Chapter Eight

It Slips Through Your Fingers

Week pass by. Hyukjae alternates between practicing for the festival and dance class with Donghae, all the while hanging out with Sungmin when they have the time. He barely sees Junsu, though, and it saddens him, but he knows that his best friend must be busy.

Then it's time to audition for the festival.

"Monkey!" Donghae screams from the end of the hallway, causing people to glance at his direction and wonder who he's talking to. Hyukjae flushes at the public announcement of his nickname and tries to run away before Donghae can catch up, but fails as Donghae is running full-speed towards him, pouncing on him when he reaches him. "Were you trying to get away?" he teases, smiling widely.

Hyukjae shrugs him off, frowning. "Why are you always so loud? Don't you have an indoor voice?"

Donghae blinks, as if the whole concept is new to him, which it probably is.

"Right..." Hyukjae mutters. "You're a kid. My bad."

Donghae smiles and says, "Anyway, the auditions are tomorrow! Tomorrow!" He grabs Hyukjae's shoulders and starts shaking him with excitement, making Hyukjae's hair bounce everywhere.

"Gah, stop that," he exclaims, pulling free and fixing his hair.

"I was thinking we could get matching outfits - you know, double our chances of getting accepted," Donghae says, pure anticipation lacing his words. Hyukjae can't help but smile at Donghae's attitude that resembles a child who's birthday is the next day. "We should go shopping!" he suddenly exclaims.

"But today's a school day and -"

"Come on," Donghae whines, tugging on Hyukjae's arm. "It'll only take an hour." Hyukjae seems unsure, trying to look away. He knows what's going to come next. "Please?" he asks, looking at Hyukjae with wide, puppy-dog eyes and a pout on his lips. Hyukjae refuses to look at Donghae. "Hey! Look at me!" he snaps, pulling Hyukjae's face so he could see his expression.

Hyukjae groans, caving in. "Fine, fine. Only an hour though, because -"

...

" - I have to get back to my mom!" Hyukjae complains, slouching as he walks to their fourth store. "She's going to kill me if I'm any later." Donghae ignores him and continues ruffling through the racks, looking for something for the both of them to wear. "You said it'd only take an hour."

"How was I supposed to know that the stores would carry ugly clothing?" Donghae asks.

Hyukjae can only sigh. "What are we even looking for anyway? What style do you want to wear?"

"I'm thinking dressed up, but not too dressed up, you know?" he explains.

Hyukjae blinks. "Uh, I guess." He starts to scan through the racks and picks out a dark button up shirt. "Like this?" he asks, raising it up so Donghae could see.

"So you do have taste," he says, smiling. He walks over and examines the shirt. "Not bad. Kind of simple, but not bad."

"Try it on," Hyukjae says, throwing it to him.

"Don't you want to wear it?" he asks, confused.

"I don't think it'll look good on me as it would you," he admits with a shrug. He has no idea how happy that comment made Donghae. "Seriously, just go try it on. And..." he looks over and grabs a pair of dark pants. "Try it with this."

Donghae smiles and agrees, walking over to the changing room. Hyukjae stays put, leaning against a wall. He really wishes they could have stopped by home to put their bags away though.

When Donghae comes out, he says, "I look good, don't I?"

Hyukjae snorts but looks at Donghae, scanning him up and down. He has to admit to himself that he did a fine job picking out clothes, because they fit Donghae perfectly. He mentally gives himself a pat on the back. "Yeah, looks great. Can we go now?" he asks with a sigh.

Donghae shakes his head dilligently. "Of course not! We haven't found your outfit next!"

"But -"

"There's one more store," Donghae assures him. "I'll just buy this then we can go." He hurries back to the changing room.

"That's what he said two stores ago," Hyukjae mutters.

After Donghae buys his clothing, he rushes Hyukjae to the next store that is just across the street. It seems to Hyukjae that Donghae already knows what he's looking for, because he zooms straight to one of the racks as soon as they get there. He pulls out a light gray jacket with dark, round buttons on both sides and gives it to Eunhyuk, along with some pants that look very similar to the ones he bought at the last store.

"How'd you..." he starts asking, confused.

"Oh, I saw this the other day and I knew it'd look great," he admits.

Hyukjae blinks. "Then why didn't we come here first?"

Donghae smiles. "What fun is that?" he asks. Hyukjae is about to glare at him, but Donghae just pushes him towards the changing room. "Come out when you're done so I can see!"

Hyukjae changes quickly and comes out. Because Donghae only gave him a jacket, he's forced to wear a wifebeater beneath, which clashed with how formal the outfit is supposed to look.

"I don't like your wifebeater," Donghae deadpans when Hyukjae steps out.

"You didn't give me a shirt -"

"Take it off," Donghae instructs.

"Wait, what?" Hyukjae asks, his eyes widening. "No! We're in the middle of a store and -"

"You're a guy, Eunhyuk," Donghae says, rolling his eyes. "Don't be such a wuss."

Hyukjae frowns but does as Donghae asks. When he's done, he feels a breeze of cold air, making him shiver a little. Donghae is just looking at him, obviously enjoying the view.

"It looks good," he finally says, smiling. "It's good you have muscles, or else it wouldn't be as flattering," he teases.

Hyukjae grumbles under his breath and goes back to change out of the clothing. He moves to pay but Donghae immediately gets in the way, paying with his credit card.

"Hey!" he yells, glaring at Donghae's back. "What are you doing? I have money, you know." He moves to push Donghae, but Donghae stands firm.

When the cashier hands Donghae the reciept, he immediately puts it in his back pocket. Before Hyukjae could take the bag, Donghae grabs it and ruffles through it, pulling off the paper tag. Then, he hands it back to Hyukjae and smiles innocently, as if the whole ordeal never happened.

"What was that?" Hyukjae demands.

"Nothing," Donghae answers. Before Hyukjae could open his mouth to argue, Donghae says, "I've got to go now. See you tomorrow, Monkey, and don't forget to bring your clothing. Auditions are right after school!" Donghae quickly walks the other way, leaving Hyukjae to just glare at his back.

"He's still weird," Hyukjae mutters, slowly walking the other way. But he knows that he likes this weird much better than the earlier weird.

--------

A/N: I guess I'm kind of going with their song, "I Wanna Love You", at least the outfit portion. Those outfits look great on them, so I think it'd work. And since I lack the imagination to come up with a new song/dance, might as well make that dance this dance as well. Super unoriginal, which I apologize for, but I seriously don't know much about dancing. Hope you enjoy this update! Now I am off to face the evils that are SAT-prep classes... gr. Thanks for reading :)