Chapter 32

Illusions

Raymond saw her the moment she stepped into the room. She was accompanied by a man that he never met before. The man looked down at Charmaine, his eyes twinkling as he smiled at something she said. She returned the smile and looked at him with an affectionate glow. With annoyance, he remembered her looking at him that same way a long long time ago. Now whenever she sees him, her face would mar into a frown. He snapped from his thoughts when a hand slapped his shoulder.

“Who are you looking at?” Bosco asked as he scanned in that direction.

“No one,” Raymond replied briskly.

Bosco looked at Raymond curiously then shifted his eyes in that direction again, “There’s Charmaine!” he exclaimed, “But who is that with her?”

Selena who stood beside him squint her eyes to get a better look, “He doesn’t look familiar at all.” Then with excitement, she pulled on Bosco’s sleeves, “Look at the way he’s looking at her, he seems infatuated.” They all turned to watch as Kevin gently took Charmaine’s hand and placed it on the crook of his arm, his eyes dancing with adoration with that small task. Selena waved her hand happily to gain Charmaine’s attention.

Charmaine saw a movement out of the corner of her eye and looked up to see Selena waving at her. Bosco was by her side and so was Raymond. She felt her stomach churn at the sight of him but knew she can’t avoid him forever. She turned to Kevin and said, “My friends are over there,” she pointed, “Let’s go over so I can introduce you to them.”

Kevin smiled shyly in consent then led her towards them.

Raymond stood staring stonily at Charmaine and her date as they approach. He wished he never came back. Then he wouldn’t have to see her with another man and looking so happy.

“Hi,” Charmaine said when she was upon them, her eyes avoiding Raymond’s. “This is Kevin. He’s Kenneth’s cousin from overseas.”

Bosco was first to extend his hand, “Nice to meet you. I’m Bosco.”

“Selena,” Selena offered with a friendly smile, “Kenneth never mentioned anything about having such a handsome cousin.”

Kevin blushed profusely by the compliment. He cast his eyes downward and stammered, “N-Nice to m-meet you.”

Selena giggled at his shyness and jabbed Charmaine in the arm, then winked at her friend.

Raymond saw the exchange and was irritated by it. He stalked away without a word leaving Bosco and Selena staring after him in stunned surprise.

Charmaine pretended not to notice Raymond’s departure as she kept her smile at her friends, “How have you guys been?” she asked innocently.

Not hearing her question, Bosco muttered, “Wonder what’s wrong with him?” his gaze still on Raymond’s back.

Selena looked away from Raymond to Charmaine and saw her uneasy expression. Not only did she not question about Raymond’s abrupt departure, she’s pretending not to even notice it. That itself was unusual for Charmaine. She thought back to the few times that Raymond and Charmaine have been together and a suspicion began forming in her head. Her instincts told her that they were familiar with each other even before his return. She will get to the truth no matter what. Turning to Bosco and smiling apologetically at Charmaine and Kevin, she said, “Please excuse me for a few minutes. I’ll be back.” Then she hurried after Raymond.

Raymond took a glass of champagne off a tray of a passing waiter and gulped it down. He walked towards the terrace where it was empty but stopped when he heard someone calling him. He turned around and saw Selena trotting towards him, with a wry grin. “Something wrong?”

Selena laughed softly, “No. I was wondering is everything okay with you. You left in such a hurry and without a word.”

Raymond walked out onto the terrace and gazed out into the night. In a robotic tone he said, “Everything is fine. Why wouldn’t it be?”

“I don’t know,” Selena answered and looked at him closely, “You seem kind of agitated just now.”

Raymond kept his eyes towards the darkness of the night, “I just needed some fresh air.”

Selena leaned against the rail of the balcony as she looked directly at him. In a casual voice, she said, “I can’t believe Kenneth never mentioned anything about a cousin to me. And such a cute one too.” She giggled and went on, “Did you see the way he was looking at Charmaine? I bet he has a crush on her.”

Raymond remained silent as he grasped the metal rail in front of him and curled his fingers around it.

Selena saw the movement and observed that the knuckles of his hands turned white by the pressure of his grasp on the rail. She made a mental note of that as she continued, “Then again who wouldn’t have a crush on her. She’s beautiful, smart, warm…”

“Excuse me,” Raymond cut off, “I need to speak to someone about something.” He turned to leave but Selena held up her hand and barred him.

“What’s the hurry?” she asked then eyed him suspiciously and taunted, “Does the mention of Charmaine bother you?”

“I don’t know what you're talking,” Raymond said quietly and made to move past her.

Selena grabbed his arm and informed him, “I believe you and Charmaine know each other even before your return. Care to tell me how and what happened to cause such a rift between you guys?”

Raymond looked at her and said firmly, “Why don’t you ask her that question?” then walked away.

Selena was about to pursue him when Bosco grabbed her hand. He pulled her to a corner and said, “I heard everything and you’re right. Something is definitely going on between them.”

Selena nodded in agreement, “I’ll try to find out as much as I can from Charmaine and you work on Raymond.”