV is in its black-blank self for a change.

I left Suho in our room as he takes a nap. I went to the living room and saw Luhan reading a book and Lay playing a guitar softly, seating next to each other.

I sat on the carpet with my sketch book on hand.

Luhan looked up from his book. “Hey, don’t sit there. Lay,” he looked at Lay, “get out of the couch, palli!” he order the peacefully-playing-his-guitar-in-peace, eyes-closed Lay.

“No it’s fine; I’ll sit here,” I said, already stretching my legs on the carpet, resting my back on the couch next to Lay’s feet.

“But…” Luhan started.

“It’s okay oppa; it’s comfortable here.”

I heard a smack of a book to an arm. Lay whimpered, “Ouch. Hey, Lu-ge!”

I grin at their action. I opened my sketch book to the last gown that I drew. I started to add details when I felt someone breathing in my shoulder. I looked over and got startled as Lay’s face was inched from mine, looking at my drawing.

“On my… you scared me,” I said, holding my chest in shock.

“That’s pretty,” he said, smiling slightly. “Are you going to make it into a dress?” he asked.

I nodded. “That’s my work; design and make clothes.”

“Just for girls?” he asked again.

“No. I also design guy clothes.”

“Oh. Can I see your design of guy clothes?” he insisted.

I eyed him. “I don’t have them with me. All I have is this,” I tapped the sketch book.

“That book’s pretty thick to only draw gowns. Why don’t you draw guy clothes in there?”

His questions are endless! I gazed at him curiously as to why is he asking so many questions. Again, I heard a book hit muscle. Lay cried, “Lu-ge!” as he massaged his back.

“Quit disturbing Hera,” he looked annoyed. “We’re sorry for bothering you,” he apologized on Lay’s behalf.

“It’s okay,” I lied.

My attention was back on my book again. I shaded a portion of the gown and Lay was again on my business.

“Can you draw me?” he asked.

I looked at him. His eyes we’re wide as he waited for my answer.

“I think so,” I said.

I’m a decent portrait sketcher. I have drawn countless face and all of them are delighted at my work.

“Can you draw me now?” he asked.

“Zhang Yi Xing!” Luhan called. “Isn’t your body painful enough?” he threatened, holding his book up, ready to strike.

“Okay, I’m sorry,” he held his hand up in defeat. “It’s just that her drawings are so good I’m really interested if she can draw me.”

I inhaled deeply and let the air out. “Fine, I’ll draw you.”

Lay’s eyes widened, so did Luhan’s.

“But you have to stay still until I tell you to move,” I told him. “It’s going to be really uncomfortable and boring. Are you still up for it?”

He nodded, a smile on his face.

Luhan sighed in defeat. “Zhang Yi Xing, you really are something. Ben dan."

Lay sat next to me on the carpet. “How should I pose?”

“Just look straight at me,” I told him as I flipped the book to a blank page.

When finally I was ready, pencil on the go, I faced Lay and crossed my leg. He did the same thing.

He smiled at me, showing his deep dimple. He wasn’t moving and stayed still to indicate that that face is what I should draw.

I smiled. “Ready?”

He nodded.

I drew in silence. Lay really was motionless in front of me as I drew his face. He would blink from time to time as it was natural, but other than that, he’s a statue. Luhan, in the middle of my sketch session, was intrigued of my drawing and scooted over to look at the sketch.

“Woah. You’re really talented,” he complimented. “And you chose gowns and clothes over portraits,” a bit of laugh escaped from his lips.

“How do I look hyung?” Lay asked, looking at Luhan.

I glared at him. “I said, don’t move.” And then he was motionlessly looking at me again.

After a few more stokes and shading, I showed Lay my work.

“WOAH! It’s me!” he shrieked. “It’s me in pencil.”

I laughed at his words. “You like it?”

“It’s me! It’s me!” he kept on repeating. “I like it so much.”

“Okay now, give it to me.” I reached for the book but he moved it away.

“Wait; I still want to stare at me,” he smiled at my work.

“Come on,” I said, pulling it from his clutches. “I’ll give it to you in a frame.”

He beamed. “Promise?”

I nodded. “Promise.”

Lay looked at Luhan with a wide grin on his face. “Luhan-hyung, did you see me?” he said pointing at my sketch book. “I was gorgeously drawn!”

Luhan smiled. “If it wasn’t for Hera’s talent, you will not look like that guy on the drawing.”

“Lu-ge,” he pouted. “Don’t annoy me.”

I smiled at their conversation. I had a glimpse of the guitar that was lying on the couch where Lay was sitting earlier.

“I needed payment now,” I declared.

Lay was wide-eyed looking at me. “I need to pay?”

I nodded.

“How much?” he gulped.

I tapped the guitar.

“No, no. I can’t give you my guitar.”

Luhan and I laughed.

“Yi Xing you are so gullible”, Luhan managed to say between laughs. Clearly, Luhan knew what I meant.

Lay was staring at the both of us in puzzlement.

“I mean play me a song,” I said. “I wasn’t taking your guitar.”

“You could have just told me,” he said, scratching his head.

“Fine, I’m sorry. My fault,” I apologized.

Lay took the guitar and placed it on his lap. He loosened his fingers before placing his left hand on the guitar’s neck and then strummed a soft C.

“Now, it’s my turn to show my talent,” he said, strumming an introductory adlib.

He played a tune that sounded like summer on the beach. It felt summery and warm and inviting. He slightly bit his lip as he was entranced on his own melody. I captivated by his playing. I listened in delight.

When he was done playing, I clapped.

“You’re very, very good,” I complimented.

He smiled, slightly embarrassed as his face reddened.

“Thanks.”

“I hope I can play as good as you,” I told him.

“You can play?” he asked, looking interested.

“Yeah…”

I was handing me the guitar. “Play,” he insisted.

“No,” I smiled as I rejected. “Not after your performance.”

“Ah, just play whatever,” he tried aegyo; still didn’t work.

I gently pushed the guitar away. “Maybe next time.”

He beamed. “Yeah, okay. Maybe then we can play together.”

“Okay,” I agreed. “But I don’t have a guitar with me.”

“It’s okay. I’ll kidnap Chanyeol’s guitar.” He smiled evilly.

 

 


I hope you enjoyed reading this update. Thanks!

Oh, can you tell if it's bold text or not? Is the text style confusing? I'll change my layout if you guys are having a hard time reading it. Nevertheless, I'll put reminders on the very beginning. Thanks again.

Crina~