"Happy Birthday..."

Down the Road

Listen to Woohyun's duet with Lucia, '선인장 (Cactus)' while you read!  I adore this song so much.  Makes me cry tears every time I listen to it.  

 

~*~

Chapter XI

“Happy Birthday…”

 

1월 21

Woohyun sat beside Myungsoo’s bed, holding Myungsoo’s limp hand in his hand.  The quiet beeps of the machines beside Myungsoo’s bed slowly calmed Woohyun’s anxious heart, but he was still so worried for him. 

How many times has they sat beside Myungsoo’s bed in the past few weeks?

Every day was the answer.

Every day waiting to see if Myungsoo would open his eyes again.

Every day leaving without seeing Myungsoo’s eyes.

The only time Myungsoo had opened his eyes in the long few weeks was that time that Hoya was with him.  After that, all of their hopes were raised for a little while, but soon they fell again as he didn’t show any signs of waking.

Woohyun sighed and smoothed out Myungsoo’s sheets, gently smothing out the wrinkles that would appear even after he tried to smooth all of them out.

He let out a sigh, trying to blink away the tears in his eyes as Myungsoo kept on sleeping beside him. 

Quietly, he started to sing a song for Myungsoo.

햇볕이 잘 드는 그 어느 곳이든잘 놓아두고서 (Put me in a place where the sun comes in well)

한 달에 한번만 잊지 말아줘, (And just don’t forget about me once a month)

물은 모자란 듯 하게만 주고 (Give me just enough water)

 

차가운 모습에 무심해 보이고 (I might seem heartless because I’m covered with thorns)

가시가 돋아서 어둡게 보여도 (I might seem dark because I’m covered with thorns)

걱정하지마, (But don’t worry)

이내 예쁜 꽃을 피울 테니까 (Because pretty flowers will bloom out of me)

He sighed and rubbed his arms, feeling a small chill in the air.

“Myungsoo, it’s been such a long few weeks.  I miss you so much… please wake up.  I… sometimes think that… it’s my fault that you’re like this.  I should’ve said no to Dongwoo and we should’ve left you at the dorm.  Sunggyu-hyung tells me that it’s not my fault, he tells me it constantly… he knows that I’m thinking of this like it.  He doesn’t like it, that’s why he’s always reminding me, before I leave the dorm and any time I’m thinking of it.  Sunggyu can read my mind practically.  They all can.  They all remind me it isn’t my fault, but I can’t help feeling that way when I can’t see your eyes and you don’t tell me it isn’t my fault. 

“I know this is selfish, but can you wake up and tell me it’s all okay?  Wake up for your family, they’re all so worried, you need to wake up for them.” 

Myungsoo didn’t reply.  His heart kept on beating, he kept on taking in another breath, but his eyes didn’t open again. 

Woohyun lowered his eyes. “I’m so sorry, Myungsoo-yah… it’s my fault…”

~*~

Kim Moonsoo walked through the hospital hall.  Every single day, he walked down the hall.  Now he knew exactly how many steps there were between the end of the hall and Myungsoo’s room.

He was a university student, a mostly normal one too, if you didn’t count the fact that his brother was a idol.  When people mentioned that to him, it would sound like they were stating that the sky was blue to him, obviously they were brothers and even more obviously, he would know that his own brother was a idol.  Whenever they said it, and Moonsoo would reply that Myungsoo was always an idol to him, even from before he signed on with Woollim.  From all the times they had sung songs together, from Chirstmas carols and Happy Birthday to Nell’s songs to Infinite’s songs, his brother’s voice would always be special to him. 

Myungsoo was Moonsoo’s hero and would always be.

Each time that he walked into Myungsoo’s room, he heard the same noises: slight beeps from the heart monitor, hiss of oxygen pressing into his lungs.  Sometimes soft murmurs from the doctors, family or friends in the room.

Today, as he walked down the hall to his brother’s room, he heard a new sound.

It was Woohyun and he was singing.

언젠가 마음이 다치는 날 있다거나 (On days that your heart is hurt)

이유 없는 눈물이 흐를 때면 (When tears fall for no reason)

나를 기억해 (Remember me)

그대에게 작은 위로가 되어줄게 (I’ll be a small comfort to you)

 

그 때가 우리 함께 했었던 날 그 때가 (When that becomes the day we’re together)

다시는 올 수 없는 날이 되면 (When that becomes the day that will never come back)

간직했었던 그대의 눈물 안고 (I will hold onto your tears that I’ve kept)

봄에서 있을게 (And stand in the spring.)

 

내 머리 위로 눈물을 떨궈 (Shed your tears on top of my head)

속상했던 마음들까지도 (Even your upset heart)

웃는 모습이 비출 때까지 (Until your smile shines on you)

소리 없이 머금고 있을게 (I will drink it in silently)

Moonsoo closed his eyes.  Woohyun’s voice was soft and melodic, carrying strongly through the hall, it felt bittersweet.

He remembered all the times that he and Myungsoo sang for fun when they were little, from Chirstmas carols and Happy Birthday to Nell’s songs to Infinite’s songs and eventually songs at noraebangs.

Myungsoo… His brother was his hero, and would always be his hero.   Seeing him in the hospital so weak wasn’t what he wanted to see and was what he never had wanted to see.

봄에서 있을게 (And stand in the spring...)

Moonsoo looked up.  This voice he could never forget.  The same voice that helped him when he was having troubles, the same voice that he argued with over which toys were who’s, the same voice that told him that school was going to be okay, the same voice that came home one day and nearly lifed him with his excitement too that he was going to be in a idol group, that he was going to be a part of Infinite.

His brother’s voice, his hero’s voice… he was awake.

That voice he hoped that he could hear forever, he hoped that he would hear it at his graduation, after he proposed to his girlfriend, at his wedding, beside him when his first child was born, comforting him if their partents died.  He hoped that he would still have Myungsoo’s voice when Myungsoo would pass away when he was at a old age, ready to start another journey with the others after a lifetime of memories.

Moonsoo closed his eyes and listened to the voice of his brother as he continued to sing, no matter how soft and weak his voice was.

봄에서 있을게 (And stand in the spring...)

Moonsoo knew that his brother’s voice would continue to haunt this hall and his heart for many, many more years to come.

He took a deep breath and smiled.  “I’m so glad you’re awake…”

~*~

2월 8

It was a nice day in early February, there was still a bit snow on the ground, but the skies were a bright shade of blue.

Even with the happy weather, the air was dark in Infinite’s dorm.  All of them were worried about Myungsoo and his name was always on the tips of everyone’s tounges and a subject ready to be spoken about.

Woohyun looked over his shoulder from his place by the window as someone knocked on the door.  Sunggyu stood in the door, holding Woohyun’s jacket out to him.

“Come on, Woohyun-ah.  Let’s go out,” he said firmly.

Woohyun sighed and looked out the window again.  “That bird’s nest there always brings the same family of birds each year,” he said quietly. “Myungsoo really liked them.”

“And?” Sunggyu prompted, coming up to join Woohyun at the window.

“They’re back.”  Woohyun smiled softly, his eyes shining with a few tears. “There’s eggs in the nest again.  Always coming back…”

Sunggyu rested his hand on Woohyun’s shoulder and rubbed it slowly.  “It’s not just the birds, is it?”  

Woohyun relaxed under Sunggyu’s touch and he sighed, not looking at Sunggyu directly, though Sunggyu could see Woohyun’s face through the reflection of the window.  “He’s not coming back…”

“Ahhh, Woohyun-ah, you can’t say that,” Sunggyu said firmly.  “Like now he’s awake in the hospital and he’s just fine.  He’ll be coming home soon.”

“But remember two weeks ago?” Woohyun challenged.  “He couldn’t even sit up in bed for more than a second.  I hate that.”

Sunggyu could see the tears in Woohyun’s eyes, wishing that it could’ve been just the reflection of the window distorting his reflection rather than the real tears falling down his cheeks.  “He hated it more than anyone,” Sunggyu said as calmly as he could.  “Now, let’s go, get some air.  Nothing’s going to happen if you just sit here so let’s go out, we can go visit Myungsoo on the way back.”

Woohyun sighed, knowing that Sunggyu was speaking the truth, and took his jacket from him.  “Where are we going?”

“Anywhere, let’s just go,” Sunggyu said, leading him out of the dorm and towards the bus stop at the corner.

“Where are we going?” Woohyun asked again as Sunggyu lead the way onto the bus.

“You’ll see,” Sunggyu said mysteriously.

They rode the bus in silence until Sunggyu stood up and pulled the string. Woohyun glanced out the window.

“Why are we at a carnival?” he asked.

