Chapter 2

Illusions

Stunned, Myolie and Linda asked simultaneously, “You’re kidding right?”

With his eyes still trained on the staircase Steven said with disdain, “I wish I was but it’s true. Now, do you ladies still find him handsome or cute?”

Both Myolie and Linda made a huffing sound and turned their eyes abruptly from the source of their topic.

Steven laughed at their reaction and said with a smug smile, “He’s heading towards us and I’ll be more than happy to introduce him to you ladies.”

Myolie looked at Linda, “Didn’t you say you needed to go to the ladies room? I also need to go.”

Linda nodded her head but not before giving Raymond another longing look. She gave a contrite smile to Steven and said haughtily, “Excuse us but we have to go now. We’ll see you in the dining room.”

They left just as Raymond approached. He looked at Steven without a trace of emotion on his face and waited for Steven to speak first. Steven was annoyed by his attitude but knew that if he didn’t do as his father instructed he will get an earful from him. Turning to Kenneth he made the introductions, all the while avoiding Raymond’s eyes. “This is Kenneth Ma and this is Charmaine Seh. Everyone this is Raymond Lam.”

Kenneth offered his hand and clasped Raymond’s in a warm handshake, “Nice to meet you and welcome to the Club.”

Raymond immediately like the guy and knew that he wasn’t a snob like his friend Steven here. “Nice to meet you too,” he replied with open friendliness now. He then turned towards the woman called Charmaine and was momentarily stunned by her beauty. Although her dress covered her from neck to toe, she outshined the other females in attendance, who wore low cut dresses which revealed more than concealed. He recovered quickly and was uncertain whether to extend his hand for a handshake. She answered the question for him when she held out her hand, “Nice to meet you,” she said softly with a warm smile.

Raymond felt a jolt when their hands touched and with twinkling eyes said, “Nice to meet you too.”

Kenneth placed a hand on Raymond’s shoulder and asked, “So what do you think of the Club?”

Raymond glanced around the large room filled with old antique furnishing and deep bold hues of red and gold. Oil paintings of different landscapes hung along the walls. On one wall was a fireplace that was at least ten feet wide with a small crackling fire. “Looks like I stepped back into time.”

Kenneth laughed at his conclusion and said, “I feel that way too. Sometimes I feel as if I went back to my great-great-great grandmother’s house.”

Charmaine chuckled and said to Raymond, “Kenneth tends to exaggerate as you can see.”

Kenneth pinched her nose and scolded playfully, “I don’t and you know it.”

Raymond glanced around the prestigious room again and asked, “Do you guys come here often?” Although his question was aimed at no one in particular, his eyes remained on Charmaine.

Charmaine met his eyes and felt the speed of her heart pick up. “I come here almost every weekend with my father.”

“Same here,” Kenneth replied. “Over the years Charmaine has become my Club partner.” The statement caused Charmaine to giggle.

Bewildered by the term, Raymond asked, “Club partner? What is that?”

“Who is this?” a man in his fifties asked who now stood beside Charmaine as he looked warily at Raymond.

Charmaine turned to her father and said, “Dad, this is Raymond Lam.”

Mr. Seh surveyed Raymond with contempt and sneered, “I know who he is.” He turned to look at Steven, “Your father hired him to oversee the new building project right.” When Steven nodded, he turned to Charmaine, “I don’t want you associating with this type of guy.”

Charmaine was embarrassed by her father’s behavior and looked at Raymond, who now stood staring coldly at her father. Instead of obeying her father, she said apologetically to Raymond, “My Dad loves to joke around. Don’t mind him.”

Before Raymond had a chance to respond, Mr. Seh pulled Charmaine aside and angrily said, “I was not joking. I do not even want you near him.”

Raymond stood there looking indifferently at them and without a word his heels and left. Not wanting to get involved in the quarrel between father and daughter, Kenneth and Steven also took their leave.

Charmaine noted that she was now alone with her father. Unable to conceal her rising fury she said in a low firm voice, “I hope you’re happy with yourself. Not only did you embarrass me and that guy, but you also made a fool of yourself.”

Mr. Seh laughed at the notion and said, “The people here will think I was doing the right thing by keeping you away from the likes of those guys.” Not giving Charmaine a chance to argue further he said, “I thought you didn’t want to be here tonight. Why don’t you go home? I’ll be calling in half an hour to make sure that you’re there.”

Charmaine knew that her father was not suggesting it but was ordering her to leave. Sick with humiliation at being treated like a child, she clenched her knuckles and tartly said, “Fine,” then turned around and walked steadily up the stairs and out the Club.