Chapter 19

Illusions

Charmaine hurried into the hotel ballroom and saw Selena standing off to the side. Without greeting anyone she rushed to her side, “What’s the emergency?” she asked as she scanned Selena’s face to see whether she was sick or something.

Selena sighed with relief and grabbed Charmaine’s hands, “Thank God you came. I really need your help!”

Sensing the urgency in the matter since Selena was not one to be dramatic, Charmaine said, “Sure. What is it?”

Selena pulled Charmaine towards a deserted area, “One of the model is sick and called me at the last minute. I’m short a model now and I can’t find anyone who’s available to replace her. You’re about her size, do you mind filling in for her?”

“What?” Charmaine shrieked, “You pulled me out of work for this? I had meetings lined up all day.”

Selena knew she shouldn’t have but this fashion show was very important to her. Whether she made it or not depended on it. All the top retailers will be attending the event and if she was fortunate, her line of clothes will make a hit on them. It took months of planning and strategy to organize the show and all the major players in the fashion world will also be present. She looked pleadingly at Charmaine, “I know I shouldn’t have but you know how important this is to me. Please Charmaine. Can’t you do this for your very very best friend?”

Charmaine remained silent as if contemplating Selena’s words.

Selena saw Charmaine’s hard expression and once more pleaded, “Please say you’ll help me.”

Suddenly Charmaine laughed, “Of course I will. Today is your big day. I already took the day off to attend the show but I didn’t think I would be in it too. Would I let my very very best friend in the world down?”

Selena hugged Charmaine and visibly relaxed, “You’re the best.” She released her and took her hand and started dragging her towards an open door, “The dressing rooms are right in there. I’ll get you the dress and accessories and have you speak to the director on what to do.”

Charmaine nodded as she allowed Selena to lead her. “I do have one condition before I commit myself fully.”

Selena turned to look at her, “Anything you want. Just name it.”

Charmaine stopped walking and looked coyly at Selena, “I want all the details on your relationship with Bosco. You can’t leave anything out!”

Selena was about to object but then she saw the gleam in Charmaine’s eyes, “Alright! I promise to tell you everything after the show. I was going to anyway since you already saw us together.”

“Bosco huh? Who would have known,” Charmaine teased. “You guys sure hid it well.”

They walked into the dressing room as Selena lowered her voice, “We weren’t trying to hide it. We just wanted to let it be.”

Charmaine crossed her arms and said reproachingly, “As I recall I did ask you for the name of the guy you’re seeing. You refused to tell me!”

Selena giggled nervously, “Really? I don’t remember that.” She saw that Charmaine wasn’t buying it and confessed, “Ok, I admit I was trying to hide it. I didn’t want to tell anyone until he was ready to make a commitment.”

“I get it,” Charmaine said. “Enough about him for now. Where’s the dress?”

Selena walked to a metal stand with dozen of dresses hanging on hangers from the center bar. Her fingers skipped along the numbers that was taped to each dress and stopped at a long silk ivory dress. She held it up for Charmaine, “Here it is.”

Charmaine took the dress and smiled in awe, “It’s beautiful.”

“I’m glad you like it,” Selena said then with hands on Charmaine’s shoulders marched her into a dressing booth, “Now get changed. The show will start soon.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raymond and Frankie walked into the grand room and took their seats in the front row which faced the runway. Raymond did not like fashion shows. Lots of men appreciated them for it gave them the opportunity to openly ogle women dressed in skimpy and often revealing dresses. To Raymond, it was boring and a waste of time. The only reason he agreed to come was because the owner of the building that Raymond was intent on acquiring wanted to discuss the deal here. As strange as it may sound, Raymond wasn’t surprised. These wealthy men were all the same deep down. They have their little quirks and interests and most of them revolved around women. Raymond didn’t mind going along for the ride every now and then but if the choice was his, he preferred the old fashion way of meetings, in a conference room where they would sit around a table.

“It’s starting,” Frankie mumbled as the lights dimmed and a series of spotlights focused on the stage.

Raymond sat back in his chair fully prepared for an hour of heavily made women prancing up and down the long tee of the stage. The first model who came out wore a black chiffon layered dress that was low in the bodice and cut extremely short. It left little to the imagination. The second model was dressed basically the same way although the dress was cut a bit different and in a bright color. The third model who came out wore a dress that was entirely different from the first two dresses. From the distance Raymond could not make out the face but looking at the outline he already knew who she was. His breath caught in his throat as he watch her slowly and nervously approach the stage. She kept her smile in place as she made her way down the center in his direction. Raymond knew that Charmaine was not able to see him and it gave him the advantage to study her without her knowledge. He felt Frankie stiffen in his chair when he too realized who she was. Raymond watched as Charmaine gracefully retraced her steps and disappeared from the stage. He could not help but think how beautiful she is. Although he hated her he can’t deny that he was still intensely attracted to her and that was something that he did not want to feel.

The rest of the show carried on with Raymond paying little attention. When it was finally over, all the models returned to the stage for one last viewing. Raymond’s eyes found Charmaine immediately and he kept his eyes glued to her.

Frankie saw where Raymond’s attention was and nudged him, “Stop it,” he whispered.

Keeping his eyes on Charmaine, Raymond absently said, “Stop what.”

“You’re falling for her again aren’t you,” Frankie stated with annoyance and reminded, “Don’t forget what she did to you and your baby.”

Raymond turned to Frankie and realized what he said was true. He can’t let it happen. He made himself think about the past and the icy wall went up where Charmaine was concern. In a tone devoid of any feelings, he said, “Don’t worry. I won’t.”