Chapter 11

Illusions

Charmaine cradled the phone to her ear, a smile played on her lips, “You’ve only been gone for two days and you called me about twenty times already. I’m beginning to wonder are you really there working or did you lie about the whole thing so that you could get away from me.”

Raymond chuckled, “If I wanted to get away from you I wouldn’t be calling you every hour would I?” His voice turned serious as he softly said, “I can’t help but think about you. I miss you so much.”

Charmaine smiled into the phone and said, “I miss you too. Things aren’t the same without you here.”

Raymond sighed, “I feel like coming home right now. How are you feeling? How did the check up go?”

Charmaine leaned back against the pillows and said, “I feel fine and the doctor said the baby is healthy. He predicts a smooth pregnancy.”

Raymond was elated hearing that and his worries eased a bit, “That’s good to know,” he said with a yawn.

Charmaine heard the stifled sound,“You need to get some sleep,” she said with authority.

Raymond chuckled again, “Bossy aren’t you?”

“Not bossy but concern. You sound really tired. Go get some sleep. Me and the baby are both fine so you don’t have to worry. Besides, you’ll be home soon.”

Raymond knew she was right. He had been out in the field all day long and was exhausted. He would have to go out again in another eight hours. Tenderly he said, “I’m going to listen to you and catch some sleep but I’m going to call you again later.”

“Okay. Get some sleep. Goodbye,” Charmaine said and reluctantly hung up. A knock sounded on her bedroom door a second later, “Come in,” she called and sat up in bed.

Her father walked in carrying a tray. He set the tray down on her nightstand as he approached her and sat down on the bed. “Were you on the phone with Raymond?”

“Yes,” Charmaine answered, a smile plastered on her face. “He called to see how it went with the doctor.”

Mr. Seh nodded blankly and pointed to the tray, “I had this made for you. It’s bird’s nest soup and it’s good for you and the baby.”

Charmaine smiled gratefully at her father and lifted the bowl. After taking a sip, she set the bowl down and turned to her father, “Dad, I want to thank you for accepting Raymond.”

Mr. Seh looked directly at her and with affection said, “Did you think I wouldn’t? I love you and since he is now your husband I will learn to like him too.”

Charmaine lifted warm eyes at her father and said, “Thanks Dad. You don’t know how much it means to hear you say that.” She touched her stomach and spoke in a low whimsical voice to her unborn baby, “Baby, this is your grandpa. Your daddy is away now but we have your grandpa and he’s taking good care of us. See how much your grandpa loves us.”

Mr. Seh looked away guiltily and stood up, “Finish your soup.”

Charmaine did as told and when she was done, Mr. Seh took the empty bowl from her and placed it back on the tray. “I’ll let you get some rest now.”

“Sure,” Charmaine said and got up to walk her father out. Halfway across the room she felt a sharp pain in her abdomen and she cried out in pain. Her father quickly held her up, concern etched on his face, “What is it? What’s wrong?”

Charmaine clutched her stomach and doubled over as she felt a sticky wetness seeping down her legs. She stared down in horror at the blood that was slowly oozing out from the hem of her pants. She looked at her father with panic as another shot of pain stabbed at her. Her last thought before she fell into unconsciousness was that she wanted Raymond with her.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raymond bolted up in bed. Perspiration covered every inch of his body. His heart was racing and he had the uncanny feeling that something was wrong. He glanced at the clock. He had only been asleep for three hours. Getting up he walked to the bathroom where he splash cold water onto his face. Even after that, he still felt ill at ease. Could something had happen to Charmaine and their baby? No, he shook the thought away. He spoke to her three hours ago and she confirmed that both her and the baby were fine. Still, the uneasiness won’t go away. Walking back to the bed, he picked up his cell phone from the nearby table and dialed Charmaine’s number. After five rings, the call went into her voice mail. He made several more attempts and it all went into her voicemail. Now he can’t shake the feeling that something is definitely wrong. Charmaine always answered his calls. Maybe she’s in the bathroom. Raymond calmed himself down and waited another fifteen minutes before dialing her number again. This time there was an answer, only it wasn’t Charmaine. It was her father.

“Hi Mr. Seh, is Charmaine around?” he asked cordially.

Mr. Seh spoke curtly into the phone, “Please do not call her anymore. She doesn’t want to have anything more to do with you.”

Raymond scowled at the phone and held onto his patience, “Mr. Seh, can you please get Charmaine on the phone?

Mr. Seh laughed as he said, “Don’t you understand? She didn’t answer her phone because she doesn’t want to talk to you.”

“Stop your games,” Raymond said, “I know you’re lying. Now get her on the phone!” he demanded.

Mr. Seh clenched his jaw and coldly said, “She’s not here at this moment.”

Raymond took a breath to calm himself. With great tolerance, he asked, “Where is she then?”

Mr. Seh laughed softly into the phone then said snidely, “She’s at the hospital getting an abortion.” Then he turned off Charmaine’s phone.

Raymond stared at his phone in shock. No, he thought. Charmaine would never do that. Even though she never actually said it out loud to him, but Raymond knew that she had feelings for him. And those feelings were strong, strong enough for her to stay with him and keep their baby. With his heart racing, he picked up his phone again. He needed to fly back home and fast to find out what is really going on.