Chapter Twenty-Three

It Slips Through Your Fingers

“I’m sorry!” Hyukjae repeats for the fifth time, his arm still locked behind him by Sungmin. “Minnie! I didn’t know he was –“

“What are you doing?”

Sungmin stops, his eyes widening. He doesn’t turn his head to look to see who it is – he knows from the voice. Instead, he twists Hyukjae’s arm a little harder and lets go afterwards. Hyukjae rubs his arms achingly, frowning at Sungmin.

“For a small guy, you seem really dangerous,” Kyuhyun notes, smirking. “I like that,” he says, walking off after that.

Sungmin stares after him, and Hyukjae just grins.

“Stop drooling,” he says.

Sungmin smacks his arm with a glare. “Shut up,” he mutters.

“Don’t think too much of it,” Hyukjae warns, worrying for his friend. He doesn’t want to see him hurt. “Kyuhyun is just like that. He’s… hmm, I guess evil really does best describe him. But a playful evil. He’s just joking with you.”

Sungmin nods, sighing. “I know,” he says. “I know… Let’s just go before I break your arm.” He trudges over to their spot, Hyukjae following cautiously. When he catches the sight of Donghae, currently sitting with Kibum and talking, he slows his pace down.

“Hurry up, Hyukkie,” Sungmin snaps, glaring at him as he sits down. “Honestly, you are walking way too slowly. Just get over here.” He pats to the spot beside him and Hyukjae eyes it warily before finally sitting down. He takes in a deep breath when he realizes Donghae hasn’t noticed yet.

Opening up his carton of strawberry milk, he takes a sip. As he’s setting a down, a hand reaches out and takes it. Hyukjae frowns and looks up, ready to snap at whoever dared to take his drink, but his words die in his throat when he sees Donghae’s smiling face.

“Stop drooling,” Sungmin whispers, leaning over to Hyukjae, smirking. Hyukjae elbows him and Sungmin just laughs, pulling away.

“When did you get over here?” Hyukjae asks, frowning. He honestly didn’t even hear Donghae approaching.

After taking a sip of the milk and setting it down, he replies, “Just a second ago. Your milk lured me in.” He smiles brightly and Hyukjae can’t help but reciprocate it. He doesn’t know what about Donghae is just so… addicting.

“Buy your own,” Hyukjae says, taking his back and taking another sip. Soon after, Donghae takes another sip. “Hey!”

“Yours tastes better,” Donghae replies cheekily.

Sungmin holds back his laughter and Hyukjae just flushes, running a hand through his hair, frustrated, although he doesn’t know why. “Yeah…” he says awkwardly, taking a bite of his food and chewing it slowly. “Are we going to practice today?” he asks, hoping to change the subject.

Donghae loses his smile temporarily and shakes his head. “Sorry, but I can’t. Siwon and I have something to do.”

That really should not have bothered Hyukjae at all, and yet it did. “Right… that’s fine,” he mumbles, putting his head down and picking at his food.

“Stop acting so weird!” Kyuhyun finally snaps, staring at Hyukjae. “You’re acting like a schoolgirl, Eunhyuk.”

“Shut up, freshman!” Hyukjae yells, glaring at Kyuhyun. Seriously, what did Sungmin see in this guy? “Don’t forget who’s older.”

“Wouldn’t be surprised if I did, with you acting like this,” Kyuhyun mutters. “Honestly, I thought you were straight.”

Hyukjae flushes. “What does that mean?” he asks, his voice suddenly low. Donghae watches the conversation curiously but silently.

“I mean, stop –“

Sungmin clasps his hand over Kyuhyun’s mouth quickly, causing the latter’s eyes to widen in surprise and look at the older boy. “Don’t be rude,” he scolds quietly. He leans over and whispers, “Let him figure things out himself. He gets easily embarrassed about these things, and you saying all of this isn’t helping him.” He takes his hand away and stares at Kyuhyun, his eyes warning the younger boy.

“Fine,” Kyuhyun sighs. “But if he takes too long –“

“I won’t let it take too long,” Sungmin reassures him.

Hyukjae and Donghae are just staring at the two, confused.  “What are you two talking about?” Hyukjae asks, scrutinizing the two cautiously. He figures they’re up to something, and he’s not sure if he wants to know.

“Singing stuff,” Sungmin replies nonchalantly. “Carry on with your jealous act,” he says. Kyuhyun stares at Sungmin, his eyes asking why Sungmin is allowed to tease and he can’t, and Sungmin simply mouths, ‘Best friend privileges.’

Hyukjae glares at Sungmin and Donghae just sits there, not knowing what to say or how to react. “What’s there to be jealous about?” he finally asks.

“Nothing!” Hyukjae replies quickly. “They’re just being jerks. Honestly, it’s nothing. We can practice tomorrow.” Donghae fidgets in his spot, and Hyukjae’s frown deepens. “Unless you have plans with Siwon again,” he deadpans.

Donghae smiles sheepishly. “We just have to do something. We’re very close.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Hyukjae mutters, taking a bite out of his food again.

Donghae frowns now, not understanding what is wrong. “I’m not saying you’re not close to me,” he tries correcting quickly. “It’s just that I’m closer to Siwon, and we have things planned, and –“

“It’s fine,” Hyukjae interrupts, his voice cold. “Really.”

It doesn’t sound like it, Donghae thinks but doesn’t say. There’s no use fueling an already burning fire. “Actually, I’ve been meaning to ask you something,” he says, hoping to enlighten the situation. Hyukjae’s head tilts up a bit but he’s still not looking at Donghae, which disappoints the younger boy. “My brother is getting married, and he said I can invite a friend or two. Do you want to come?” He smiles nervously at Hyukjae, who is still looking down.

Sungmin is smiling as if Donghae just said a big secret and Kyuhyun is even grinning a bit. Hyukjae is still surprised that he was invited to his friend’s brother’s wedding – isn’t that something that really close friends are invited to? He mumbles, “Okay.” He doesn’t have to look up to know that Donghae’s grinning like a fool.

Lucky him, for the bell rings then. He quickly packs up and throws his trash away, making his way to his next class. Donghae hasn’t seen him so excited to get to class before, and neither has anyone else.

------

A/N: This was another hard chapter to get out -.-" I honestly had no idea how I wanted to start this one, so this blurb came out. At first, I wasn't gonna add the wedding part (it was gonna come later), but I decided that without it, this would be a very boring, useless chapter. Very. So there it is. I hope I can get another chapter out tonight again, because I don't know when I can go on again soon. OH, and I'm listening to U-Kiss' "Someday" --> Anyone going through a hard time has got to listen to this beautiful song! Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!