The Darkness Within

Noona, You're Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Gaein had never felt so upset in her life. She was so furious that the moment she had gotten to her bedroom after her encounter with L, she sprang onto her bed and hit her pillow with a vengeance. Glancing out the window, she let the sunlight fall over her and she tried to take steadying breaths. She had been shocked at L’s confession of the fight and it seemed all the pent up worry and stress of trying to cope and adjust to these strange, new situations had finally filled her cup to overflowing.

 

 

                “How could those two fight like that when they know I’d be upset?” she demanded to the empty air. It didn’t answer.

 

 

                “I mean,” she continued, “I’ve told them over and over again how I feel and they disregard it using the excuse they like me. How is that right? If they like me, shouldn’t they listen to me? I guess I should’ve expected this behavior from L. He’s always been hot-headed and reckless. But Zelo, I definitely expected more from. He hasn’t had a temper tantrum for maybe…what, seven years now? Aish! Ottoke?”

 

 

                She buried her face in her pillow and grabbing fistfuls of blanket, she pulled it over her head. Today had been going so well too… That’s it. Those boys struck a nerve. Maybe we all would do well with a break from each other. I definitely need a break from them. Obviously I am the cause of all this so if I avoid them both for a while, they should calm down. I don’t even want to see them now anyway; I’m too upset.

 

 

                Gaein took in a lungful of air, “UMMAAAAAAAAAAAA!” she bellowed.

 

 

                “Eh? What happened? Kenchana (Are you ok)?” Mrs. Choi burst through the door to her daughter’s rescue brandishing her wooden spoon, while soapy suds (from her having abandoned doing the dishes) flung off her arms. As she processed her daughter was not in immediate danger, a stern glint lit her eye.

 

 

                “Gaein, that was not funny!” she glared at the face peeping out from under the quilts.

 

 

                “Ummaaaa,” Gaein repeated miserably, “From now on, I don’t want to see L or Zelo. I need you to help keep them away from me chaebaleo (please).

 

 

                “Chuckaman, wheyo (Wait, why)?” shock colored the elder woman’s tone and her hands clenched the spoon she was holding subconsciously with sudden worry.

 

 

                “I just really need my space.” Gaein sighed.

 

 

                “But Zelo and the boys are like family. I thought you were on good terms with them. And you seemed to be warming up to that L lately; besides I like Sungjong-ah. I was planning on unofficially adopting him. You’re saying none of them can come to the shop now?”

 

 

                “You what?” Gaein, caught off guard by that comment let a laugh escape her.

 

 

                “Well Sungjong-ah treats me like his mother, so why can’t I treat him like a son? I’ve never had a son and although I’m thankful for you, I want him in my family.” Mrs. Choi said defensively, “Besides I said unofficially.”

 

 

                Gaein shrugged her shoulders. “The boys are all free to come over except L and Zelo.” Gaein repeated firmly, “Please, umma. For my sanity, support me in this.” She gathered her mother’s hands in hers and gazed at her with puppy eyes. Her umma, being the doting parent that she was, couldn’t resist and let out a sigh that seemed to reach all the way down to her toes. She grinned wryly at her daughter letting her know she would comply.

 

 

                “Fine. If they’re making trouble for you, I won’t leave them alone.” She brandished her wooden spoon like she was fending off an attacker.

 

 

                “Komawo (thank you).” Gaeni replied gratefully.

 

 

                “Aigoo…” her mom ruffled her hair affectionately, “Should I make you some soup my precious, darling daughter? What are men compared to good food anyway?”

 

 

                Gaein laughed. “That sounds wonderful. I’ll be down in a minute.” Her mother promptly left to dish her favorite (and only) daughter some homemade soup. Meanwhile, Gaein shuffled into the bathroom and proceeded to splash water on her face to help her feel refreshed and calm. As she was patting her face dry with a soft, green towel, she heard her phone buzzing on her bed alerting her to a text message.

 

 

                Heading back to her bed, she picked up the phone. Glancing at the screen, a frown graced her lips and her eyebrows puckered as she saw that it was Zelo who had sent her the text. Without bothering to even read it, she turned off her phone. Throwing it back on the bed, she headed down the stairs towards a more than welcome bowl of soup.

 

 

…..

 

 

 

 

 

                Zelo slumped against the back seat of the chauffeured car. Daehyun, who sat in the passenger seat, continually stole glances at him through the mirror to see how he fared. He probably thought he was being discreet, but it was obvious and more than slightly annoying. Zelo stared out the tinted window seeing, but not registering the city flying by him.

 

 

                Himchan and Youngjae had been taken to the hospital by Yongguk and Jongup. Yongguk had tried to persuade Zelo to go and get checked out and he had even tried to take the unconscious Daehyun but Zelo had adamantly refused. He couldn’t go to a hospital…there was too much risk with all the paperwork and things that his true identity could get exposed.

 

 

Sure his father could cover it all up, but it would just put him in a bad mood and Zelo who had been living on his own for three years now did not want to do anything that would jeopardize the newly found freedom he had. His father had only agreed to let him live alone as long as he had Daehyun and other servants, and as long as he still attended to his Choi family and business responsibilities. Other than that, his father didn’t care what happened to him. Zelo was a useful tool at most, and a hindrance at the worst. Either way, Zelo was not going to the hospital.

 

 

                Zelo had told his friends that he would take care of Daehyun and gave some random excuses that apparently satisfied them so that they reluctantly left him to tend to the others, leaving them behind in the parking lot of an abandoned warehouse while they took the only car. Zelo had immediately dialed his chauffer and Daehyun had slowly gained conscious as they’d waited to be picked up. Luckily, Daehyun was tough and although he’d been knocked out, the damage hadn’t been great. He’d be fine.

 

 

                “Thank you.” Daehyun said, ashamed that he had failed Zelo and demonstrated his lack of skill by getting attacked from behind. He couldn’t look his friend in the eyes as Zelo helped him struggle to his feet and get into the car.

 

 

 

 

 

                “I should be thanking you. You saved me today.” Zelo replied indifferently.

 

 

                Daehyun glanced sharply at Zelo. In all his years of working for Zelo, he’d never been thanked before. Was this what friendship was about? Was it about having each other’s back and having someone to be thankful for? Daehyun slowly processed this and secretly stored the memory in his heart where he protected it with all his care. His determination and loyalty, if it hadn’t been strong alre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter