Chapter 4

Illusions

Charmaine walked through the front doors of her house and saw her father pacing. He stopped when he saw her and strode purposefully towards her. “Where were you?” he demanded, eyes hard and cold as he stared down at her.

Charmaine placed her keys back into her bag, “I didn’t want to come home yet so I drove around.” She walked around him but he was not to be put off that easily.

Mr. Seh grabbed her arm and swung her around. In a loud voice he grounded out, “Next time when I say be home I mean be home! Not when you feel like it.”

Charmaine shook her head sadly as she backed away from him towards the staircase, “I am not a little girl anymore and you can't treat me like one. You can’t order me around!”

Mr. Seh looked at her with disgust and growled, “I will not have my daughter partying around town and made a laughing stock of. Do you understand me? I will not have any gossips attached to our name.”

Charmaine closed her eyes briefly and said, “I’ve never done anything to suggest that I would tarnish the family name and you know it. Why are you pushing me like this?”

“You haven’t done anything shameful yet because I’ve been guarding you. I keep you in line,” Mr. Seh said with arrogance. “I see how the men around you look at you. You don’t think I know what’s going on in their heads.”

Charmaine was incensed by her father’s accusation and she cried out in angry outrage, “That’s only what you think! It’s not even true!”

Ignoring her outburst, Mr. Seh said, “It’s true all right. If it wasn’t for my overly protection, these guys would have easily tricked you into going to bed with them.”

Charmaine looked at her father with loathing, “How can you say that about me? I’m your daughter! Do you really think I’m that naïve or easy?”

Mr. Seh looked her in the eyes and said with finality, “Yes, I think you are because you'll fall for the first good looking guy that comes on to you. Luckily I've always been around to stop it. Just take tonight for instance.” When Charmaine made no response but looked at him with confusion, he said, “That guy Raymond Lam, I saw the way he was looking at you. And you, you were flirting with him too.”

“I was not flirting with him! I was being friendly,” Charmaine grinded out, appalled at what his father was insinuating.

“If I wasn’t around he would have gotten you to go off with him alone in no time,” Mr. Seh said simply.

Charmaine lowered her head, shamed by her father’s words because what he said was true. When she first saw Raymond she found herself drawn to him but she would never admit that to her father. And now true to her father’s words, the first chance she got away from his clutches, she slept with a total stranger.

Seeing her standing cowed before him, Mr. Seh softened his voice, “I hope you understand that I only want to protect you. You think I’m a tyrant now but one day you will realize that what I did was for your own good. I only want to keep you safe. These men all want one thing from you. Once they get it you’re no longer of value. Those who stay only want your money.”

Charmaine remained silent for a few moments then lifted her head. In a quiet voice she said, “If that is all, I would like to sleep now.” When her father didn’t say anything she turned and walked up the stairs.

Mr. Seh watched his daughter’s retreating back hating himself for the way he treats her. But he was only trying to protect her from getting hurt. At times, he knew he was being too strict but when he recalled the leery things he overhead some men in the Club say about Charmaine, fury overcomes his reason. She was everything to him and he will not have her physically or emotionally hurt ever. He also knew that she hated him for his dominance in her life. He only hoped that she would find it in her heart to forgive him when she understands his true intentions.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raymond couldn’t sleep. He’s been lying in bed for the past two hours. Every time he closed his eyes images of Charmaine would intrude his thoughts. He can’t stop thinking about her and what happened tonight. When he first laid eyes on her, he felt an immense attraction for her. It wasn’t just her outer beauty that appealed to him, it was also the way she looked at him. It was with warmth and open generosity. There was also an untouched innocence about her that he found intriguing. She spoke to him as if they’ve been friends for a long time, rather than someone she just met and should be wary of. When he saw her upset and slumped over the steering wheel asking if he needed a lift, he had a sudden urge to comfort her and take away her misery. He thought they would only talk, and with words he would try to unburden whatever was bothering her. The last thing he expected was for her to come on strongly to him and them ending up being intimate with each other. He wouldn’t lie and say that he didn’t enjoy it. In fact, he liked having her in his arms, it felt right. Raymond also knew that they were two completely opposite people from different worlds. She was wealthy and she looked it. The way she spoke and carried herself was all about class. He, on the other hand, was nothing but a poor laborer. His highest education consisted of only two years in a city college. Still, he can’t help but be pleased that he was her first. Even though he knew she regretted it later on. He read it plainly on her face. And that was what ticked him off. Here he was sitting, thinking that this one of a kind woman was interested in him and then he saw the guilt and regret on her face. He didn’t want her to see how it affected him so he covered his feelings by acting indifferent to her. And what’s worse was that she thanked him. He felt used and it hurt his pride.

“Raymond?” Frankie knocked on the door.

Raymond quickly sat up in bed, “Come in.”

Frankie walked in and flipped the light switch on. “I heard you moving around so I thought I see if you’re still awake.”

Raymond smiled, “I am.”

Frankie immediately saw the tension in Raymond’s face, “Is something bothering you?”

“No, why do you ask?”

“You look like you have a lot on your mind,” Frankie said as he perched on the end of Raymond’s bed. “Can I help you out in any way?”

Raymond confided his feelings to Frankie, even the part of him and Charmaine sleeping together. When he was done, he asked, “What do you think I should do now?”

Frankie got up and walked to the door. A frown marred his face, “Absolutely nothing. Sounds to me like she used you out of spite to get back at her father.”

Raymond was annoyed at Frankie’s words and said evenly, “She isn’t like that.”

Frankie didn’t want to push it so he said, “Let’s just wait and see if she’ll call you. If she doesn’t then you know that I’m right.”

Raymond nodded and knew that Frankie was indeed right. But he didn’t want to believe that someone as sweet and gentle as Charmaine could be so cold and dispassionate. They shared something special and magnificent tonight. And during their time together, Raymond felt like they belonged together. Raymond hoped that she felt the same way as he did.