Kim Myungsoo

Noona, You're Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Although she’d been calm for most of the day, the feel of the break being pressed as the car slowed to a stop in front of a fantastic looking hotel served to unnerve Gaein. The grounds were extensive with lights wound artistically around the trees that lined the perimeter. Gaein cast an anxious glance at Yeeun who gave her an encouraging thumbs up and a quick, “Even if you don’t feel confident, act it. Its only awkward if you make it.” Gaein took a shaky breath and donned her mask. It was a perfect fit and she felt slightly calmer. The mask felt safe…like it was something she could hide behind.

 

 

Reaching out, she was about to open the door and walk towards the entrance, when the door was opened for her. She almost gasped in surprise, but luckily the gasp was airless and made no sound. That would have been painfully embarrassing. She surveyed the person who opened the door…a footman! He wore a dark tuxedo over a classic white dress shirt and bowed to her as she came out. She was quickly gestured forward to the main doors as there were many other cars in the midst of parking and lots of people being presented towards the large, gleaming entrance. A light breeze cooled her brow that had begun to perspire slightly.

 

 

 

 

Grasping the invitation that she’d been given by Yeeun during the drive, Gaein tried hard not to fiddle with it but keep a calm, poised appearance. Although she tried, one of the men stationed at the door who accepted her invitation glanced at it and bowed her through could tell there was an uncertainty about her that made him wonder if she really belonged at the party. But her invitation had been signed by the master himself qualifying her as a VVVIP guest and who was he to question it? He waved her through and proceeded to ask for the next person’s invitation.

 

 

As Gaein was swept into the fray of guests entering the hotel, she tried to take stock of where she was. Amidst the flurry of color and movement, she searched for something familiar, but found nothing. The beginning twinges of fear began to weave themselves into small, complicated knots in her stomach. Where was L? He was her date. Why hadn’t he picked her up for this strange party? She felt lost and out of place.

 

 

After weaving through lots of masked bodies dripping in silks, gauzy laces, striking satins and the most singular styles of every ball-gown variety that just clamored for attention, Gaein broke free from the crush of the crowd and made her way to a relatively empty corner. Once seated, she felt a little calmer. She was invisible. No one glanced her way or paid particular attention to her. From her small domain, she was able to survey the rest of the spectacle before her in peace.

 

 

 To Gaein, it seemed as if every outfit had to be elegant, yet make a bold statement as if asserting its superiority in the ensemble of flashing gems, sweeping up-dos, curls that cascaded down long, creamy necks, and of course, the flawless faces glazed in makeup. Perfumes scented the air and men in tuxedos and suits bowed to each other all while privately assessing the status of the other.

 

 

                She focused on breathing in and out. Her heart was beating more quickly than normal and the sweat on her forehead wasn’t going away. Grabbing a soft cloth from her small purse that Yeeun had given her with her invitation in the car, Gaein took off her mask and dabbed at her face.

 

 

                She gazed at the makeup smudges from the foundation on the small cloth before tucking it away ruefully back in her purse. She needed to find a bathroom. She stood up and tried edging around the perimeter of the room wondering where she was supposed to even find a bathroom.

 

 

                “Excuse me miss, can I help you?” Gaein turned to see a tall, young man smiling down at her through a striking emerald green mask. He wore a green dress shirt that was so dark, in the wrong lighting it could be mistaken for black. His suit, a deep, dark charcoal, fit his tall, well-built frame perfectly and she found herself tinging pink at getting attention from a man she didn’t recognize looking like a mess the way she was sure she did.

      

 

                “Ah…well, I was just wondering where…”

 

 

                Don’t say it pabo! She yelled at herself. But the stranger’s dark eyes were hypnotic and she found she couldn’t think of a different excuse.

 

 

                “The restrooms were.” She finished. She winced at her words. How embarrassing was that? Did her life just have to be filled with moments of utter humiliation like this?

 

 

                The stranger smiled and offered her his arm. “If you’d like, I can you through this crazy crowd and get you there.”

 

 

                Mortified at needing an to go to the bathroom, especially of the male variety, Gaein saw no choice but to take his arm. Replacing her diamond mask, she followed him. It was nice that he was tall. He could see over everyone’s heads to where he was going. She would have been totally lost trying to navigate her way through all the people.

 

 

                Eventually, he steered her out into a hallway and down a ways till the universal, all too familiar symbol of a restroom was made out over one of the arched entryways.

 

 

                Sighing in relief, she let go of the stranger’s arm and hurried through. Fanning her face in front of the mirror, Gaein quickly reapplied a light foundation and stared at her anxious expression in the mirror.

 

 

                “Yah, Choi Gaein.” She found herself talking to her reflection, “You need to calm down. It’s just a party ok? For all anyone knows, you’re just like everyone else. There’s no need to get so nervous. The party’s just started and if you get this way before it’s even begun, how will you last the night? Look, you don’t have to dazzle anyone. Just be nice to the people around you, keep your head down and you’ll be fine.” She allowed determination to cross her face and pumped her fist in a small “Fighting!” gesture.

 

 

                Right as she finished, a group of girls ranging from what looked like a couple of years younger than her to about her age entered the bathroom. They reeked of luxury and pampered privilege. Looking at her like she was a piece of gum found stuck on a walkway, one of the girls raised a fine, penciled eyebrow at her and said, “Excuse me, but do you mind if we do our makeup here?” There was no question in her tone though. If Gaein was translating correctly, it was more of an: You’re in our way and we need the counter for makeup. Get lost, you nobody.

 

 

                Gaein quickly moved aside. The other girls then proceeded to talk about her as if she wasn’t even there! They whipped out their compacts, glosses, and other forms of beauty products and got to work.

 

 

                “Can you believe the dress she’s wearing? I mean what kind of color is that?” asked a tall brunette decked out in a classic white and black gown. She applied some chili-colored lipstick and eyed Gaein critically.

 

 

                “I know what you mean.” Another girl replied, “If you can’t dress to go out, you shouldn’t even leave your house.” She tossed her glossy curls over her shoulder and proceeded to delicately apply mascara to her lashes.

 

 

                “Well, one consolation about having girls like her here, is that she’ll make us stand out. It’s hard for anybody to look bad with people like her to contrast the effect.” Simpered the third girl. She shuffled from one foot to the other in an attempt to make her voluptuous figure appear to its finest advantage. She sprayed on some perfume and rolled her shoulders in satisfaction.

 

 

                Gaein stood there furious. Her small form trembled as she clenched her hands into fists. She was half tempted to defend the girl's attacks with some witty remarks of her own, but she held herself back. This was someone else’s party and she didn’t want to make a scene that would be rude to the host. Plus, fighting was stupid. It just showed how immature people could be. But that didn’t mean she didn’t want to rip these girls to pieces. Her mind struggled for control over whether to snap back or calm down and just walk away.

 

 

                “Um…hello?” the second girl with her mascara stick waved it at Gaein as if brandishing a wand, “Aren’t you le

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter