Chapter 22

Illusions

Mr. Seh walked into the bright white office and took a seat by the window. Picking up the glass of brandy from the glass table he gingerly took a sip and smiled, “You know what I like.”

Damien chuckled, “We’ve been good friends for decades. How could I not?” He picked up a box of cigars and offered one to his guest. “I just got these imported from Cuba.”

“No thanks, I promised Charmaine I’ll quit,” he said.

Damien nodded knowingly, “How is she doing these days? I haven’t seen her for some time.”

Mr. Seh placed his glass down and said matter of factly, “She’s fine for the time being. I don’t know about later.”

“Huh? What do you mean by that? Has something happened?” Damien asked.

Mr. Seh leaned back in his chair as he looked directly at his friend, “We have a problem that needs to be dealt with and only you can help us.”

Damien smiled assuringly, “If I can help I will. What is it?”

“Do you have someone by the name of Raymond Lam interested in buying your Galleria property?”

“Why yes,” Damien replied, “We’re set to sign the contract this afternoon. Nice young man. Very smart and have a good head for business. He sort of reminded me of us when we were his age.”

Mr. Seh bit back a snarl at the comparison. “I need a favor from you.”

“Sure, ask.”

Mr. Seh looked intently at Damien and said, “Call the deal off. Don’t sell him the property.”

Damien was aghast with the suggestion and said, “Why not? He’s offering me more money than what’s the property worth.”

“To be honest, I’ve been spreading the word to everyone not to have any business dealings with him. I’m determined to drive him out of here and fast,” Mr. Seh responded in a tone rougher than he expected.

Damien leaned forward in his chair and asked curiously, “What is this really about? Did he offend you in some way?”

“It’s not me he offended but Charmaine,” Mr. Seh said. “He made a pass at her and when she refused he insulted her. He called her all sorts of vile names.”

Damien was stunned by this information and said, “He doesn’t seem like that type of a person. From the couple of times that I’ve met with him, he had always been polite and well mannered.”

Mr. Seh laughed harshly, “You’re a male! That’s the difference.” He looked at Damien and asked, “Well, will you do me this favor?”

“Of course I will,” Damien said firmly. “I’ve known Charmaine since she was a little girl and I won’t let anyone get away with insulting her.”

Mr. Seh smiled with gratitude, “Thank you. To be fair, I’m willing to give you the difference in the sale price if you find another buyer for the property.”

Damien chuckled, “There’s no need. Being able to help Charmaine is good enough.”

“Thanks,” Mr. Seh said lifting his glass to his mouth and blocking Damien from seeing the sly grin on his face.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Frankie entered Raymond’s office without knocking causing Raymond to look up in surprise. “Damien just called. He’s backing out of the deal,” Frankie gushed out.

“What?” Raymond got up from his chair and leaned on the table, “We’re supposed to sign the contract in another hour.”

Frankie placed his hands on his hips as he grounded out, “I just got off the phone with him. Apparently, he’s not interested in selling us Galleria anymore.”

“I spoke with him yesterday and he was still fine with the deal. In fact, he seemed eager to close fast. What reason did he give?” Raymond asked in wonder.

Frankie stared hard at Raymond and said, “Charmaine Seh.”

Raymond was puzzled as to what she could have to do with it, “I don’t understand.”

Frankie walked up to stand in front of Raymond’s desk and met his brother’s eyes, “Don’t you get it? It’s all Charmaine. She doesn’t want you here. Damien also informed me that no one will be doing business with us either.”

Raymond felt his heart hammer and he asked, “Did he actually say it was Charmaine who asked him to back out?”

Frankie nodded solemnly, “He said that Charmaine is like a daughter to him and whatever she wants he’ll do.”

Raymond felt like he just got punched. It couldn’t be. Not too long ago, they have called a truce and decided to go their separate ways. Charmaine seemed genuine at that time. Why would she renege on her word and try to run him out of town? Then he realized that it was just like her to act like a saint in front of him and then do something outrageous and unthinkable behind his back. She did it once before. Wiping away all the emotions he had ever felt for her, he asked Frankie, “Is that all he said?”

Frankie thought for a moment then said, “He did say something about not letting any one get away with hurting Charmaine. That comment doesn’t make any sense since she’s the one who has been hurting you from day one.”

Raymond didn’t really hear what Frankie was saying. His thoughts were on how he was going to make Charmaine Seh pay for all that she has done to him.