Chapter 18

Illusions

Raymond returned to the restaurant but instead of heading towards the dining area he made a detour to the men's room. Alone inside, he braced his hands on the sink and took deep long breaths to steady his racing heart. He remained standing there, inhaling and exhaling for about five minutes before he looked up at his reflection in the mirror. He looked tired and withdrawn. To outsiders they probably wouldn't notice anything different about him. Frankie, however, could read every thought that goes through Raymond's head just by taking in small facial details, details that people wouldn't think twice about. Slumped over the sink, he went over what just happened. He knew that he was bound to run into Charmaine sooner or later. He had been anticipating it and was actually prepared for it. He would act cordial to her as if she was a stranger that he had just met. It was his way of showing her that her existence was nothing to him. But when he actually came face to face with her and hearing her say she didn’t remember him irritated him. Why? He didn’t know himself especially since all along he had planned on having as little contact with her as possible. Jumping into the car and causing a scene with her was something he didn’t plan on either. He didn’t know what possessed him to grab her like that. At that moment, all he could think of was hurting her for not remembering him. Yet, when he saw the glistening wetness in her eyes, he snapped out of his anger and cursed himself for his behavior. Charmaine seem to get to him like no one else can. He thought he was over her but was he really? He didn’t know for sure now. One thing he did know is that she aborted their baby. That was one thing he would never forgive. He will keep that in mind if he came across her again. It would prevent him from softening his heart towards her like he did before.

The door pushed open and Bosco walked, “Why aren’t you outside?”

Raymond smiled and pushed himself from the sink, “It’s a bit stuffy out there so I needed to cool off.”

“In the bathroom?” Bosco asked with amazement.

Raymond pulled out some paper towels and dabbed at his forehead, “I wanted to wash my face.”

Accepting the answer, Bosco moved towards the sink and began splashing water onto his own face, “How was Charmaine feeling when you took her to the car?”

Raymond adjusted his tie in the mirror and said casually, “I don’t know. I didn’t ask.”

Bosco looked at Raymond strangely, “You didn’t ask? Why not?”

“Should I?” Raymond retorted as he began picking up invisible lint from his jacket not understanding where this conversation was leading to.

Bosco smiled impishly at Raymond and said, “Well, what do you think of her?”

Raymond turned to Bosco, “Why are you asking?”

“Charmaine is still single you know,” Bosco said as if that was the only answer Raymond needed.

“So?” Raymond asked narrowing his eyes. “What does that got to do with anything?”

Exasperated Bosco looked at Raymond and slyly said, “You don’t have a girlfriend and she doesn’t have a boyfriend. I think you two would hit it off.” Mistaking Raymond’s silence for hesitancy, Bosco added, “She is beautiful, smart and a wonderful person. Why don’t you take a shot at her?”

“I don’t think so,” Raymond blurted out sarcastically. Seeing Bosco’s frown he said with humor, “What I mean is that I don’t have time for a relationship now. I want to get my business up and running here first before thinking about dating.”

Bosco nodded with understanding, “It’s just as well. She’ll turn you down anyway.”

Intrigued by the comment, Raymond asked, “Why do you say that?”

Bosco took a step closer to Raymond and lowered his voice, “Charmaine has never dated anyone.” Seeing the skepticism on Raymond’s face, he amended, “Wait, she dated someone a few years ago but it was a very traumatic experience for her. Since then, it’s as if she’s turned off of men. Accordingly to Selena, that one time experience was more than enough for Charmaine. Sure lots of men have tried to court her but she was never interested in any of them. And most of those guys were rich and handsome men. It makes me curious to know what happened in her previous relationship. Selena knows but she refuses to tell me. Said something about trust and honoring their friendship.”

Perhaps it was his ego but Raymond found himself delighted to learn that Charmaine hasn’t dated any one since him. Not that it should matter since he had no intention of seeing her again. Unless it was by accident, like tonight. Taking one last look in the mirror he changed the topic, “Don’t you think we should head back out now? People are going to start wondering where is the host and the guest of honor.”

Bosco suddenly realized where they were and said, “I’m right behind you.” At the door Bosco placed his arm around Raymond’s shoulder and said, “Are you sure you don’t want to give Charmaine a try?”

Raymond looked straight at Bosco and said with finality, “No.”