Chapter 21

Illusions

Charmaine felt his arms around her and automatically slid her arms around his waist. She hugged him back just as fiercely. All the anger forgotten. Being in his arms, she recalled the wonderful time they spent together. Raymond always knew what to do and say to make her happy. That was what made him so sweet and special. But the reality of it is that he was someone to share the good times with but definitely not someone to rely on when things turn for the worse. She learned that the hard way and she never wanted that lesson repeated. She scolded herself for being in love with a man who didn't deserve it. Regardless, no matter how she feels whether love or hate, it won't change a thing. She was not going to allow history to repeat itself. She brought her hands up against his chest and pushed him away, “Please don’t.”

Raymond was stunned by the sudden movement. He stared at her in bewilderment wanting to know what she was thinking at this moment. His eyes searched her face trying to read her thoughts.

Charmaine composed herself and said with detachment, “I better get going.”

Raymond didn’t understand what happened. It was on impulse that he reached out and hugged her. But it wasn’t his imagination that she held onto him just as tightly. When they were in each other’s arms Raymond was about to tell her that he will forgive her for what she’s done. All he wanted was a chance to be with her again. That thought quickly banished when he saw blankness overcome her features. “Can I give you a lift?” he asked not knowing what else to say.

“No thanks,” Charmaine said quickly. “My car is parked outside.” She turned to leave but stopped to look at him, “Raymond, I know a lot have happened between us but can we pretend that we don’t know each other?”

Her request disappointed and hit a nerve in Raymond. He knew she wanted to erase his existence but he can’t forget hers. No matter how hard he tried to hate her he just couldn’t. Still holding her gaze, he quietly said, “If that is what you want.”

It was what she wanted and yet she felt a heaviness in her heart. She looked at him and smiled weakly, “It is. Thank you.” She turned but stopped when he called her name.

Raymond walked to stand behind her. He wanted to wrap his arms around her again and plead with her to give him another chance. Instead he simply said, “I want you to know that I don’t blame you for what happened between us in the past.”

Charmaine heard the tenderness in his voice and she turned around to face him. Swallowing a lump in , she asked the question that has clouded her mind time and time again, “Why? How could you leave me like that?”

Raymond thought she was referring to his short trip to the states to work. Although she encouraged him to go at that time, he somehow felt she actually didn’t want him to. Perhaps if he hadn’t gone, they would still be together today. But he didn’t have a choice then. He wanted to show her that she made the right decision in marrying him. He was set out to spoil and pamper her and give her the best of everything. He stared into her eyes and said gravely, “I needed the money and wanted to make something out of my life. You know that.”

Charmaine did. Since the first time she met him and having spent time with him, she learned that Raymond was a very ambitious person. He was driven by some hidden agenda to reach the top and become some one. She never understood the source behind it and never would she have guessed that Raymond’s driving force was actually her. She nodded slowly, “I guess I do.” They stood staring at each other silently then Charmaine spoke, “I have to go now.” She made to leave but stopped once again. Meeting his gaze directly, she said softly, “I want you to know that I don’t blame you either.” With those departing words, she scurried out.

Raymond watched as she pushed open the glass doors of the hotel and disappeared into the front lawn. Without her presence, all he felt was emptiness and a sense of loss. With his head bent, he walked in the opposite direction.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Steven walked away from the column which obscured his presence during Raymond and Charmaine’s conversation. He had heard every word spoken between them and have the gut feeling that they still cared very much for each other. It wasn’t so much the words said but the way they looked at each other. It was full of regret, doubt and love. Although he never cared much for Raymond and still didn’t, he was fond of Charmaine. They have known each other since kids and he didn’t want to see her unhappy, like the way she’s been for the past few years. The only problem was getting past her father. If he did confess the truth to Charmaine, Mr. Seh would immediately turn against him. His father was finally stepping down from the board and passing him the presidency of their company and he owed it all to Mr. Seh’s. Mr. Seh had kept his promise and he expected Steven to keep his end of the bargain too. Steven was conflicted on what to do. He turned and met Raymond’s set expression.

“Were you eavesdropping just now?” Raymond asked coolly.

Steven tried to laugh it off and nervously said, “Me? Why would I do that? What will I get out of it?”

Raymond advanced towards him and said, “I don’t know but I would like to find out.”

“To answer your question, no, I wasn’t eavesdropping so there’s nothing for you to find out,” Steven said unable to meet his eyes then quickly walked past him before Raymond could ask any further questions.