Chapter Twenty-One

It Slips Through Your Fingers

The next week at school, things are settling down. Donghae has made a habit of sitting with Hyukjae at lunch now, and the two would talk about random things. Kyuhyun would pipe in every now and then to correct them or just comment on something, and Sungmin would listen with an amused expression.

Hyukjae and Donghae continue to practice together every now and then, but for their class now. Hyukjae laughs whenever Donghae wouldn’t get a step and pouts, then he’d show Donghae how to do it correctly. Donghae would then pout even more and whine, “I’m supposed to be the tutor!”, which would cause Hyukjae to laugh even more.

A couple of more weeks pass by, eventless and repetitive. In time, Sungmin finds himself more comfortable with Kyuhyun, though, and the two become friends eventually. Sungmin does his best to ignore his feelings, and it’s becoming easier and easier, it seems.

It’s a lazy Tuesday afternoon and Donghae and Hyukjae are too tired to continue practicing. They lay in the room, staring at the ceiling, bored out of their minds. They know they should go home, but part of them just wants to stay and enjoy each other’s company. They’ve gotten too used to each other by now.

“Would you buy me food if I asked?” Donghae asks, his arm over his eyes to shield himself from the lights.

“You’re hungry?” Hyukjae mumbles back.

“Kind of,” Donghae admits. “And I forgot my wallet.” He glances over at Hyukjae, whose eyes are tightly closed. “Well? Will you?” he asks expectantly.

“I don’t even pay for Sungmin when he asks,” Hyukjae says grudgingly. Donghae frowns, but is immediately cheered up at what Hyukjae says next. “But I guess I’ll pay, just this time.” He looks over at Donghae tiredly. “You better not getting anything expensive, though; I’m warning you. Or else I will leave you with the bill.”

Donghae smiles and stands up immediately, apparently regaining strength from Hyukjae’s words. “No you won’t,” he laughs. “But I won’t order anything expensive. Now let’s go!” He grabs his bag and slings it around his shoulder, then watches as Hyukjae lazily stands up. “Hurry up, before I get old like you.” Hyukjae sends him a glare but grabs his bag and drags it across the floor as he walks.

As the two walk, one slowly and the other with newfound energy, Hyukjae asks, “Where do you want to eat, anyway?”

Donghae shrugs. “Anything is fine, really.”

“Then how about we just go get something from a food cart?” Hyukjae offers, smiling slightly at the thought of saving money.

Donghae blinks. “No.”

Hyukjae frowns. “Why? It’s cheap and fast. Perfect, really.”

Still, Donghae doesn’t budge. “Let’s go get some real food!”

“Street food is real,” Hyukjae argues. “Real and cheap.”

Donghae sighs. “You’re a real penny pincher, you know.”

“I could always take you home and you can just eat there,” Hyukjae tells him. “Besides, I’m not even that hungry.”

Rolling his eyes, Donghae replies, “You’re not hungry? Aren’t you always hungry? You eat a lot during lunch.”

“Exactly, and it sustains me until dinner. My mom will kill me for ruining my appetite,” Hyukjae whines. This is kind of a lie, though. His mother doesn’t care if he eats out with friends – he does it all of the time with Sungmin, but at least Sungmin pays for his food.

“Fine,” Donghae huffs. “We’ll get street food.”

The two walk towards the busy street, full of men in suits and women selling things from knick knacks to small snacks. Hyukjae is slightly annoyed at how Donghae acts like a tourist as they enter the crowded street, swarming to the vendors, an amazed look on his boyish face. Hyukjae wonders if he ever really goes out.

“Stop wandering off,” Hyukjae snaps, pulling Donghae by the shirt to keep him from running away again. “Honestly, why are you so amazed?”

Donghae shrugs. “I just really like city life. It’ll never cease to amaze me.”

Hyukjae sighs. “You’re odd, you know, Donghae.”

“It’s better than being boring,” Donghae points out. “Hey! That smells good!” He points to a vendor on the other side of the road. “Let’s go there.” He looks around and spots a cart selling cakes and waffles. “And let’s go there for dessert!”

Hyukjae frowns. “I don’t kn-“

But before he can finish, Donghae is dragging him down towards the first vendor. Hyukjae order some meat for the two – that’s all the man really sells, apparently – and they are handed kabobs. Donghae complains that this isn’t enough to fill him enough, but Hyukjae just glares at him and Donghae shuts up. He figures he’ll just eat more at home.

“You know,” Donghae says between bites. “This isn’t too bad.” He yanks some more meat off of the stick and chews. “We should do this more often.”

Hyukjae looks at Donghae blankly. “You’re paying next time.”

Donghae smiles sweetly. “Okay.”

Hyukjae stares at Donghae for a moment, the smile playing on his lips mesmerizing. Hyukjae wonders why he never noticed before. But he immediately snaps out of it when Donghae is gesturing to a small store at the end of the street.

“Let’s get something to drink,” Donghae says, pulling him again. Hyukjae would protest, but he knows there’s no use. He willingly moves his feet to keep up with Donghae.

When they are inside, Hyukjae is surprised that Junsu is there with his friends. He hopes he can just slip in and out without Junsu seeing them – he doesn’t want him knowing he is with Donghae – but Donghae can’t help but exclaim, “Junsu!” causing Junsu and his friends to look over.

“Hyukjae,” Junsu says, grinning. “And Donghae.” He says the last part with amusement, something playing in his eyes. Hyukjae decides he doesn’t want to know what his best friend is thinking.

“Hey,” Hyukjae says halfheartedly. “I was just getting something to eat with Donghae.”

“He paid for my food,” Donghae chips in, nodding excitedly. Hyukjae turns to glare at Donghae, missing Junsu’s quick snicker.

“Really?” Junsu asks. “That must be something, since Hyukjae won’t even spend over ten dollars on Christmas gifts for his friends, or over a dollar to even buy us a snack when we’re out.”

Hyukjae flushes. “Money is a valuable thing!” he defends.

Junsu laughs. “Obviously, Hyukjae. Well, I’ll see you around.” He walks past Hyukjae, and before he leaves, he whispers, “Have fun on your date.” He leaves quickly after.

Hyukjae pales at the words, then immediately flushes red. Donghae stares at him curiously, then goes to look at the menu. “I think I’ll have the –“

“I have to go,” Hyukjae interrupts, his voice emotionless. Her refuses to look at Donghae, knowing his face was probably a bright red and Donghae would know something is wrong. “Sorry,” he mumbles, immediately leaving the crowded store, leaving Donghae to stare at him, confused.

Sighing, Donghae asks himself, “What did I do now?” then leaves the store quietly, his hands stuffed in his pockets as he makes his way home alone.

-----

A/N: Sorry I took some time this chapter. I had to go registrate for classes Monday. It took over three hours. I don't know why schools change perfectly working systems, because seriously -- that took an unreasonable amount of time. -.-" So annoyed. Anyway, FINALLY HERE IS AN UPDATE :D I'll try to fit in one more tonight. Hope you enjoyed and thanks for redaing :)