Chapter Sixteen

It Slips Through Your Fingers

Hyukjae doesn't remember his dreams often, like most people. Maybe it's because he's just so tired, and he was so deep in his sleep that he was able to remember this dream - or rather, a memory inside of a dream. Although, in all honesty, he wishes he hadn't.

They're children again, playing during recess. Hyukjae, Sungmin, and Junsu are all together when a fight breaks out on the field. Kids crowd towards the group of boys. Two in particular are talking - one with a grass stain on his uniform, steaming, and the other apologizing profusely, scared. The one with the stain is yelling, his face red with anger, and he pushes the other kid to the ground.

No one cares though. It's Donghae, the weird kid, the kid who always smiles, the kid who always cries. If you cared, then you were just as weird as him. Kids stand around, some pitying him, others urging a fight. The teachers and staff members are too far away to see what's going on, and everyone is helpless. Hyukjae wants to leave so badly, but Sungmin's stuck to where he is, shocked, and Junsu can't seem to look away.

Then they can hear punches and hits, screaming and kicks. A sharp cry for help bring Hyukjae over the edge, and he throws himself into the bunch, pulling Donghae out. The kid who started it glares at Hyukjae, his eyes threatening, but Junsu finally steps in, Sungmin following. No one messes with him afterwards - they all know Junsu is tough from soccer, and Sungmin is skilled as martial arts. The crowd disperses, murmurs everywhere. Hyukjae ignores them as he drags Donghae to the teachers, who usher him to the nurse's office.

Hyukjae doesn't like to think about that day. Afterwards, he tried his best to avoid Donghae and the others involved with the fight. He didn't talk about it that moment, and his friends didn't bring it up.

So why can't Hyukjae simply forget about the tears that stained his shirt that day? That's all he really wants to do.

The refreshed memory makes Hyukjae uneasy, and it shows during practice. While they're packing up, Donghae asks, concerned, "What's wrong? You seem out of it."

Hyukjae shakes his head, slinging his bag over his shoulder. "It's nothing," he lies. "I'll see you tomorrow." He opens the door and leaves promptly, Donghae watching with sad, curious eyes before leaving himself.

Usually, Siwon would wait, because he gets out of Bible study around that time. But this time, Siwon's not there, and Donghae has to walk home alone. He has his earphones in, humming along to his music, when he runs into a group of people he hoped he would never see again.

"Lee Donghae," he says, his voice deeper than Donghae remembers. "It's been a long time. We all thought you went back to whatever planet you came from, but I guess you're still here. You look the same, even. That's creepy." But you don't, Donghae thinks, but doesn't say. He's shocked speechless. The boy who beat him up years ago aged, and his looks became even harsher, in Donghae's opinion. He wants to run, but he knows they'll catch him.

"You don't have your bodyguard with you," he continues mockingly. Donghae assumes they mean Siwon, who must look pretty intimidating with all of his muscles. "No one to save you this time." He pauses, smirking. "You know, my mom was outrageous over the fact that I stained my school uniform that day. I told her wasn't my fault... it was yours. It always is." It's a long grudge, and Donghae finds it ridiculous, even though he's scared.

He has muscles, and he's no longer a weak boy. But there are so many of them, and only one of him. He could never take them all alone. Maybe I can just curl up into a ball in defense, he thinks. But he's tired of running - that's all he did. For once, he wants to stand up for himself, with no one else there to protect him.

"It's time to take the blame," the boys says, moving closer. "Don't you think, Donghae?"

"No," Donghae replies, strength in his voice now.

The boy blinks. "Excuse me?" he asks, his voice becoming even deeper than Donghae thought possible. He raises a fist, but before he can strike, Donghae does. The boy goes flying back a couple of feet from the blow on the chest, and his friends, shocked, start moving forward to help. "You bastard!" he screams.

Donghae struggles as the boy's group of friends grab him, some holding him down while others punch and kick. He wants to fight back, but now he wishes he hadn't even tried. It just resulted in more pain, it seemed. All he can do his bite down on his lip and hope he doesn't cry - he can't give them that satisfaction.

Right when he could feel another punch go into him, he's pulled away harshly. In front of him is Hyukjae, and suddenly he feels as if he's dreaming again. It must be - everything is much too similar. Beside Hyukjae is Sungmin, glaring at the other guys. Donghae wants to say something, but after so many hits to the gut, he can't.

"Still defending him," the boy snarls, glaring at them. "Do you really think you can take us all on? Even with Sungmin?"

Sungmin starts prepping himself, and Hyukjae stays silent. The boy laughs and says, "I thought so," and is about to move forward when someone else speaks up.

"And me." Hyukjae recognizes the voice, but he has never heard him sound so grim and... dangerous. Siwon is suddenly there beside them, his muscles even more intimidating before. "Who are you?" Siwon asks, his voice scary low.

"It's the bodyguard..." the boy says, raising an eyebrow.

"Why are you beating up my Donghae?" Siwon continues to ask.

"Your Donghae?" the boy snorts, smirking. "I should've known he was ga -" 

Siwon stares, a little shocked, and Sungmin is right beside him. Hyukjae - passive Hyukjae - had punched the boy straight in the face, his knuckles white. Grumbling, he moves over to Donghae and props him up like he did all of those years before. Siwon watches before rushing to help, and Sungmin sends one more glare at the group of boys before following.

"What happened?" Siwon asks quietly. Hyukjae just shrugs, his facial expression still stoic.

Sungmin answers, "We got there just a little before you did."

Siwon frowns, then turns to Donghae, who is struggling to keep his eyes open. He just wants to sleep now, and it's so comforting to be in the arms of those who actually care for you. "It's okay," Siwon says soothingly. "You can sleep; you're safe."

Donghae, with a soft smile, finally falls into the arms of slumber.

-----

A/N: Finally, I refer to their past a little more, and add a little action. I was going to make Donghae a giver-upper, but then I was like, "Would Donghae do that in real life?" 'Cause I don't think so. Anyway... and yeah. I don't have much left to add, except that this may seem random... but there's a reason for it! Eventually, it shall be revealed. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed.