The Not So Calm Before the Storm

Noona, You're Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

L wanted to smash his alarm to smithereens when it’s shrill beep alerted him for the need to get up. He groaned, rolling over so he could reach the off switch and promptly silenced the offender. He hadn’t slept a wink. His mind had been more agreeably engaged remembering the events of the previous day.

 

 

How he wished naptime was the one luxury he could actually afford! But the thought of seeing his noona dispelled all fatigue and faster than the maids could expect, he was rushing out the door without eating breakfast. He didn’t care about eating. Seeing her was more important than eating…than even breathing.

 

“Where is the boy off to in such a hurry?” L’s father asked as he sat at the generously laden breakfast table of the hotel. He picked up a piece of fruit and eyed it critically before he popped it into his mouth.

 

 

The maid bowed, “It would seem he is off to school, sir.”

 

 

“But what has him leaving so early without even eating?”

 

 

“Maybe he’s just excited to see his friends. Despite being heirs, they’re still teenage boys.” The maid was actually shocked that he would allow her to take such liberties in even addressing him.

 

 

The elderly Kim was not satisfied with her response however. After all, he’d trained the boy himself! Kim Myungsoo was mature, calculating, intelligent, ruthless, capable, and if he did say so, had inherited his father’s impeccable fashion sense. The elderly Kim had not neglected anything and his son had, like clockwork, lived up to his expectations; never failing to disappoint. Anything that had him acting outside the normal sphere of routine gave cause for concern.

 

 

Looking at the security personnel who stood silent, and erect near the entryway, he beckoned the man over. The man briskly made his way to the President’s side. “Sir?” he bowed sharply, “How may I be of service?”

 

 

“Follow my son without being discovered. Report to me all his actions.” The President instructed.

 

 

“Algaesumnida. (I understand.)” the man turned and swiftly exited the room. Kim Myungso’s father picked up a rice cake. Maybe he was being overly cautious. After all, children did want a small measure of freedom now and again. But still, the report that he’d ditched class the day before, along with starting to come back home so late at night occurring more frequently…The elderly Kim ate the rice cake. He hadn’t gotten where he was in life, his position, his power, by being lax. Even if his suspicions proved to be ungrounded, it was always better to be safe than sorry.

 

 

“Sir,” his counselor’s voice brought him back to the present. Glancing up, he watched as his long time friend and employee approached. Ji Sung bowed quickly and sat at the table.

 

“What brings you here?” Mr. Kim smiled.

 

 

“I’ve had more reports of the young master. Apparently his friends are still making efforts to discover his true identity. They’ve tried following him home and even sent a few servants to do some research. If we had not interceded and given him the fake identity of L, along with all the fabricated paperwork, he’d already be exposed.”

 

 

“They’re smart boys.” acknowledged Mr. Kim, “They want to know if this mysterious son of mine will be a threat or if he will prove to be a valuable ally. They wish to know if they should continue in their friendship and secure an alliance or if they should cut all ties and risk the possible losses. How are they to know how to proceed if they don’t know who he is or what he can offer?”

 

 

He patted Jisung’s shoulder apologetically, “You must hang in there a bit longer. Soon, after the party, there will be no need to protect my son’s identity. Put up with it just a bit more.”

 

 

“Yes sir.”

 

…..

 

 

 

“One more helping of rice,” wheedled Gaein’s mother as she reached for Gaein’s bowl to fill it with another heaping mound.

 

 

“No, umma. That isn’t necessary. I am so full I don’t think I’ll fit out the door.” laughed Gaein, “One more bite and I swear I’ll explode!” Her stomach ached with all the food her mother had tried to shovel down that morning, and in an effort to escape her doting mood (which her mother would get into now and again), she reached for her bag and hurried towards the shop entrance.

 

 

Gaein headed out the door adjusting the sleeves on her uniform. Absorbed with one of the buttons on her cuff, she slammed into someone in front of her.

 

 

Quickly bowing, an apology forming on her lips, she stopped in surprise as she registered Zelo standing before her. He looked striking with his mussed, fly away hair, his tie that hung loosely from his neck, and his un-tucked shirt. He had a rumpled, cool-boy style going on.

 

“Zelo!” she grinned, “Am I glad to see you! I’ve missed you.”

 

 

Zelo reached out and rumpled her hair affectionately, smiling like he’d won a prize just seeing her today.

 

 

“Morning! I got you breakfast. You don’t even want to know how much allowance I spent on you today.” He handed her a basket that filled her arms. Delicious smells wafted through the air smelling of something savory and expensive.

 

 

“That’s so sweet of you. If only I hadn’t eaten breakfast already.” Gaein lamented.

 

 

Zelo got a stubborn glint in his eye as they walked together. Reaching out, he opened the basket and pulled out a fresh slice of kimbap.

 

 

“Eat it noona!” he insisted raising the food to her lips, “For me. I worked so hard to get this for you. Arasso?”

 

 

Letting out a sigh that was half fake and half resigned, Gaein rolled her eyes, smiled and opened .

 

 

“Here.” Zelo smiled excitedly, “Eat more.” He grabbed another piece and misjudged his aim, since they were moving. Rice smeared her cheek but luckily most of it made its way into .

 

 

“You pabo, now look what you’ve done.” Gaein chuckled good-naturedly.  She felt bits of rice cling to her skin. She couldn’t reach up to swipe it away with the basket in her arms though. So she scrunched up her face trying to make the stray bits fall. But sticky rice was called sticky rice for a reason, clinging to her tenaciously.

 

 

“It’s alright. I’ve got it.” Zelo leaned in, his lips scooping up the rice that remained, lingering briefly before he pulled back.

 

 

“Yah!” Gaein blushed furiously, “What was that just now?”

 

 

Zelo grinned and his lips. “Delicious,” he noted.

 

 

“You’re being strange today.” Gaein noted eyeing him as they walked along.

 

 

 “I wonder why. Maybe it’s because I haven’ seen my noona since two days ago! What happened to make you just disappear?”

 

 

Gaein’s thoughts flicked to L. “Some things just came up. It was just some stuff to clear up, nothing serious.” She didn’t want Zelo to worry more about her than he already did. He always worried too much.

 

 

Zelo’s lips drew into a thin line as he contemplated her response. He relieved her of the basket and ran off for just a moment before coming back empty-handed. They approached Seoul Foreign Language Academy’s entrance and Zelo stuck by her side, eyes sifting through the students heading inside.

 

 

As they approached the gate, Dongwoo and Sungyeol standing at the entrance, waved at her. Hoya appeared behind them and made exaggerated faces at his friends behind their backs, grinned at her conspiratorially and waved too. Gaein giggled and waved back.

 

Zelo stiffened beside her, eyes darkening.

 

 

“Who are they noona?” he asked placing is arm deliberately around her shoulders.

 

 

“Some frien

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter