Chapter 33

Illusions

Kevin glided Charmaine across the dance floor, his eyes fixed on her face. They made a sweeping turn around the room and Kevin pressed against the small of her back as they swung in motion to the music. He held her hand gently in his, “Thanks for allowing me to accompany you tonight. I’m having a great time.”

Charmaine smiled at him and said, “I should be thanking you for being able to come at the last minute.”

Kevin lowered his head slightly as he felt himself blush, “Even if I was busy I would have made myself available for you.”

The meaning was clear to Charmaine. She quickly took a step back away from him and changed the topic, “Do you know what Kenneth is up to tonight? He rarely cancels out on me.”

If Kevin noticed her sudden change of behavior, he didn’t show it. He gazed into her eyes and said, “I don’t know. He was very secretive about it and told me not to ask. I’m actually glad that he couldn’t make it.”

Charmaine looked away from his penetrating gaze and actually fumbled in her step. “I’m sorry,” she said awkwardly when she accidently stepped on his shoe. “I guess I had a bit too much to drink.”

Kevin steadied her with his hands and when she had regained her balance, he ree hand to her back and the other held her hand firmly. “That makes the both of us. For some reason, tonight feels magical to me.”

Charmaine felt her nerves twitch and prayed that what she was suspecting isn’t true. She looked away and pretended to concentrate on her steps.

Kevin continued to watch her and after a moment took a deep breath and blurted, “Charmaine, I never met anyone like you before and I think I’m in love with you.”

That comment brought her to rivet her eyes back on him. She stared at him, stunned by his outburst. His face has now changed to a red hue as he boldly kept his gaze on her. She could tell he was as uncomfortable as she was with the sudden declaration. If it wasn’t for the seriousness expression on his face, Charmaine would have laughed out loud at the situation. Gently she said, “I think you had a bit too much to drink also.”

Kevin shook his head slowly and affirmed, “I meant every word.” He held her hand up between them and asked, “Will you give me a chance?”

“I hope I’m not interrupting but may I cut in,” Raymond said as he stood next to them. His expression set and unreadable, only the erratic clenching of his jaw revealed his underlying fury.

Charmaine turned to him with reluctance and yet relieved that he came at the right time to save her from answering Kevin’s question. Turning back to Kevin, she smiled sweetly and said, “I hope you don’t mind.”

Kevin dropped his hands. His eyes darted to Raymond and he saw the air of power and confidence in the other man and it made him feel inferior. Humbly he said, “Of course not,” and walked meekly away.

As soon as Kevin walked away, Raymond wasted no time in pulling Charmaine into his arms. Charmaine looked up at him warily and because she didn’t want to cause a scene, allowed herself to be pulled in.

They moved silently together, their eyes locked, both content with not saying anything. Raymond applied gentle pressure on her back, pressing her closer to him. Charmaine shot him an annoyed look, angered by his familiarity. In a low voice she hissed, “What are you doing?”

Raymond gave her a bewitching smile and replied, “I’m dancing. Isn’t that what we’re doing?”

Charmaine glared at him and tried to put some distance between them but Raymond’s arm across her back was like an iron bar.

He returned her stare with challenge, daring her to make a scene, knowing already that she wouldn’t. When he felt the tension and fight drain from her he smiled and said, “I used to imagine us dancing together at a ball like this. Us laughing and having a great time.”

Charmaine was amazed by the incredulity of his words. Unable to contain herself, she snapped, “It’s odd that you would even think of me at all.”

Raymond kept his eyes on her as he confessed, “I think of you all the time.”

Charmaine snickered with disbelief and sarcastically asked, “Really? Then did you think of me when I was lying in the hospital?”

Raymond frowned. He had hope that they would reach an understanding tonight but why was she acting so resentful. Still staring deeply into her eyes, he calmly answered, “Yes I did, even though I shouldn’t.”

Charmaine felt a heaviness in her heart by his admittance and at the same time, conflicted by his desertion years ago. She carefully blanked out her expression and casually, as if speaking to a stranger, said, “I don’t want to keep Kevin waiting. If you’ll excuse me…”

Raymond tightened his hold on her, not letting her go, and asked, “Did you ever wondered or cared about how I felt after what you did?”

Charmaine turned to him with accusation and hoarsely whispered, “What I did? I didn’t do anything except fall for someone like you! And what did I get out of that? Years of pain and regret that I will never forget!”

Raymond stared at her, each word she spoke was like a nail driving deeper and deeper into his already shattered heart. Loosening his hold he said remorsefully, “Perhaps you’re right. The short time that we were together left us with nothing but years of pain that neither of us can ever forget.”

Charmaine felt constrict and quickly blinked away the tears she knew will be forthcoming. She looked directly at him and said forlornly, “At one point we were happy but that’s all in the past. No matter what you do now, there are just some things that I will never be able to forgive.”

Raymond was curious by her words. He scrunched his face in thought and asked, “Forgive me for what? What have I ever done wrong?”

“There you are,” Mr. Seh called out loudly to Charmaine. He ignored Raymond as he took Charmaine’s elbow, “Uncle Lau said he hasn’t spoken to you in weeks and wants to catch up.”

Dismissing Raymond’s questions, Charmaine turned to look at him one last time, “It’s best if we could try to avoid each other from now on.” She then walked away with her father.