Chapter Six

It Slips Through Your Fingers

Days pass, and Hyukjae still doesn’t see much of Donghae after the incident. They’d see each other during first period, but after that, they barely came in contact. Hyukjae ends up passing the first test with flying colors after hard work and determination, and figures that he doesn’t really need Donghae in the end. It might be nice to have a little more practice with someone else, he thinks, but Donghae obviously seems no longer interested in helping.

A week passes by and both Sungmin and Hyukjae feel as if they’ve already settled in to their new school. They’ve found themselves cozy with Ryeowook and his group, and they match well, despite the contrasting personalities in the group.

The following Wednesday, Hyukjae stays in the dance room during lunch to practice on the second half of the dance. It’s more complex in ways, but definitely more fun to Hyukjae. He studies his moves in the mirror, first working slowly then more quickly as he progresses. He hears a door open slowly and shut, but doesn’t turn around to see who it is. He’s too into his work now.

He listens as the stereo is and the music is played. Hyukjae almost frowns as he loses his concentration, but immediately notices the other dancing boy. His moves are smooth, almost as smooth as Hyukjae’s, and he hits all of the parts right. But at some parts, Hyukjae notices that he doesn’t bend his elbow right, or he doesn’t stay in form at others. He’s about to point them out when Donghae speaks.

“Sorry I haven’t been helping you,” he apologizes softly. “I wanted to, but then Siwon had some issues he needed to work out. I couldn’t just leave him.” Hyukjae involuntarily is reminded of the scene he saw a week earlier and immediately tries to shake it out of his thoughts.

“It’s fine,” he says quickly, hoping to quickly move past the subject. “I noticed you had some difficulty following out some moves,” he then continues. “Maybe I could help.”

Donghae smiles awkwardly. “I know,” he admits, rubbing the back of his neck, making Hyukjae realize he shouldn’t have said that so bluntly.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean –“

“It’s okay,” Donghae reassured him. “I mean, after all, that is why I retook this class. It definitely wasn’t to put up with Mister Kim’s yelling again.” Hyukjae smiles in agreement; their teacher was not nice at all. “That’s why I offered to help you. I wanted you to, in return, help me. I know you’re an amazing dancer, anyway.”

“How?” Hyukjae asks, curious.

“We all watch newcomer’s entry videos,” he admits a bit too quickly. But Hyukjae doesn’t take notice. “You know, to see the competition and stuff…”

“Competition?”

Donghae laughs, and Hyukjae realizes he likes the sound. It’s light and melodious, and it makes Hyukjae feel a lot more happier. “This is a school full of kids hoping to become entertainers. Singers, dancers, rappers - you name it, and this school produces them. Only a couple of kids get the chance of actually recording with a company though, and that’s why everyone’s trying their best to get noticed.”

Hyukjae realizes that all of the kiss-up students make sense now.

“In fact, the school’s festival is coming up in a couple of weeks. They choose about ten students for each category – singing, rapping, dancing. Then there’s a mini play thrown by the drama students, and a comedy show for those who are aspiring to be comedians or MCs. It’s really fun,” he gushes, a childlike feature appearing before Hyukjae. He never realized before how innocent Donghae seems all of the time. “It’s considered a big thing to be chosen to perform.”

“How do you get considered?” Hyukjae asks curiously.

“Well, they first choose ten kids from each building. There are about four buildings in total, so then each of the kids have to go against each other. You pretty much just sign up with a teacher that teaches what you want to showcase in – like your dance teacher for dancing – and then show up to an audition. For dancers, they give you a dance to memorize, and expect you to dance something on your own, too.”

“Do they allow pairs?” Hyukjae asks curiously.

“Yeah,” he admits. “But barely any guys go in pairs for any of the groups. Since we aren’t allowed to be partnered with girls during the auditions –“

“Girls? Isn’t this an all-boys school?”

Donghae shakes his head. “The girl part of this school – they take up two and a half of the buildings – is kind of far. They try to keep us separated so we don’t get distracted,” he explains. “Like I was saying, most guys don’t want to pair up with another guy. It’s usually selfish reasons, like not wanting to be brought down or something. They only allow pairs and single performers, too. No groups or anything. So guys don’t really want to dance with just another guy sometimes…

“ And a lot of pairs don’t make it because they don’t synchronize well enough together. The judges aren’t too fond of pairs because they think that one overpowers another’s dancing, or the two just don’t match well enough. Most guys don’t want to take the chance.”

Hyukjae, despite hearing all of this, doesn’t hesitate to ask, “Do you want to be partners then? For the festival?”

Donghae tries to suppress an excited smile. “Sure,” he replies.

Hyukjae’s intentions are pure, though. He’s new, and doesn’t feel completely comfortable with trying out alone when he barely understands the procedure. Besides, Donghae seems friendly enough so that if they don’t make it, he won’t act all mad about it. Also, with Donghae’s experience, he seems like a suitable candidate.

“Thanks,” Hyukjae says, smiling brightly. Donghae smiles upon seeing those gums. It had been a long time since he’d seen Hyukjae smile so widely, so openly. Hyukjae grabs his bag and says, “I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye, Donghae.”

Donghae waves goodbye and watches as Hyukjae leaves. He lets out a laugh of relief - he hoped Hyukjae would at least ask Donghae for his help practicing for the festival, but being asked to be his partner was like a cherished bonus. He continues practicing the dance, a goofy grin on his face the entire time