Chapter 37

Illusions

Raymond walked into the reception area of his office and found Mr. Seh waiting for him. The receptionist informed him that he had been waiting for some time already. He walked over to the older man and rudely asked, “Why are you here?”

Mr. Seh bit back a retort as he smiled, “I have a proposition for you. Do you mind if we discussed this in private?” He turned to bestow a friendly smile to the receptionist before turning back to Raymond and said with jolly, “After all, we’ve known each other for years.”

Raymond thought Mr. Seh’s behavior was kind of odd but didn’t put much thought into it. However, he was curious to know what brought the man to seek him out. In a dispassionate voice, he said, “In my office,” and walked ahead without waiting for Mr. Seh.

Inside the solitude of Raymond’s office, Mr. Seh dropped his smile and glared at Raymond with open hatred. He stood astride, as he said in a low threatening voice, “I want you to stay the hell away from Charmaine!”

Raymond chuckled at the threat as he leaned back against his chair staring at Mr. Seh as if he was a child. In a condescending tone he said, “First of all you shouldn’t curse and second don’t tell me what I can or cannot do.”

Mr. Seh walked up to Raymond and braced his hands on his desk, “I’m warning you, don’t push me or you’ll regret it.”

Raymond stared at Mr. Seh and said, “What goes on between me and Charmaine is our business and no one else’s.”

“What is wrong with you? She aborted your baby years ago because she doesn’t want to have anything to do with you. She’s been doing everything to avoid you. Why are you still harassing her? Are you that desperate to want a woman who obviously can’t stand the sight of you?”

Raymond’s face darkened as he stood up and hissed, “Get out of my office!”

Mr. Seh laughed, his expression turning to one of mockery, “I will after I finish saying what I came to say.” His eyes flicked over Raymond’s face, a devilish grin played on his lips, “I know what you want but I’m telling you it’s not going to happen. You see, despite all your wealth and your accomplishments, Charmaine still sees you as a nobody and will never be happy with you.” He walked up to Raymond and added, “Money you already have. So what can I offer to make you go away and leave Charmaine alone once and for all?”

Raymond gave Mr. Seh a menacing smile before saying, “You can drop dead. And as I said earlier, whatever goes on between me and Charmaine is our business and no one else’s.”

“I’m warning you,” Mr. Seh growled, “Don’t push me.”

Raymond taunted him, “What if I do? What could you possibly do to me?”

Mr. Seh retrieved a small hunting knife from his pocket and snapped the blade up. He lightly traced the sharp edge with his fingertips, his beady eyes fixed on Raymond.

Raymond chuckled as he looked at the lethal weapon then at Mr. Seh from head to toe, “You’re no match for me so don’t even try it. Now please get out of my office!”

Mr. Seh smiled smugly at Raymond, a crazed look in his eyes. Suddenly he lifted the knife high in the air and stabbed himself in the stomach. He cowered over with pain and dropped the knife onto the floor and ran out of the office screaming, “Help! Somebody help me! He’s trying to kill me!”

Raymond was stunned by what Mr. Seh did. He ran after the older man, while all his employees scrambled around. Some trying to get out of Raymond’s way and others hurrying to help Mr. Seh.

Mr. Seh ran wildly behind desks and chairs still ranting, “Help! Help! Raymond Lam tried to kill me!” Then he dropped to the floor as if his energy was all spent. He pointed a shaky finger at Raymond and weakly said, “H-Help… H-He tried to k-kill me.”

All eyes turned with horror to look at Raymond. Frankie heard the commotion and ran out of his office, “What’s going on here?” He saw Mr. Seh sitting on the floor, his face pale and blood seeped from his white shirt. “Call the ambulance,” he yelled then turned to look at Raymond with an unreadable expression.

Raymond was stunned by what had just transpired. He looked helplessly at Frankie and said, “I didn’t do it. I swear I didn’t! He stabbed himself!”

Frankie grabbed his arm and quietly said, “I believe you.” However the faces of their employees told him that they didn’t.

Someone must have called the police during the rampage because a few moments later a squad of uniformed men rushed into their office surrounding the area. The leader of them spoke to his team and then they scattered about lining everyone up for a recount of what had just happened. The paramedics arrived seconds later. They quickly lifted Mr. Seh onto a gurney and took his vitals. Just then Charmaine stepped off the elevators and took in the scene. She saw her father and rushed to his side, “Dad, what happened?” she cried.

Mr. Seh slowly lifted a finger at Raymond and said in a ragged whisper, “H-he tried to kill me.”

Charmaine turned to look at Raymond with open accusation. In a calm voice she asked, “How could you?”

Raymond felt his heart break by the look in her eyes. He shook his head, feeling the weight of the event pressing down on him. He met her eyes squarely and said firmly, “I didn’t.”

Her father was lifted and was being carried out. Without another word, Charmaine followed.

The captain of the police squad walked up to Raymond with handcuffs out, “Raymond Lam, you’re under arrest for assault.”