Chapter 1

Illusions

Charmaine entered the hall with trepidation. She didn't want to be here but her father had insisted that she attend, even if it's for an hour. It was the end of summer gathering. Rather than argue with her father and cause more rift between them she agreed with the condition that she would only stay for an hour or so and nothing more. She walked slowly down the grand staircase into the main living room of the Club. Her childhood acquaintances were all gathered by the fireplace engaged in small talk. Probably about frivolous stuff like the latest gossips or what new designer dress or bag is the hot item of the season. None of that interested Charmaine and she never considered them to be her friends. These were just people that she knew since they traveled in the same social circle. But she wasn't particularly fond of them. She never told anyone that, not even her father. She simply endured them with a forced smile and politeness that was expected of her. That is with the exception of Kenneth who she genuinely liked. Not romantically but more of a sibling kind of affection. Kenneth's father and her father were business associates and she saw Kenneth whenever their fathers dragged them along to one of their business outings, which was quite often.

Charmaine walked across the room and instead of joining her so called friends, she made a detour to the bar. “A glass of merlot please,” she said to the bartender who happily complied.

“Red wine? Why not a glass of champagne?” Kenneth asked from beside her.

Charmaine looked up with a smile, “I didn’t even see you before. Where were you hiding?”

Kenneth picked up her glass of wine and held it out to her, “I was standing right here all along. You were probably too occupied dreading about the evening and didn’t see me.”

Charmaine laughed softly, “You know me too well.” She took a sip of her wine and with her hand tucked in Kenneth’s arm, they walked towards the group by the fireplace.

“I can’t believe my father would do this to me,” Steven said tersely with hands on hips and legs akimbo as he addressed the cluster of people around him. “How could he compare me to a nobody. A nobody! He’s doesn’t even have a dime to his name.”

Kenneth stopped in front of Steven, “What are you ranting about now? What has your father done wrongly to you this time?”

Myolie sighed and said, “Steven and his constant complaints is becoming a bore.”

Steven ignored her and turned to look at Kenneth with a smile of greeting. Then he turned to Charmaine and his mood lightened and so did his tone of voice, “Nothing out of the usual. He hired a guy to oversee the development of a building and gave him the run of the project.”

Kenneth grinned and said, “What is wrong with that?”

Myolie lifted a perfectly manicured hand and as if absorbed with the well trimmed nails and answered, “Everything his father does is wrong according to Steven.”

Exasperated, Steven said tightly, “My father thinks this guy is smart, has a good head on his shoulder and feels that I could learn a thing or two from him. He was raving about how great the guy was and I thought for sure he would disinherit me and adopt him as a son.”

Unable to resist the jab, Kenneth asked, “Can you? I mean learn from him.”

Steven rolled his eyes at the prospect and said with irritation, “The guy is a nobody. Comes from the lower class and has absolutely no manners. Would you believe when I first met him, he didn’t even crack a smile. He just stood there as if I was invisible.”

“Oh I get it now,” Kenneth chuckled and stated, “You don’t like the guy because you couldn’t intimidate him with your wealth.”

Steven blushed and profusely explained, “Of course not. I’m not that kind of a person.” Seeing the disbelief faces surrounding him, he said, “Well he should have thought better than to try and shake my hand. Who does he think he is? I don’t shake hands with hired help.”

Linda lifted her nose in the air and agreed, “Of course not. They’re beneath us.”

Charmaine couldn’t help but say, “Why should there be a gap between the wealthy and the poor?”

Kenneth smiled and said, “I agree with Charmaine. Rich or poor, it doesn’t matter. We’re all people right?”

Linda said with determination, “We’re wealthy people and they’re not. So that distinguishes the difference between us. Besides, what does the poor have in common with us?”

Steven held his hands up for attention and said, “The guy will be coming here tonight. My father wants me to introduce him around.”

“What?” Linda shrieked, “I hope you don’t plan on him spending the evening with us. And don’t even think about dumping him on me and Myolie. Right Myolie?”

Myolie had her face averted towards the stair and didn’t hear what Linda had said. She was staring at a man who was descending. “Who is that guy? He is cute.” The group turned as one to look in the same direction as Myolie.

Steven smiled arrogantly and announced, “That is Raymond Lam. The guy my father hired and wants to set as an example for me.”