Chapter 28

Illusions

Steven paced the conference room, stopping every now and then to look at the men seated around the long table. He lifted up a stack of folders and said, “What are we going to do now?”

The man on the right leaned forward in his chair and said, “We have to declare bankruptcy. That is the only solution to avoid these creditors.”

Steven was aghast with the suggestion, “Bankruptcy? No! My father put a lot of effort into building this company. I am not going to let it end without a fight.”

“But this company is high in debts. No bank is willing to extend a loan to us.”

Steven raked his hand through his hair with frustration and said, “I know that. What other alternatives are there for us? Can we sell some of our shares?”

An elderly man on Steven’s left spoke, “Our shares are worthless. Everyone knows the condition we’re in. No one will take that risk.”

The intercom on the side table buzzed and a female voice spoke, “Steven, Mr. Seh is here to see you.”

“Send him in,” Steven instructed, feeling that there was still hope to save the company. He would work out some sort of financial arrangement with Mr. Seh. Mr. Seh would definitely agree to help, after all he and his father had been life long friends. With the notion that everything will be okay, Steven waited for Mr. Seh to enter.

Mr. Seh walked in without a greeting to anyone. He walked up to Steven and handed him a folder, “This is for you.”

Steven looked through the invoices in the folder then turned to Mr. Seh in confusion, “What is this?”

“These are outstanding invoices that have yet to be paid by your company,” Mr. Seh said without feeling. “I am here to collect.”

Steven felt as if he been stabbed in the back, “You and my father were good friends,” he said with accusation.

Mr. Seh shrugged, “Business is business and money is money.”

Steven looked at Mr. Seh with helpless pleading, “I was hoping that since you and my father had been friends, you would help us out a bit.”

“Don’t be silly,” Mr. Seh said condescendingly. “You should know not to mix personal feelings with business.”

Steven stared at Mr. Seh, disbelief and disdain on his face. He then whispered, “You’re angry because I walked out on you that night. This is what it’s about isn’t it?”

Mr. Seh laughed softly then lowered his voice, “Think whatever you like.” He then turned to address the other men in the room, “I hope you would be able to satisfy my debt within five days otherwise I will be forced to take legal action.”

Steven knew he had no choice but to make amends with Mr. Seh. Mr. Seh was the only one who had the vast fortune to help him now. He opened his mouth to apologize but was interrupted by a knock on the door.

Raymond and Frankie strode in unannounced with Steven’s secretary trailing behind nervously. She hurried up to Steven, “I’m sorry. I told them you were in a meeting but they insisted on seeing you.”

Steven turned to them wondering why they were here. His expression must have revealed his thoughts because Frankie stepped forward and said, “We’re here to make you a proposition.”

Raymond smiled and said simply, “To help you.”

Steven looked from one brother to another and asked, “Why would you help me?”

Raymond looked directly at Steven and said softly, “Because your father helped us. This is our way of repaying him.”

Steven was stunned by Raymond’s words. He stuttered, “You’re willing to help me even after the way I treated you?”

Raymond met Steven’s eyes and said, “I’m not helping you. I’m only repaying your father for his kindness. Besides, I’m not giving you the money but lending it to you. I expect repayment in a few years.”

Mr. Seh who stood to the side walked to stand between them, “In that case,” he said as he turned to Raymond with cold calculating eyes, “I’ll leave this with you.”

Raymond returned Mr. Seh’s stare and without removing his eyes took the folder from his hands and briefly skimmed through the pages. Closing the file he smiled arrogantly and said, “Is that all? I’ll have my messenger personally hand you the check by the end of the day.”

Mr. Seh seethed with rage at Raymond’s cool attitude. He flicked a glance at Steven and then stalked out of the room.

Raymond chuckled and called after him, “Where are your manners Mr. Seh? You didn’t even say goodbye.”

Steven extended his hand out to Raymond, “You don’t know how much this means to me.”

Raymond shook his hand and from that moment on, the enmity that they once shared was gone. In its place was a new found understanding of each other.