Chapter 15

Illusions

Charmaine walked into the pantry and poured herself a cup of hot steaming coffee. With a smile she took a small sip, enjoying the aroma that rose from it.

“Another coffee break?” Kenneth asked from the doorway.

Charmaine laughed as she grabbed an empty cup and poured him a cup. She passed it to him, “I am extremely tired and this hits the spot.”

“Are you free tonight?” Kenneth asked as he stirred sugar and milk into his coffee.

Charmaine looked at him in wonder, “Why?”

“My friend is hosting a party for someone who has just returned from the states. And you know how I hate going to these things without a date,” Kenneth said then gave her a tigerish smile. “Will you be my date for the night? I’ll buy you dinner for a week if you do.”

Charmaine didn’t want to. She hated socializing and besides, she had been up working for the past few nights. What she like to do most was go home and curl in bed and sleep. “I’d rather not,” she said, “Why don’t you ask Selena to go with you?”

Kenneth laughed at the mention of the name and joked, “Selena? I would have to get in line for a date.” Pouring more coffee into his cup, he added seriously, “She turned me down already.”

Charmaine giggled, “I’m surprised. She loves these types of events. What was her excuse?”

Kenneth looked thoughtfully at Charmaine and said, “She claims she has a date already for the night. She won’t tell me with who.” Putting down his mug he looked curiously at her, “Who is she dating now and what’s with all the secrecy?”

“I don’t know myself. I’ve asked several times but each time she tells me when the time is right she’ll tell us who he is,” Charmaine answered. She bit back a yawn and said, “I’m really tired and looking forward for a night of rest.”

Kenneth nodded with understanding, “That’s okay. I guess I’ll go alone.” He lowered his head and turned to walk away like a rejected child.

Charmaine felt bad and although she knew it was just a tactic on his part, she stopped him anyway, “Wait.” With a sigh, she rolled her eyes and said, “I’ll go with you.”

Kenneth smiled brightly, “Only if you’re sure. I don’t want you falling asleep on my arm. That would be quite embarrassing on my part. I wouldn’t want the ladies to think that I bore my dates to sleep.”

Charmaine slapped his arm and glowered at him, “You owe me dinner for a week.” She brushed past him and hollered over her shoulder, “Pick me up at 7:00pm.”

Kenneth stood erect and saluted her back, “Yes madam!”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Selena looked at herself in the full length mirror and was happy with her appearance. Bosco was due to pick her up any minute and she didn’t want to keep him waiting. He was throwing a party for his friend, a welcome back party. She didn’t know who his friend was but she didn’t care either. Bosco was what matters to her. They have been dating on and off for a few months now. She is hoping that he can make some sort of commitment towards her. Charmaine didn’t know about it and she didn’t want to tell her until her relationship with Bosco is steady. She picked up a tube of lipstick and smoothed it over her lips. The doorbell rang. She quickly capped it and ran to the door and opened it. “You’re right on time,” she greeted.

Bosco smiled playfully at her, “Aren’t I always? Especially when I’m picking up a beautiful girl.”

Selena smiled shyly at his flattery and said, “I’m ready.”

Bosco chuckled and held out his hand, “So am I.”

They walked silently to his car, which luckily for them was just around the corner. When Bosco pulled into traffic, he said, “Did I mention how beautiful you look tonight?”

Selena blushed and murmured, “Thank you.”

“I want to tell you that if I seem to be ignoring you later on this evening, please forgive me. Since I’m the host I may be all over the place greeting everyone.”

“I understand,” Selena said as she turned to look at him. “Don’t worry about me.”

Bosco picked up her hand and kissed the palm of it, “You’re the best.”

Feeling the heat of his kiss run through her body, Selena quickly pulled her hand away. “Tell me about this friend of yours. The one you’re throwing a party for.”

Bosco kept his eyes on the road ahead as he talked, “I met him while I was over in the states. He and I worked on a project together and we hit if off from the very beginning. Even when I came back home, we still kept in touch. I’ve visited him a few times when I was over there and he always welcomed me with open doors. Now that he’s back its only right of me to offer him the same courtesy. I also want to introduce him around to everyone.”

Selena asked, “How long will he be staying for?”

“He’s not planning on leaving again. This is his hometown and where he belongs.”

“How come you never mentioned him before,” Selena asked as she turned to look at him.

Bosco felt her eyes and turned to grin at her, “Because he likes to maintain a low profile. That’s funny coming from someone who’s face has been in every newspaper and magazine for the past two years right?”

Selena nodded in agreement.

Bosco turned into the parking lot of the restaurant and turned off the ignition. “Our guest of honor will be here soon. Let’s hurry in and make sure everything is ready. Tonight will be a night to remember.”