Chapter 38

Illusions

Charmaine walked into the emergency room where her father had just been operated on. The doctor said the wound wasn’t deep and that only a few stitches were needed. The knife didn’t injure any of his vital organs which was fortunate for him. Her father would be able to leave the hospital in a day or two, unless an infection occurs. Thanking the doctor and nurses, Charmaine walked towards her father’s bedside, “Dad, how are you feeling?”

Mr. Seh looked up at Charmaine and smiled weakly, “I’m okay. It hurts a bit but I’ll get better. Don’t worry about me.”

Charmaine nodded and pulled up a chair to sit beside him, “What happened? Why did Raymond tried to kill you?”

At the mention of Raymond’s name, he scowled, “That man is a bastard. I’m going to make sure he stays behind bars for a long long time.”

Charmaine was amazed at how well her father was holding up considering that he had just gotten stabbed. Anyone would have been at least a bit scared or traumatized by it. “Can you tell me what happened?”

Mr. Seh looked at Charmaine wondering what’s with the question. Didn’t he tell her that Raymond tried to kill him. He repeated, “He tried to kill me, that’s what happened.”

“But why? What were you doing up at his office anyway?” Charmaine asked as she looked intently at him.

Mr. Seh looked away from her questioning eyes and huffed, “I wanted to talk to him about a new business idea I have. I should have known better than to try and do business with a man like him.”

Charmaine didn’t believe that for one second. She smiled sadly and said, “You would never do business with him. Are you going to tell me the truth or should I ask him?”

Mr. Seh looked aghast at Charmaine and said with irritation, “You don’t believe me?”

Charmaine pushed her chair back and stood up. She stared hard at her father and said quietly, “This is your last chance: are you going to tell me the truth?”

Mr. Seh stuck with his story. In a loud firm voice he said, “Raymond Lam tried to kill me and I will tell that to the police and to the judge.”

Charmaine shook her head and softly asked, “You really hate him don’t you?”

“Of course I do!” Mr. Seh bit out. “After the way he treated you, I wish I could kill him.”

Charmaine felt her own anger rise as she looked straight at her father and said, “You hate him enough to kill your own grandchild and hurt me during the process don’t you?”

Mr. Seh looked up at Charmaine in shock but recovered quickly. Unable to meet her eyes, he mumbled, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You don’t?” Charmaine asked sarcastically. “Should I tell you then?” Charmaine saw the guilty flush on her father’s face. In a raw scratchy voice she asked, “I’m your daughter! That was your grandchild! How could you?”

Instead of denying it, Mr. Seh held her gaze and said with authority, “I did what was best for you. I would do it again if I have to.”

Charmaine closed her eyes and cried softly. When the last of her tears were gone, she opened her eyes and looked directly at her father. In a hoarse voice, she said, “I will never forgive you. Never!” She turned to leave.

Mr. Seh called out to her, “Charmaine, where are you going?”

Charmaine stopped at the door but kept her back to him. With her hand on the door knob she said firmly, “I’m going to see Raymond and tell him how sorry I am for everything. Then I’m going to tell him I love him.”

Mr. Seh spoke in a calm voice, “If you do that then you’re no longer my daughter.”

Charmaine turned around and smiled softly at her father, “Since I found out what you did, I already knew that you didn’t think of me as a daughter because no father would ever do what you did. You don’t love me, you just want to own me. Goodbye.” She left without waiting for a reply from him.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raymond followed Frankie into their house and quickly dropped down on a sofa, “It’s good to be home.”

Frankie smiled, “I must admit when you first suggested planting video cameras in our offices I was not too keen about it. But now, I know how useful it could be. If it wasn’t for them then the police would never have believed that the old man could be that scheming.”

“And my name would never be cleared,” Raymond added. “I would have been put on trial and charged based on what everyone believed was the truth.”

Frankie slapped Raymond lightly on the back, “Don’t be mad at the staff. You can’t blame them for thinking that way. If I wasn’t your brother I would have thought the same thing considering how everything was set up against you.”

Raymond chuckled, “I know. I’m not mad at them.” His thoughts Charmaine as he recalled the accusation in her eyes. He didn’t have the strength or stamina to continue badgering back and forth with her. Although she will always have a place in his heart, she didn’t feel the same way about him. She never did and never will. She never wanted to be with him in the first place. It was written plainly on her face whenever he saw her. It was time, he thought, to just let it all go.

“Now the police are going to charge Seh for false incrimination. I wonder how that will turn out,” Frankie wondered out loud.

Raymond stood up and headed for the stairs, “However it turns out is none of my business. I am through with them. I’m returning to the states. This place is not for me.”

“Are you sure?” Frankie asked, his face lit in a smile of relief.

Raymond nodded, “I’m sure.” He started up the stairs but the maid stopped him in mid step. “Mr. Lam, a Charmaine Seh left a message for you to call her. She said it was urgent.”

Raymond looked at Frankie then turned back to the maid, “If she calls again, tell her that I left and will not be coming back ever again.”