An Unlikely Friend

Noona, You're Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

These past five weeks, Sungyeol and Dongwoo had haunted the police station waiting for news and trying to share whatever news they could. Sungkyu and Yeeun had spent the past few weeks creating a website for Yeeun’s “interior design” business and getting it set up so that it appeared credible should anyone look into her story. There had been countless pages of paperwork to fill out, and so many minor details to take care of. It had all been a nightmare to figure out but by far, the worst part had been the waiting.

 

 

 Woohyun and Hoya had recently returned from checking out one of the members listed on the party roster, but hadn’t found anything suspicious. They were now working with Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin to see if there were any bits of information they could go on to give to the police for help. All that, on top of trying to take care of Gaein’s mother and staying hidden from his family’s search parties had been mentally draining for L. But all the weeks of preparation, all the energy, money, and time spent preparing for their different operations to take effect hadn’t prepared L for the message he stared at on his phone.

 

 

L’s hand shook visibly as he read the group text that Sungkyu had sent out moments ago. He immediately wanted to reply asking what his message meant, but had been stopped by Sungjong who had mentioned that it might be wise to wait until Sungkyu felt like it was safe to divulge more.

 

 

“What if Sungkyu is in a compromising situation right now and can’t answer? What if he’s trying to find out more and will let us know when he does? It will be hard, but we need to wait for him. We need to trust that he’ll find something and let us know.” Sungjong reached out and patted L’s shoulder as they sat on the sofa back in Sungjong’s dorm.

 

 

L turned a pained expression to his hoobae and said quietly, “Sungjong-ah, I’m about to go crazy. I’ve been waiting for so long. It’s been a month. What if something has happened to Gaein? What if I never find her?”

 

 

Speaking his deepest fears aloud made them feel more real somehow. He felt the fear that gripped his heart tightening it’s hold. Tears pricked the edges of his vision and he looked back down at his knees taking deep breaths. His hands that rested on his knees balled into clenched fists.

 

 

Sungjong, seeing his hyung in such a state looked away. This was L’s private moment and it felt wrong to see this man collapsing in on himself. The man whose shoulders shook with sobs was so different from the care-free man who would always accept his attempts at a fight and laugh with Sungyeol and Hoya at pointless stuff.

 

 

“We need to find something for you to do.” Sungjong said firmly standing up and heading to the window to glance out and see if L’s family bodyguards could be seen in the immediate vicinity.

 

 

“What?” L glanced up. His eyes were rimmed red and his face appeared gaunt and strained.

 

 

“If you continue sitting here like this, you’ll never make it out of this hell hole you’re in. We need to get you doing something. Out of this dorm.”

 

 

“I’m not supposed to leave here. The more often I leave, the more likely the chances that I will be caught.” L sighed shaking his head.

 

 

“What is this I hear? Is the great Kim Myungsoo really hiding behind an excuse? This is our noona we’re talking about! Choi Gaein! You’re not doing her any favors just sitting here wondering about what could happen. The only thing that will help you is getting off that blasted cushion and doing something pabo!” Sungjong placed stubborn hands on his hips as he glared at his hyung sternly.

 

 

A small smile tugged at the corners of L’s lips. He sat back on the cushions and asked fondly, “Hul. Since when did I get such a wise dongsang?”

 

 

Sungjong rolled his eyes but they twinkled in amusement as he answered, “I had to step up and be wise for once since all my hyungs seem to have forgotten how.”

 

 

“Well,” said L as he pushed himself off the couch into a standing position, “What should we do then?”

 

 

“First thing’s first,” Sungjong said, “We need to visit umma…and then I’ve been thinking…”

 

 

“Yes?” L prompted him to continue while he slung on a bulky winter coat he’d borrowed from Sungyeol and began zipping it up.

 

 

“It’s just a thought I’ve been mulling over lately…I’ll tell you on the way. C’mon. Let’s go. Make sure your scarf covers your face and don’t forget your sunglasses.”

 

 

“Yes, umma.” Now it was L’s turn to roll his eyes. But he made sure to secure his scarf a little higher as the two left the building and hopped into Hoya’s car. They peeled out of the parking lot and headed a few blocks away to the noodle shop.

 

 

***

 

 

Ms. Choi walked down the road to her noodle shop with a heavy heart. Her normally straight figure was stooped in a weary state as she shuffled along. She had just come from the police station. She’d brought the officers boxes of kimchi and bimbimbap and asked for any news they may have discovered of her daughter who had gone missing.

 

 

“I’m sorry ahjummoni, we have very limited leads right now. The Kim family is refusing to cooperate with us in the investigation, and we should be getting a warrant any day to investigate them further, but so far we cannot give you anything definite.” Kim Soohyun bowed; his apologetic face the epitome of concern.

 

 

“I promise you we will let you know of any new developments the moment we find anything,” he had said as he escorted her to the entrance back outside. She had bowed back, clasped his hands in her older ones and said with tears in her voice, “Please, please find my Gaein officer. Chaebaleo.”

 

 

She paused as she reached the entrance of the noodle shop and glanced at the building that she had closed down for the day. It seemed so empty without Gaein’s presence. She didn’t even want to enter the building. Ever since she had been informed her daughter had been kidnapped all those weeks ago, she had done her best to keep going forward. She told herself that she needed to keep the shop open so that Gaein would always have a place to return to. But the motivation to make any dish seemed to have left her when Gaein had.

 

 

As she unlocked the door and began to enter, a voice called out to her making her stop and turn. A young man approached her. She eyed him up and down. He was in a white knit sweater, and dress pants. A stylish blue trench coat completed the ensemble. If she were to put a label to his type, he seemed like a business man dressed up casually.

 

 

“Ahjumma,” the man walked toward her and bowed.

 

 

Bowing back, Ms. Choi glanced at the man and said, “Yes? Do you need something?”

 

 

“Ah, well, yes.” the handsome man nodded, “I actually have something to say to you regarding your daughter Gaein-ssi.”

 

 

At this Ms. Choi almost fell over in shock, but was steadied as the young stranger reached out a strong, steadying hand to keep her from falling.

 

 

“D-do you know wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter