Chapter 12

Illusions

Charmaine cried brokenly when the doctor told her that she had a miscarriage. She didn’t understand what could have caused it. She was fine and all of a sudden she had pain and then there was blood, lots of blood. During the fright and panic, she had lost her baby. The doctor reassured her that this happened quite frequently and for no reason. She didn’t do anything wrong but the fetal itself was unstable. Still, that didn’t make her feel any better. Nothing will ever be better for her. She had asked her father to call Raymond and let him know what happened. She wanted Raymond by her side. He would probably be just as torn as she is by the loss but together, she knew they would overcome the grief. Perhaps when she’s back on her feet, they could try for another baby.

Mr. Seh walked into the hospital room with a grim face. He saw Charmaine’s tear streaked face and it broke his heart. He hurried to her side, “I’m sorry about the baby. How are you feeling now?”

Charmaine fought back a wave of tears and she looked up expectedly at her father, “Did you call Raymond? Is he flying back?”

Mr. Seh touched her face and with fingers wiped at her tears, “That man do not deserve your love.”

Charmaine shook her head, angered by her father’s words, especially at this time. “Please don’t do this to me now. Just tell me is he on his way back.”

Mr. Seh looked sympathetically at Charmaine and said hollowly, “No, he’s not. I called him and told him about the miscarriage. He said… he said…” Mr. Seh trailed off.

Alarmed, Charmaine grabbed her father’s arms, “What? What did he say?” she asked anxiously, her heart thundering.

Taking her daughter’s hands in a gesture of comfort and support, Mr. Seh sadly said, “He said with the baby gone, there’s no need for him to stay married to you.”

Charmaine let the words sink and then snatched her hands away, “No!,” she shrieked, “Raymond isn’t like that. He won’t just leave me like this. You’re lying!”

Mr. Seh again turned sympathetic eyes on Charmaine and said, “I wish I was lying but it’s the truth. He asked me to start divorce proceedings on his behalf.”

“I don’t believe you!” Charmaine sobbed as she frantically picked up the phone by the bed. She didn’t hear any dial tone and slammed the phone back down. “I need a phone! I have to call him,” she wailed.

Mr. Seh took her cell phone out from his pocket and held it in front of her, “Calling him won’t do any good. It would only cause you more pain. I can’t say I disagree with him. From the start, you guys were doomed. Charmaine, you guys don’t belong together. And now with the baby gone, there’s nothing to tie you guys down to each other. Just forget about him.”

Charmaine reached for her phone but her father held tightly onto it, “Dad, give me my phone,” she said fiercely. “If he really wants a divorce, then I want to hear him say it himself.”

Mr. Seh gave her the phone reluctantly and said tenderly, “You’re only going to make yourself more upset by calling him. But I can see that is the only way you would be able to see the truth about him. Go and call him. Hear him say it himself.”

-------------------------------------

Raymond was able to book the first flight out and back home. During the long five hours until his scheduled departure, he paced and continuously called Charmaine’s phone non-stop. Apparently, she had turned her phone off because it went straight into her voicemail after the first ring. He picked up his suitcase and headed for the door. His phone rang just as he turned the knob. Thinking that it was Charmaine he quickly flipped the phone open, “Charmaine?”

Steven’s voice came through loud and clear, “Charmaine? Charmaine who?” he asked with a sneer.

Raymond said quickly, “You misheard. What is it?”

“Actually I heard correctly,” Steven said. “I’m calling about Charmaine.”

Raymond felt butterflies in his stomach and realized that if Steven was calling about Charmaine then something was indeed wrong. Especially since Steven called him on his cell phone, a number which very few people had unless given by someone close to him. “What do you want?” he said tartly.

Steven made a tsking sound then said with humor, “Hey, no need to give me attitude, I’m only calling to give you a message from the Sehs.”

Raymond was incensed by Steven’s wordplay and barked, “Just get it out will you.”

Steven laughed then his tone turned low as he said, “I know all about what happened between you and Charmaine.” After a slight pause, he continued, “Charmaine confided everything to me and had asked me to call you to tell you that she had an abortion and now wants you out of her life for good.”

Raymond clenched the phone in his hand and said coldly, “What makes you think that I would believe what you tell me?”

Steven chuckled and smartly said, “I don’t care if you believe me or not. You can call and ask her yourself. I’m just relaying a message from her. She also wants you to start the divorce process. The sooner the better...”

Raymond ended the call without hearing the rest of what Steven had to say. He picked up his suitcase and headed for the door again. He needed to see Charmaine and ask her what the hell is going on. He’s been gone for only two days and Mr. Seh and now Steven called with this lie about her aborting their baby. The sound of his phone ringing stopped him in mid-step. He looked at the caller Id: Charmaine. He quickly answered the call, “Charmaine.”

Charmaine’s voice was low and distant, unlike her usual cheerful self, “Raymond? I have something to talk to you about.”

Raymond sensed the hesitancy in her voice and thought she sounded odd. With Mr. Seh and Steven’s prior words blinding his logic, he automatically came to his own conclusion that they have been telling the truth all along. Masking his emotions, he said in a remote voice, “What do you want?”

Charmaine was stunned by the animosity in his voice, and at the same time, annoyed by it. So her father was right. With the baby gone, he really didn’t want to have anything more to do with her. Still, she needed to hear him say it. Fighting back her tears she made herself sound just as cold and indifferent as him, “Did my father tell you what happened?”

“Yes, he did,” Raymond said without feeling. “And he said everything that has to be said between us. I also think that a divorce is a good idea.”

“Divorce?” Charmaine breathed out. Then fury overtook her senses and she threw out, “I will have the papers sent to you immediately,” and she hung up.

Raymond stared at the phone in his hand, and with rage he threw it across the room.