Love at First Sight

To Hate, To Love

HERA


I lied. I lied to Joon Myeon.

It wasn’t love at first sight in Han River. It was love at first sight right before the merge.

Years ago, my parents are planning of the merge with Genesis. They have everything planned for me to be wed to the son of Genesis’ CEO. They were excited not because I’m getting wed off; they’re excited on expanding their business. Like I said before, all of this is business. Getting engage to Joon Myeon is just business.

 

My parents and I were invited to a dinner in Genesis to talk about the engagement. I was furious to know that my own parents are handing me to someone I don’t know. And yet they know how hopelessly romantic I am. I want the real thing.

It was torment to stay in the dining area, staring at soon-to-be-fiancé’s parents and mine. I tried to act calm but my heart beats in anger. I wanted to shout how I hated that moment. Then and there, they are ruining my life.

I stood up angrily from my chair and darted for the door. My mother tried to stop me but to no avail.

I headed for the exit, tears on the brim. Suddenly, a guy bumped at me from the back.

I saw his angry face changed to apologetic.

“I’m sorry,” he said, bowing 90 degrees. “Did I hurt you?”

I stared at him and my heart pounded in my chest. His eyes, though not directly staring at mine, penetrated into my soul. His face can take your breath away. He looked perfect to me. In his grey tuxedo and lightly tousled brown hair, he captured not only my attention but also my heart. I think I fell in love… at first sight. 

“Mr. Kim,” an elderly guy in black tuxedo ran after the guy that bumped me. “Mr. Kim,” he yelled again.

“What do you want, Secretary Park?” the guy in front of me answered.

When the elderly is close to the two of us, he spoke in gentle voice and talked to younger one, rather comfortably, losing the formality.

“Joon Myeon-ah, your father is furious, you have to go to the dining hall,” the elderly guy said. “He’s so mad I don’t know what he’ll do with you.”

JOON MYEON. KIM JOON MYEON.

The name rang in my head. He’s my betrothed. I’m going to be engaged to him.

“I’m not accepting this stupid engagement. I’m the owner of my life, not them. Aren’t they happy that hyung’s already engaged with the daughter of the telecommunications company? Now, they want to torment me. They’re too much!” Joon Myeon said in hushed but angry voice.

I stood in front of them like I was invisible. They kept on talking not realizing that I am the girl that’s about to be engaged to the handsome man in front of me.

“ this business! They’ll never make get engaged.” With those words, Joon Myeon walked out of the hotel.

Secretary Park stood in awe at the younger guy’s statement. He looked at me, this time carefully, trying to recognize the face they ignore a while ago.

“Yoon Hera-sshi,” he said in gasp. “I have to apologize.” He bowed.

I stared at the door, looking at Joon Myeon’s back as he waited for a taxi. “Is he…”

Secretary Park understood. “Yes, he is you’re future fiancé.”

“But…”

“He is furious at the thought of engagement and marriage,” he said. he tried to explain what Joon Myeon was feeling and kept on going until he finally consoled me about the situation.

“Miss Yoon, I’m afraid I will also have to you back to the dining hall,” Secretary Park insisted.

After I stormed out of the dining hall, I knew it’s going to be a mistake going back. But seeing and knowing who my fiancé’s going to be, my feet made its move back to the dining hall, my heart leading the way.

I have to see him again. I want to see him again.

I stepped into the dining hall and four pairs of eyes looked my way. I apologized and swallowed my pride. Without Joon Myeon, both parties agreed to the engagement; the merge was on its way to compliance.

 

Coming back to Korea from Italy, getting more attention from the public now than before as a rising fashion designer, is a brand new start.

Although I came home for work, I needed to see Joon Myeon. We haven’t seen each other in person, yet I think I know him very well.

I got to ask his parents about him. Now, he’s also starting to get famous, and fast. He’s group is called EXO and they are good singers and dancers, in my opinion. I stalked them on every video they have on the internet and their messages in social media. Seeing him is not a want, but a need.

I need to get close to him, to know him, to be able to talk to him, hug him, and kiss him maybe, before it’s too late. My obsession has gone too far but I don’t care.

I blackmailed him when we met; it was my only choice. I need to know him.

When I made the decision of living with him in their dorm, my stomach’s in a flutter and my heart pounded in excitement. It’s the only way. Just one week.

 

I lay in bed thinking of decisions. Have I done something wrong or something right? But being this close to Joon Myeon, I think I made the right decision.

“Still awake, I see,” his voice startled me. He was sitting on his bed, looking at me casually. “What are you thinking?” he asked.

“N-nothing. Just work,” I stammered a lie.

He stood up and sat next to me.

“Something’s wrong…” he eyed me quizzically. “There’s got to be something going on when you’re wide awake in three in the morning.”

I glared. “Then, why are you awake?”

He smiled. “Toilet.”

“Oh…” I smiled. “Then go. What are you doing there sitting beside me?” I pushed him off my bed.

He pointed at me with a smile. “I’ll be back.”

He left.

I love how he smiles at me, even though it aches to think that he’s just forced of doing so because I blackmailed him.

I really don’t have the right or power of changing the engagement contract. But there’s something really big and bad going to happen to me. It lurks with every tick of the clock, change of the day, as my stay in EXOS’s dorm is closing in to an end.

The door creaked open and Joon Myeon came in.

He sighed. “Sleep, Hera. You’ll be damn tired tomorrow if you don’t sleep.” He sat beside me again.

I sat right up and hugged my knees. I stared at him.

He held my arm and tried to lay me down. “Sleep. Now. I order you.”

“You can’t make me,” I pouted, trying to restrain his push.

“I’m your husband so you should listen to me.”

Why does that sound so perfect yet so heart-breaking at the same time?

“Husband…” I whispered.

“Yes, husband. So go to sleep now or my group mates will laugh at you when they see bags under your eyes. Come on,” he pushed again, this time giving in. I held on to his hand in the process. I felt him shiver.

“Do you guys have schedule for tomorrow?” I asked.

“N-no. None,” he answered, looking at our hands.

I held even tighter and the temperature of his hand dropped.

“Are you cold?” I asked.

He shook his head. He sighed. “Let’s just sleep.” His hand left mine as he tucked me in my sheet. His face, even at the poorly lit room, shone like it was midday. I wanted to look at his face, that angelic face that emanates so much perfection in my eyes, even just a little longer. The concern on his face made me even crazier.

He smiled. “Good… morning. See you again in a bit.” He walked to his bed and tucked himself under the sheet.

I looked over at him. He immediately closed his eyes as his body came in contact with the comfort of his bed.

“I’ll see you in my dreams,” I whispered to myself.

I’m guilty of obsession, but I’m not ashamed of it.

 


Lazy author-nim didnt proof read. Sorry for typos.

Crina~