River of Love

To Hate, To Love

SUHO


Hera stared at the passing scenery. The city’s lights glimmered in her eyes. She looked even more stunning. I tried to give myself a mental slap to look at something else but failed; I still end up looking at her.

Soon the scenes changed and now Hera knew the place I’m taking her to. Her eyes lit up.

“Han River,” she whispered.

The driver parked the car. “We’ve arrived sir.”

I stepped out of the car and ran to the other side to open Hera’s door. I offered a hand and she gladly took it.

The wind passed and cold air ran to my skin. Hera shivered; I should have considered the temperature before coming here.

“I didn’t know it’s going to be freezing out here. Maybe we should go home.” I was filled with concern.

“No, let’s stay for a bit,” she said, her eyes darted to the water.

“But…” I hesitated. “Fine, just for a while.”

We never left the security of the car; we stood just a few feet from it. Hera said fans might be coming from left to right so we need an escape if ever that happens.

“Beautiful,” she said. “I never understand why I’m so attracted to a few ripples and waves of this river.”

I smiled. “Han River has that influence in you too, huh?”

She looked at me. “What do you mean?”

“I’m also attracted to the river.”

“Oh,” she pouted. “I can believe I’ll get jealous of a river. I guess I’ll be fighting Han River for a space in your heart.”

Jealous of a river? A space in my heart?

In an instant, her words rang inside my head, playing and replaying. I was rooted on my spot thinking WHY would she think like that.

Hera shivered in mine. I looked at her arm and it was covered in goose bumps. She’s starting to freeze. She kept on rubbing her arm. Quickly, I let go of her hand that I was holding and took off my coat. Why didn’t I do this earlier? Joon Myeon, you babo!

I put the coat over her shoulders and she smile at the gesture. “Thanks,” she said, eyes fixated to mine.

“I rubbed her arms to keep her warm. “I told you we should go home. Look at you now; you’re freezing.”

“Thanks hubby, but I want to stay a little bit longer.”

I’m getting used to it now, her pet name to me. HUBBY. The thing I dreaded to hear the most from her lips has grown to me.

Yoon Hera. I always call you evil but you have more good in you than the opposite.

Yoon Hera. You have so much charm and beauty and it emanates on everything you do.

Yoon Hera. I’m getting fond of you and am getting afraid of this feeling.

Yoon Hera. What are you doing to me?

She sighed, but a smile crept into her lips. “You know what, I’ve seen the Grand Canal in Venice yet, to me, nothing beats Han River. This place is more romantic.”

I smiled. “Do you want to know what I call it?” I pointed at the vast waters.

“I’m guessing River of Love,” she said. She laughed at my surprised face.

“How did you know what I was thinking? Hokshi… can you read minds?” I said shocked.

“I call it that too,” she said, looking at the river. “I guess great minds think alike.” She giggled.

“I have my reason for calling it that,” I said. “My parents met and fell in love in this river. I seriously wanted to feel something like what they felt for each other.” I sighed, then regretted. I smiled guiltily at Hera. “Yeah… so… that’s why I call it that. What about you?”

“I think… I fell in love in this river. I think I met the perfect guy.”

I was shocked at the revelation. I think my heart fell to the ground. I have this urge of letting her hand off mine.

“What?!” I asked. “And here I am holding your hand. Thanks a lot,” I said, sarcasm all over it.

She pouted. “Just listen to me.” She pointed to a distant spot to our right. “Over there,” she said, “I met this guy and I THINK I fell in love. Like love at first sight.”

“So you kept on bugging me with this husband-for-a-week-hating-revenge-thing but you’re already smitten to another guy.” Seriously, I wanted to fling her hand away.

Her grip tightened. “Hey, don’t blame me; the guy was so charming.”

“Oh yeah? What did he do to make you feel that way?” I said, getting pissed.

Why am I pissed? Why am I so worked up on this?

I can’t believe I’m getting so annoyed to a guy I will never know and don’t have an ounce of want to know.

“Well, I was standing over there,” she pointed again to the spot where he met the guy, “and there was this kid who ran passed me and fell to the ground. I ran to him to help but this handsome guy help the kid as well. He looked at me, and I smiled at him. I wanted to melt on the spot.”

But… that was…

She smiled so wide. “Funny… he looked just like you.”

That was… me?

“Are you kidding me?” I asked, lungs malfunctioning. I think I was out of breath. “You mean you like that guy… I mean… me?”

He hands slithered around my waist. “What’s not to like?” she whispered.

My heart was racing again, million miles per hour!

“This… is… a… joke… right?”

She whispered, “I hope I’m joking.”

 

We were quiet on the way to the dorm, but our hands are intertwined. I looked out the window of the car as she was doing the same on the other side.

This girl beside me LIKES me, probably even LOVES me.

I can’t think straight. What is happening?

Our hands let go upon arriving at the building of our dorm. The doorman gladly opened the door for us. The elevator ride was so long it felt like forever.

I looked at Hera’s expression. Her eyes darted at the floor. She was a bit sad. Is she sad because she told me her secret? Is she sad that I know that she likes me? I wonder…

“Are you alright?” I asked.

She only smiled.

“Come on, what’s wrong?” I asked again. “You look…”

“I’m just tired.”

I zipped my lip.

I opened the door of our dorm. EXO was in another round of yelling at the TV, watching a variety show for a change.

“Good evening,” they greeted.

When they saw Hera in her stunning red dress, immediately, mouths fell to the carpet. Hera just walked pass the approving stares at her and went straight to our room. She closed the door gently but felt so heavy to me.

Tao stood up. “Hyung, I envy you so much.”

“She’s so beautiful hyung!” Baekhyun giddily commented.

I walked pass them as well and headed to our room.

I heard Luhan-hyung said, “Something wrong?” but ignored him.

I opened the door and saw Hera sitting on her bed. “Are you mad at me?” she immediately asked when she saw me.

“Honestly, no. Why should I?”

She exhaled. “I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For telling you that…”

I sat beside her. “No harm done, Hera. It’s okay. Besides, it’s not too often that a beautiful girl like you tells someone as simple as me that she likes me.”

A slight smile formed in her lips. “Trust me when I say you’re not just simple.” She looked at her outstretched legs.

“I’ll take that as a compliment then.”

I stood up, and she did the same. “Can I hug you?”

NOT AGAIN? I will have a heart attack soon.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because I said so.”

I stretched my arms wide. She walked towards me and hugged me, a little tighter this time.

“Thanks, Suho.”

“No problem.” I tried to calm my heart down but to no avail.

She let go. “I have to change now. Leave, please.” She smiled.

 “Yes, Miss Yoon.”

“Thank you Mr. Kim.”

I closed the door behind me.

Luhan-hyung was wide-eyed waiting for me just outside the door. “What happened? Why did she look like that?”

I smiled. “She met the guy of her dreams tonight.” I wanted it to feel like a joke to me but fail, yet again.

“And?”

I smiled. “He’s really handsome.”

“Ah, seriously, what’s up?”

“Nothing, she’s just guilty that I knew about the guy she’s having a crush on.” I smiled even wider.

I went over to the couch and sat next to Tao. “Ya, you!”

“What did I do?” Tao was surprised.

“Envy me?” I evilly smiled.

He nodded with a pout.

I looked over to Luhan-hyung and he still has a curious look on his face. Sorry guys, but you will never know what I knew tonight.

 

 

______________________________

I noticed that there were typos on the previous chapters. I'm sorry for that. Sorry if there are typos in this chapter as well.

Crina~