Chapter Five

It Slips Through Your Fingers

The next day, Hyukjae goes through classes like normal. He almost manages to get down the whole first part of the dance, and plans to wait for Donghae to help him get down the last part. But he doesn’t show up, so he leaves, a bit disappointed. He really wants to get the whole thing down so he could focus more on practicing than on the moves themselves.

“You’d think he’d be there after offering to help,” Hyukjae mutters to himself, readjusting his bag as he exits the bathroom, changed out of his clothes. As he leaves, he runs into a student who immediately apologizes and runs in the opposite direction. He doesn’t think twice about it before walking off to lunch.

Later in the day, Hyukjae plans to return to the dance studio to hopefully practice more. As he does, he runs into a stunning sight.

Donghae in Siwon’s arm, their faces ridiculously close. Too close for comfort, even.

Stunned, he stumbles into the next room he finds and shuts the door behind him quickly but quietly. His eyes are wide with shock, and he’s too busy listening to hear if they heard him that he doesn’t notice that there’s another person in the room he stumbled into.

The computer lab.

The other person doesn’t seem to have noticed either though, as he is deeply interested in whatever is on his screen. Hyukjae, not knowing what else to do, moves closer to see the person. He recognizes him as the person who ran into him earlier that day, in a rush. He guesses he knows why now.

“What’s that?” he asks.

The person doesn’t even glance his way. He keeps shooting things on the screen, and Hyukjae just contends to watching. He figures it’s better than watching two guys make-out outside. Finally, when the other boy seems to have finish that level, he turns around and is startled by Hyukjae.

“Wha-?” he stammers, stumbling back. “What are you doing here?”

“Oh, I was just hiding here as two guys made-out in the hallway,” Hyukjae says nonchalantly.

Kyuhyun snorts and says, “You should be used to that by now.”

Hyukjae mutters, “Not when it’s people you know.”

Kyuhyun takes off his headset and runs a hand through his curly brown hair. “Who were they?” he asks curiously.

“Siwon and Donghae,” he replies, taking a seat beside Kyuhyun.

This causes Kyuhyun to laugh, which makes Hyukjae uncomfortable and confused. He hates getting left out of jokes. “What?” he demands.

“Siwon isn’t gay,” Kyuhyun deadpans. “He’s just really into skinship, honestly. They probably weren’t making out. Those two are close – they act all weird and lovey-dovey all the time. He never means it though.”

“But Donghae does?” Hyukjae asks. He realizes that everyone has said that Siwon’s straight, but have never said anything about Donghae.

"Actually, a lot of thought Donghae liked Siwon," Kyuhyun admits. Seeing Hyukjae's stare, he nods and continues, "Yeah, as in like, like."

"He's gay?" Hyukjae stammers. He knows that Sungmin often teases Donghae of liking Hyukjae when they were kids, but he always brushed that aside. He honestly did not think Donghae went for guys.

"I guess," Kyuhyun says with a shrug. "But he's actually never said. We're just guessing. He's never had a boyfriend or anything, or any that he's told us about, anyway."

Hyukjae nods, soaking in the information, when he finally asks, "Wait. How do you know so much if you're just a computer nerd?"

Kyuhyun's lip purse when he replies, "I'm not a nerd; I just like Starcraft. Besides, I used to sit with those two all the time. I think I would know."

Hyukjae raises an eyebrow, and vaguely remembers Ryeowook saying something about a boy who used to sit with them before resorting to staying in the computer room during lunch. He guesses this is him. "You're Kyuhyun, aren't you?"

Kyuhyun looks up and replies, "How did you know?"

"Ryeowook told me about you." 

"Ah, right..." he says, smirking. "And who are you?"

"Hyukjae, but I'm trying to go by -"

"Eunhyuk, right?" Kyuhyun cuts him off. Hyukjae nods and gives him a questioning look. "You're one of the newer students, along with that other boy... Sungmin?"

Hyukjae nods again. "He's my best friend."

"Yeah, he's a pretty good singer. We're in the same fourth period," he explains. "He seemed kind of odd though, when I was talking to him. Wouldn't stop staring at my lips."

Hyukjae laughs. "He can be pretty weird."

"Well, nice meeting you, Eunhyuk, but I've got one more level to unlock before going home. See you around," he says before putting his headset back on and turning to the computer. Hyukjae says goodbye, but Kyuhyun doesn't hear it. He's too busy shooting things.

Hyukjae sticks his head out of the door to check if the coast is clear. When it is, he decides to head home instead of to the dance room. He's not really in the mood to dance anymore.

-------

A/N: The more I think about it, the more I realize I could've gone without this chapter. -.-" Seriously. But... I'm not going to delete this, since I'm hoping it will benefit somewhere in the future, somehow. But the next chapter, most definitely, will begin the actual Eunhae development. I'm just getting past some rough patches. Thanks for reading :) Hope you enjoyed!