Chapter Three

It Slips Through Your Fingers

When Hyukjae finds Sungmin after rushing out the studio door, he's surprised he isn't alone. Instead, he seems to be chatting with the sophomore they met earlier, Ryeowook.

"So that's his name, huh?" Sungmin ponders to Ryeowook when Hyukjae approaches.

"Whose name?" he asks, raising an eyebrow at his friend.

"Oh," Sungmin says, startled as he turns to face his friend. "There you are! Why are you so late? I was waiting here for five minutes when Ryeowook passed by. Lucky for you, or I would have left," he teases, poking Hyukjae's arm.

Hyukjae smiled sheepishly. "Sorry. Time flew in dance class, and I didn't even know it was lunch time."

Sungmin rolls his eyes while Ryeowook stares at him curiously. "You honestly lost track of time? Before lunch?" Ryeowook asks, surprised. "Most of the time, people can't wait to go to lunch."

"Don't be mistaken, Ryeowook," Sungmin assures him. "Hyukkie here loves his food, but just as much, he loves to dance." Laughing softly, he makes his way down the stairs, Hyukjae following.

"Yeah. Turns out Donghae's in the class after mine," Hyukjae says. "I didn't know he was a dancer."

"He's in my singing class, too," Sungmin says. "Was he in the studio?" Hyukjae nods. "That explains why he dashed off after class so quickly," he muses. "So, did you two spend some quality time?" Sungmin suggests, elbowing his friend who just smacked his arm away.

"You're so weird sometimes," he mutters, ruffling his dark hair with his hand. "He reminded me of the time, that's all. Obviously I ran out of there and that's why I'm still wearing these sweaty dance clothes." Sungmin looks down and notices the outfit finally. His nose crinkles in distaste.

"That explains the smell," he says. "Go change. Ryeowook says we can sit with him during lunch. They sit over by the tree just out there." He points in the direction of a big oak.

"Oh, I was hoping we could sit with Junsu though," he admits, frowning.

"Apparently each building has a different lunch time. Ryeowook says their lunch is after ours," Sungmin explains. "I wanted to sit with him, too, though." 

A little disappointed, Hyukjae nods and wanders back to the building to change. When he gets there, he sees the boy from earlier, Siwon. He's washing his hands and looks up to see Hyukjae in the mirror.

"Hello," he says, smiling immediately. "I'm Siwon."

"Eunhyuk," Hyukjae replies, returning the smile uneasily.

"You know Donghae, right?" he continues.

"Kind of," Hyukjae responds slowly. "We were in the same class fifth grade, but that's about it." 

"Were you two friends?"

"Not really," he admits. "But I wasn't mean to him like everyone else." Despite not totally liking Donghae back then, Hyukjae could never bring himself to bully Donghae like everyone else. He pitied the kid, but at the same time, didn't want to get bullied for being his friend. Usually, he tried to steer clear of him... except for that one time.

"I see," Siwon says, nodding. Hyukjae stares at him curiously but Siwon just continues smiling. "It's just that he seemed to know you, that's all." He wipes his hand on a paper towel then opens the door, pausing to say, "It was nice talking to you, Eunhyuk. Hopefully we can be friends." Then he leaves.

Hyukjae hurries into a stall and changes out of his sweaty clothes. He goes back outside and finds the oak, and walks over to it. There sits Sungmin and Ryeowook, along with some other familiar and unfamiliar faces.

"Eunhyuk!" Shindong says. "Didn't expect to see you sitting with us. I wasn't even sure if you were going to leave the dance room at all! You seemed so focus, it was almost scary."

"Yeah," Hyukjae responds with a smile.

"I guess you know Shindong," Ryeowook says, smiling. "Over there is Kibum." He points to a boy who is leaning against the tree, quietly eating as he listens to his iPod. "He's kind of quiet, but he's pretty nice and funny."

"We used to have more people in our group," Ryeowook admits. "But some graduated, and others simply made other friends."

"Yeah, like Kangin. He was originally a part of our group, but after Leeteuk graduated, he left."

"The group?"

"No, he literally left. He transfered out. He said he was never a really big show-guy anyway," Shindong says with a shrug. "We miss him, of course. He had a fun, though sometimes violent, sense of humor."

"There was also Kyuhyun, but he hangs out in the computer lab these days, playing some game," Ryeowook says. "He's been like that since he got into a car accident." Sungmin's eyes widen but he doesn't say anything.

"Oh, and then there's Siwon and Donghae. They were a big part of this group, actually, but they were more close to each other than anyone else. Those two, though, are major social butterflies. They get along with virtually everyone. They still visit from time to time, but they walk around a lot."

Hyukjae is surprised to hear this. It seems so contradicting to the Donghae he once knew...

"Here they come now," Ryeowook says, matter-of-factly. Siwon comes over and gives Ryeowook a big hug. He then proceeds to give on to Shindong, then Kibum, who at first fights but eventually gives in. Donghae just stands there and smiles, watching. His eyes roam the group and finally lands on Hyukjae.

"You're Wookie's friend?" he asks both Hyukjae and Sungmin, although he's staring at Hyukjae.

"Yep," Ryeowook replies in place of Hyukjae. "I told them all about Siwon when they asked, and immediately dragged them into our group. We were low on members anyway," he jokes, smiling. Still, Donghae can tell Ryeowook is disappointed at the fact that most of his friends had left, either figuratively or literally.

He's about to say sorry when Siwon walks over to him and starts talking. "We saw Kyuhyun earlier, but he wouldn't even glance at us," he laughs. "Kid is way too interested in those games of his."

"Yep," Donghae agrees, smiling. "Oh," he suddenly says, going through his bag and fishing out something. "You forgot your beanie, Hyukjae. Just thought you might want it back." He tosses Hyukjae the hat, who grabs it and sends him a thankful glance. 

"We'll see you guys around, 'kay?" Siwon says. "Bye everyone!" The two leave, Siwon's arm around Donghae's shoulder comfortably.

The next think Hyukjae says he isn't really aware of. He blurts it out without thinking.

"Are those two dating?"

----

A/N: So I just realized I forgot Henry and Zhou Mi D: GR. I don't know why I even forgot about them -.-" I guess I was too busy looking at Super Junior's Wikipedia page, and since they're not on there... I forgot. Oh well. Maybe I'll add them...? I wonder where they'd fit though, because I don't like juggling too many characters either. And Henry wouldn't be in high school yet, either, anyway, since he's younger than Kyuhyun. GR. Sorry fans of Henry and Zhou Mi! I really do love those two, but I don't want to cause any hassle during the writing process. Perhaps in another story? Also, I'm taking Kangin out of this story -.-" Mostly because I'm a fan of KangTeuk, and without Leeteuk, I kind of don't know what to do with his character...? /sob I love him, too! Sorry...

Other than those setbacks, not much else to talk about. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed :)