Chapter 10

Illusions

Raymond came home late from work and found Charmaine asleep on the sofa with the TV on. She must have wanted to stay up and wait for him. He kneeled on the floor in front of her and gently tapped her face, “Wake up my sleeping beauty.”

Charmaine jolted awake immediately, “You’re back?” she breathed and hugged him.

Raymond smiled, enjoying the feel of her arms around him, “I guess you missed me as much as I missed you.” He kissed the top of her head and thought how nice it was coming home to her every night.

Charmaine sighed and relaxed in his arm. Shyly she said, “You know I do.”

Raymond sat down beside her and bent his head to her still flat stomach, “Hi baby, it’s your Daddy. Have you been good to Mommy today?”

Charmaine giggled and tenderly ruffled his hair as he continued speaking in illegible oohs and coos to her stomach.

After a few more seconds of senseless jibbering, he sat up and gushed, “I have some news to share with you.”

Charmaine sensed the excitement in him and leaned back against his arm to look expectedly at him, “Good or bad?”

Raymond wasn’t sure to be honest. Steven had come looking for him today, offering him a chance to earn some extra money by doing a quick evaluation of a property that his father owned overseas. The entire process would take about a week and all he needed to do was draw up some plans and numbers about the area, size of the property and what potentials it might bring to develop there. The compensation offered for his time and work was six months' pay and all for just a week of his free time. He had planned on using the week to accompany Charmaine on her doctor’s appointment, apartment viewings and also post-wedding pictures. But the money was hard to turn down especially with their baby on the way. He looked hesitantly at Charmaine, “Steven’s father wants me to go the states to do some evaluations for him next week. He offered me six months salary just for that week of work.” He saw a flicker of disappointment on her face and quickly said, “I already turned him down telling him that I’ve made plans for that week.”

Charmaine saw the eagerness in Raymond’s expression when he mentioned the salary and knew that he wanted to take the job. Although she didn’t want him to go she knew she had to. She touched his face and said, “I think you should do it.”

Raymond shook his head, “No, I can’t leave you by yourself.”

“Why not?” she asked exasperated and looked at him in bafflement.

Raymond took her hand and asked quietly, “What about our wedding pictures and the other appointments?”

Charmaine laughed, “Well the wedding pictures I can’t take without a groom. So we’ll have to reschedule that. As for my doctor’s appointment and the apartment hunting, I can do that myself.”

Raymond shook his head again, “It’ll be too much for you. I don’t want you tiring yourself out. Pregnant women should not overwork themselves.”

“I’m only three months pregnant and I’m not even showing yet. How strenuous can it be?” Charmaine asked then firmly said, “Call Steven and tell him that you’re going. It’s only for a week and I’ll be here waiting for you when you get back.”

“Are you sure?” Raymond asked holding tightly to her hand. “I still don’t like the idea of leaving you alone, even if it's just for a week.”

Charmaine looked directly at him and said, “Don’t worry about me. I can take care of myself.”

“I’ll ask Frankie to stop by every day to make sure you’re okay and see if you need anything,” Raymond said.

Charmaine thought that was overdoing it and squeezed his hand, “Raymond, I’ll be fine. I don’t want him going out of his way when I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself. If it will ease your mind, I’ll go and stay with my Dad for the week. My Dad has been asking me to visit with him for a few days. He will be happy that he'll have me for an entire week.”

At the mention of her father, Raymond's face darkened. Although her father appeared to have accepted their marriage, Raymond can’t help but feel that he hasn’t totally gotten his approval and that the old man would jump at any chance to keep Raymond out of his daughter’s life. Since their confrontation, Raymond had seen Mr. Seh a few times and each time the man would either talked coldly to him or ignored him altogether.

Charmaine saw the change in Raymond and asked innocently, “Something wrong?”

Raymond didn’t have the heart to tell her that he thought her staying with her father was a bad idea. And that he was afraid her father might try to convince her to break up with him while he’s away. Instead he said, “Sounds like a good idea.”

With a smirk on her face, she got up and pulled him up along with her pushing him towards the bathroom. “Now it’s time for you to shower. You smell like sweat!”

Raymond laughed and gave her a kiss on the lips.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Seh picked up the ringing phone and placed it mechanically against his ear, “Yes?”

Steven was on the other end, “Raymond will be leaving for the states and will spend a week there.”

Mr. Seh smiled to himself, “Very good.” He opened the top drawer of his desk and pulled out a dark glass vial. He peered into its contents and said, “Charmaine will be coming back to stay with me while Raymond is away.”

Steven didn’t say anything at first, then he rushed out, “Are you sure you want to go through with it? She is your daughter!”

Mr. Seh narrowed his eyes as he continued to stare at the vial, “Because she is my ONLY daughter that is why I must do everything in my power to protect her.” He replaced the vial into the desk and said into the phone, “A father must do what he has to. Charmaine will eventually forgive me when she realizes it was all for her own good.”

“But…,” Steven began.

“Enough!” Mr. Seh barked. “Goodbye.” He slammed the phone down onto its receiver, a sinister smile on his face.