A Hopeful Proposition

Noona, You're Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

As the motorbike shot forward at a frightening speed, dodging amongst the traffic of Seoul, Gaein yelped and, as L had hoped, held onto him in a death grip. The wind rushed past them and she burrowed her helmeted head as much as she could into his back, squeezing her eyes shut. After a few moments, she allowed herself to peek to the side at the colorful cars and shops that blurred together as they passed with reckless speed.

 

 

It was a world she was not accustomed to: speed, color, the rush, the thrill…she relaxed a bit and found herself beginning to see why L loved this so much. What an escape! She felt L’s back rumble beneathher touch as he laughed in delight. She allowed herself to laugh with him, sharing the joy of the moment.

 

 

The wind and the roar of the engine deafened her and she thrilled at this small, private bubble of a different world where no one could see her, nor did they care to. The ride, for the both of them stopped all too soon. L parked his bike suavely in front of a park that was large, with an area dedicated to an exquisite flower garden.

 

 

As they strolled through the park, Gaein watched as people played with their dogs, as couples held hands and talked stopping occasionally to smell the flowers. She took in the scene with appreciative eyes. She glanced over at L whose hands were stuffed into his pockets. His eyes watched her and she saw a look of wonder in his unguarded expression, a look of true happiness.

 

 

So he was being serious? Does he actually like me then?

 

 

As their eyes met, L flashed her a smile, not an arrogant, haughty smile, nor a knowing smirk; it was a real, sincere smile that made Gaein’s heart flutter for a moment.

 

 

“What are you thinking about?” L asked gently tilting his head to the side in order to observe her face better as they walked together down the tree framed path.

 

“I was wondering,” Gain replied.

 

 

“About?” L prodded.

 

 

“How did you manage to get the keys to the school? Students aren’t allowed to have access to those, as I’m sure you’re well aware.”

 

 

L, caught off guard, laughed delightedly. “What, you mean these?” He pulled out the large key ring from his bag. Gaein nodded. L swung the keys around his finger lazily before replying.

 

 

“I suppose it pays to have one of your people work as a janitor at the school you attend,“ he whispered conspiratorially. “But it’s our secret. Don’t tell anyone, now.” He placed his forefinger to her lips and pressed softly. “Our secret,” he repeated.

 

 

Just what kind of person is he, Gaein wondered, to have someone infiltrate a place as prestigious as the academy?

 

 

“You have something on your mind.” L observed as he led them to a large maple and sat leaning his back up against the tree trunk.

 

 

There was no use trying to deny it. Gaein realized L somehow had the ability to read her; he seemed to be able to expose her, seeing into her soul, even when she tried to hide it. That disconcerting realization had her resignedly nod.

 

 

L said nothing, just gazed at her waiting for her to tell him. She plopped herself on the grass and wrapped her arms around her legs, resting her chin on her knees.

 

 

“I guess, I also wondered… why you like me.”

 

 

“Why?” L repeated.

 

 

“Yes. I mean, what reason do you, L, some rich kid from the higher circlesof society like someone like me: poor, no advantageous relations that would make me at all desirable, from a different social class completely in fact. Not to mention we hardly know eachother.”

 

 

L leaned his head back against the trees so he was looking at the sky. “Does love need a reason for it to be love?” he said at last.

 

 

“But is there?” Gaein pressed.

 

 

“Of course there is.” L responded simply.

 

 

She waited. He didn’t ay anything.

 

 

“That’s not fair.” She frowned.

 

 

“Life rarely is,” L acknowledged.

 

 

“How about this…” L looked over at her, his face serious,  “I will tell you…just not today. I promise.”

 

 

“If not today, then when?”

 

 

“Someday.” Gaein found his tone patronizing, but sincere, “Just trust me. Arasso?”

 

 

“Arasso, arasso.” Gaein rolled her eyes.

 

 

“That’s my noona.” L reached over tapping her on the tip of her nose. Gaein brushed his hand away and stood up.

 

 

“L, I admit I don’t dislike you. At first I thought you were someone I would never want to know. But you’re not that bad. That said, I don’t like you either…I mean just not in that way. I’m sorry.”