“Because…”  Sunggyu waited for the doors to open.  “Do you remember what day it is?”

Woohyun frowned.  “It’s a Tuesday?”

“The exact date is?”  Sunggyu smiled.  “And we’re here because he’s here too.”

“Who’s he?” Woohyun asked as the doors opened.

Sunggyu didn’t answer as they walked towards the front gates of the park.  “Do you remember what day it is?” he called over his shoulder.

Woohyun looked down at his phone to check the date.

February 8th

His birthday…

“Nam Woohyun!”

Dongwoo came out of the front gates with a cake in his hands, followed closely by Hoya and Sungyeol.  Sunggyu was grinning like mad beside Woohyun.

“Happy birthday to you!  Happy birthday to you!  Happy birthday, dear Woohyun. Happy birthday to you!”

Woohyun stared at them at shock, still not entirely processing what was going on.  Their four loud voices filled the February air, ringing into the sky.

“Wh-hhh-a… wh…”

Sunggyu grinned at his reaction and hugged him tightly.  “It’s your birthday, Woohyun-ah.  You’ve been stressing out so much that you forgot, didn’t you?”

Woohyun smiled sheepishly, admiting that Sunggyu was right.

He looked around at the others thankfully.  Dongwoo was trying to keep the candles light as Hoya grinned at him, his hands jammed into his pockets away from the cold.  Sungyeol smiled at him with his wide and warm smile.  Just as Woohyun was wondering where Sungjong was, someone tapped him on his shoulder and he found Sungjong standing behind him.

“Happy birthday, hyung,” he said, smiling.  Before Woohyun could reply, Sungjong stepped to the side and Woohyun’s mouth fell open as he could see one more person behind him.

“Happy birthday, Woohyun-hyung.”  Myungsoo grinned at him, his eyes creased in happiness. 

Before he could recognize Myungsoo completely, Woohyun threw his arms around Myungsoo, causing the other to stumble a little bit, but Myungsoo quickly regained his balance and hugged Woohyun back warmly. 

Woohyun could feel Myungsoo shivering despite the many layers he was bundled up in and how warm it was outside and Myungsoo’s bony shoulder jutting into his chest, reminding Woohyun how fragile Myungsoo was at that moment, but he couldn’t bring himself to care.

Instead, he squeezed Myungsoo a bit tighter and cried into his shoulder.  Myungsoo squeezed him back gently, a burning reminder that he was alive at that moment and he was still there with them.

“Happy birthday, hyung.”

~*~

3개월 후 (3 months later)

“… when you said ‘happy birthday’ to me… I really… I didn’t believe that you were there with me.  I was so happy.  It gave me so much hope to see you standing there.”

Myungsoo laughed softly.  His laugh was mostly breathy, but Woohyun enjoyed it anyways, it was a sign that Myungsoo was alive and there with them.

“Thanks for the story, hyung,” he whispered, his smile never fading off of his face.  

“Why don’t you go to sleep now?” Woohyun suggested quietly, pulling the blanket higher up onto Myungsoo.

Myungsoo nodded, his eyes closing slowly.  “You’ll get some sleep too, hyung, right?” he mumbled as sleep started to take over.

Woohyun smiled. “Of course.  Now get some sleep.  Sweet dreams.”

Just as he was about to drift off, Woohyun’s voice wreathed around him again.

“On New Year’s Eve, when we went out to the fireworks, what did you write on the sky candle?”

Myungsoo lips turned up into a smile.  Woohyun didn’t know the wish that Myungsoo made yet.  Myungsoo kept it a secret for many months to come, but for now, he kept it close to his heart, in hopes that it’ll come true.

“It’s a secret…”

The smile stayed on his lips as he fell into the arms of sleep.  

 


 

Hello! 

So I'm half sick right now, I've been sick since the end of last week, cries.  And so many tests in school, and homework, I'm going to be dead at the end of the week.  

For the chapter; Moonsoo makes his ninja apperance, and another dose of WooGyu.  This chapter wraps up the New Year's arc of DtR, so next chapter shall be to uncharted lands!!! (You guys are going to hate love the next chapter!) 

And also! I'm 2 subs away from 100 subscribers!!! Please two more subs!!! Should I do something special for 100 subs?  I sort of have an idea for an extra chapter floating around my head, but I'm not sure.... if you have any suggestions, please tell me in the comments! 

Please comment and subscribe and upvote!  I'll get better quicker if you do, then we can have more updates!