Chapter Nine

It Slips Through Your Fingers

Hyukjae finds himself uncharacteristically nervous an hour before the auditions. It's so bad that when the teacher calls on him for who knows what - he doesn't even remember what class this is - he bursts out, "Pi r squared!" Then he realized that he was in his history class, but it was too late because the whole class was laughing - even the teacher couldn't help but chuckle before calling on another student.

When he sees Donghae, though, he finds himself a little calmer. He already is in his clothes - which he feels a bit uncomfortable in, still - and is going over the moves in his mind one last time.

"Cover that up a bit," Donghae says, tugging at the sides of the jacket to hide Hyukjae's chest.

Hyukjae frowns. "You're the one who suggested I wear it like this."

"Yeah, but only at the audition," he says. "I don't want others to gawk at you."

Hyukjae flushes and mutters, "No one will even bother looking..."

Donghae rolls his eyes and says, "Yeah, right." He hands Hyukjae a black shirt to put on underneath, which he does.

"Did you practice last night?" Hyukjae asks, hoping to change the subject.

"Yep," Donghae says. "I'm ready to go!"

...

"I'm not ready, Eunhyuk," Donghae says, his words coming out in a rush. They're next, and Donghae is pacing next to Hyukjae, irking Hyukjae and making him feel anxious as well.

"Stop that," he snaps. "I thought you said you were fine."

"That was then, this is now," Donghae hisses, taking in quick breaths. He shakes his hands and takes in one deep breath. "Okay, you know what? I'm good, I'm fine..."

"Number twenty-five!" one of the judges calls.

"Ah!" Donghae yelps, clinging to Hyukjae's arm.

Hyukjae shakes him off and gently tugs Donghae along towards the middle of the stage.

"Partners?" one of the judge asks, raising an eyebrow skeptically. "That's a risky thing for you two to do. You know how little the chances are of you two to even get accepted, right?"

Hyukjae, realizing Donghae is a bit too stunned to speak at the moment, nods.

"Well, then let's get started," another judge says, leaning back.

Donghae scurries to pop in the CD, and then rushes back to get into position. A helped pressed play, and when the music started, so did the magic.

They start their dance as planned. The two find themselves lost in the music and executing the moves as perfectly as they can, matching the beat and getting each move to work as well as they can. It's only about two minutes, but they don't even notice.

The two barely even realize it when the judges start clapping slowly, nodding their heads in appreciation. Donghae feels as if he could faint, and does so into Hyukjae's arm. Hyukjae struggles to keep Donghae's weight steady in his arms, but he's a bit tired from the dance, too.

"We did not expect that," one of the judges admitted, the same from earlier.

"You two were able to compliment each other, but at the same time, show off your individualities in the dance. You were able to highlight each other very well, and, as shocking as it may seem, I think you guys did better together than you could have seperately," another judge praises.

"I agree," the last of the three judges says. "I mean, most of the time, when a pair dances together, either one gets too much spotlight, or the two blend in to a point where they could have auditioned solo because it lacks variety. But you two were able to sync together, while showing off your own skills. It was very impressive."

Donghae beams at the compliments, and Hyukjae is trying is best not to smile too widely.

"Congratulations, boys," one of them says. "We'll be posting the ten who can pass on after two hours. Stay tuned."

The two leave, feeling relieved but still a little anxious.

"Did you have to tear my shirt, by the way?" Donghae asks as they rest in the hallway along with other other anxious boys.

Hyukjae laughs a little. "Sorry. You shouldn't have given it to me."

Donghae rolls his eyes. "I didn't think you'd tear it," he mutters.

The two wait outside, playing with their hands nervously and eyeing everything. Donghae goes off to buy them a drink to calm their nerves, and comes back with Siwon.

"Eunhyuk!" Siwon says, greeting him with a smile. "I heard the audition was successful."

"Yeah," Hyukjae says, smiling back. "Hey, Siwon."

"Are you going to stick around for the results?" Donghae asks, his eyes wide with hope.

"I really wish I could," Siwon says, immediately shattering Donghae's hope. "I'm sorry," he apologizes, frowning and hugging his friend at his side. "But I know you guys made it," he assures them, hugging Donghae quickly before walking away.

"Wow, you two are really close," Hyukjae points out.

Donghae smiles, still a bit sad. "Yeah. He understands me... he doesn't judge me."

Hyukjae suddenly sympathizes with him. He knows that not many people must want to deal with Donghae's childish ways, but Siwon obviously did, and with a smile.

"Hey, I think they're almost done with auditions," Hyukjae says, trying to brighten the mood. "The last guy just came out."

"He looks kind of disappointed," Donghae notes.

"We'll see, won't we?" Hyukjae says, smiling. After fifteen more minutes, the helper walks out, a paper in his hand. He quickly posts it on the board then leaves back into the room in a hurry. He seems to have known that there would be a crowd of sweaty guys coming towards him quickly if he hadn't left.

Hyukjae, being taller than Donghae by a couple of inches, tries tiptoeing to see past all of the other heads. He spots what looks like his name, then Donghae's. Grinning widely, he turns to Donghae. Donghae, understanding his smile, starts smiling as well.

"We made it?" he asks eagerly.

"Do you even have to ask?" Hyukjae says, refraining from rolling his eyes as to not ruin the happy moment.

Donghae, caught up in the moment, wraps Hyukjae in a big hug. Hyukjae, just as ectstatic, hugs him back tightly. When they finally realize how close they are - and how hot it is - they pull away, still grinning.

"Now we just have to knock out some more people in the second round, and we're in," Hyukjae says with a grin.

Donghae nods. Hyukjae goes to change, but Donghae sits there for a little while longer. It's been too long so he can't blame his sweat on dancing. He's sure his heart is beating faster because of the excitement. Yeah, that must be it. What else could explain the sudden perspiration and rapid heartbeat?

------

A/N: I kind of dreaded writing this chapter, the reason being that I pretty much at descriptions. Seriously. Especially clothing description, dance description... it really . Therefore, I sincerely apologize for the crappiness of this chapter, especially the dance part. Like I said, imagine their "I Wanna Love You" dance. Without the girl. So... instead of the parts where there is a girl, imagine them dancing? I don't even know... Or imagine them when they danced without a girl, that one time, because that'd better match [link here if you don't know what I'm talking about, or just wanna see them dance], even though they weren't as organized that time, due to obvious reasons... meh. Again, sorry! Hope you enjoyed everything else though! Thanks for reading :)

Who else enjoyed the cheesiness of the line, "when the music started, so did the magic"? Haha, so cheesy... so, so very cheesy. I just can't get over that... /facepalm