 

 

“Why?” L looked up at her, still seated on the ground, awaiting her explanation.

 

 

“Well for one thing, I don’t know you really. You’re nice and all, but a relationship takes trust for feelings to be able to be mutual. Second, you’re younger than me, and third, like you may have noticed, I already have someone I like.”

 

 

His voice was flat. “Zelo.” It wasn’t a question.

 

 

“…Yes.”

 

 

L shook his head. “How long will it take you to forget him, noona?”

 

 

“Excuse me?”

 

 

L slid to his feet facing her. “I’m asking how long I’m expected to wait for you to come to me.” L repeated.

 

 

“What kind of question is that?” Gaein asked astonished, “I have no intention of forgetting him. He’s, well, he’s just Zelo. I’ve known him since grade school, and on top of that, he’s a good person.”

 

 

“Noona!” L said savagely, “I didn’t ask you to praise him!” Then after a pause, “So those are your only concerns that keep you from being with me?”

 

 

“L, we belong to two entirely different worlds.” Gaein said softly, trying to help him understand.

 

 

“Noona, you have to give me time! If you need to get to know me first, fine. I can wait. I can wait for you to come to me. You said I’m younger than you, but as I recall, so is Zelo.”

 

 

“Yes,” Gaein countered, “and it took me quite awhile to finally be okay with that. To you, maybe a few years isn’t much, but for me, it’s hard to not see a kid sometimes. It’s really nothing against you, it’s just how I am.”

 

 

L grabbed her hand violently and began dragging her back to his motorbike. He drove them to Gangnam, quite a ways away; they drove in silence. He skidded to an abrupt stop outside of a colossal mansion. Ripping off his helmet, he grabbed hers and took it off. She eyed him with wide, fearful eyes. He was angry. L realized he had frightened her, but he was so shaken, he didn’t even care.

 

 

Towing her up the steps, he punched in the security code and entered the house. No one was there, though rich furnishings made for a lived-in appearance. It was one of L’s private mansions, that was under his name. No one would be there to disturb them.

 

 

As the door swung shut behind them, L whirled around and pressed Gaein up against the door. Gaein’s heart started pounding, her eyes widening in fear. What had happened to set him off like this?

 

 

L seized the back of her neck, binding his fingers through her hair as his lips came crashing down, ramming forcefully against hers.

 

 

Shocked, Gaein tried to turn her face away, to stop his passionate advances, but he followed her movement using his hand to steer her head back to him. She struggled but he pulled her more insistently closer. He was reckless, an uncontrollable fire that had ignited. She tried turning her head again, but he intercepted her. His kisses burned, smoldering, full of desire and desperation.

 

 

As the kisses continued, L finally started to calm down. As he did, his kisses slowed, then stopped. Gaein sank to the floor, leaning on the door behind her for support. L crouched in front of her, his eyes softening. He leaned in once more and let his lips brush her forehead. He felt her figure tremble under him and he pulled back again. Taking her chin tenderly in his hand, he tilted her face up so her eyes met his.

 

 

“Yes, noona, I am a kid. I am childish when it comes to you. I don’t want you even looking at other guys. When it comes to you, I’m not in my right mind. But in all other aspects, I am more than qualified and I can and I plan on being a man to you.”

 

 

He brushed a tear that had trickled from the corner of her eye down her cheek away with his thumb. “Now, noona, you can’t think of me as a little kid.”

 

 

….

 

 

Gaein looked down at her hands clasped together in her lap. She was shaken. Had this really just happened? L seemed by some unspoken signal, to realize she needed some space, so he stooped and lifting her to her feet, led her to a sofa in the next room which she sank down on. He left and appeared a moment later, with a blanket that he wrapped around her shoulders. Then he left her alone to her thoughts.

 

 

Gaein’s mind whirled. What was happening to her life? She was an ordinary person, whose family owned a noodle shop. They were simple people, and yet she loved her life: her mother, Zelo, everything that was safe and normal. When it came to L, everything turned into anything but safe or normal. He was mysterious, and although he told her he liked her, without any reason on his part, she just couldn’t understand why…ever since she’d met him, her life h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter