Chapter Ten

It Slips Through Your Fingers

Hyukjae is walking out of the building when he sees Junsu playing soccer with a couple of other students out on the field. He waves at his best friend, and Junsu comes running over.

"Hey, what are you still doing here?"Junsu asks, smiling. Despite now going to the same school, the two barely see each other.

"I was auditioning for the festival," Hyukjae explains.

"Did you make it?" Junsu asks.

"Yep."

"Wow, congratulations," Junsu says, smiling.

"Yeah, Donghae really helped out a lot," Hyukjae admits.

"Did he audition as well?"

"We auditioned together."

"Really?" Junsu asks, surprised. "And you both made it? As a pair?" Hyukjae nods. "Wow, you two must've been really good then."

Hyukjae beams.

"I made it, too, for my building," Junsu admits. "So I guess we're going to be competing," he teases. Hyukjae laughs a little awkwardly. "Don't worry," Junsu comforts. "It'll be friendly competition."

Hyukjae smiles, a little at ease. He doesn't mind competition at all, but when it's with friends that are dear to him and the stakes a high, it makes him nervous. "Good luck," he says earnestly.

Junsu smiles back at him. "You, too. I'll see you at the second round, then. Bye, Hyukjae," Junsu says, walking off back towards the field. Hyukjae waves his friend off before walking the other way. He plans to stop by Sungmin's house to share the great news with him.

When Hyukjae arrives at Sungmin's house, Sungmin's mother lets him in. Hyukjae wants to just gush out the news right then and there, but decides to wait until Sungmin enters.

"How were the auditions?" Sungmin asks, smiling. He already knows Hyukjae made it from the fact that Hyukjae's smile reaches both ends of his ear, his gums and teeth showing. He goes over to hug Hyukjae who just can't stop smiling. "Congratulations," he says. "That's a really amazing feat."

"Thanks," Hyukjae says.

"What audition?" Sungmin's mother asks, clearly confused. "Sungmin, you didn't tell me Hyukjae was auditioning for something!" she reprimands her son. "Clearly this calls for a celebration," she announces. "I've made some cookies. Would you like some, Hyukjae?"

Hyukjae smiles brightly at Mrs. Lee, but respectfully declines. "I should get back to my mom now. She's probably dying to hear the good news." Mrs. Lee smiles back at him and nods understandingly. "I'll see you Monday, Sungmin. Goodbye, Mrs. Lee." Hyukjae leaves the house and makes his way home.

When Hyukjae returns home, his sister knocks him on the head for being late. But when she hears the good news, she wraps him in a big hug and calls over their parents, who do the same. Hyukjae spends the whole night smiling, and he feels as if his face might just stay that way from smiling too much.

-

The next Monday, Donghae tells Hyukjae that the second rounds will be that Friday. Hyukjae, already even more anxious after the excitement died down over the weekend, asks why it'll be so late.

"It's because the second round tests all of the performers: rappers, dancers, singers," Donghae explains. "And the singers haven't auditioned yet for both schools, so they need to wait."

"What about the drama and all?" Hyukjae asks, briefly remembering something about a play or something. "And the comedians?"

"They have a separate audition," Donghae says. "The play is being put on by the drama club themselves, so the auditions are private and smallers. And anyone can sign up to be a comedian, actually. It's one of the easier festival roles. You just have to get there in time, since there are only ten slots."

Hyukjae blinks. "But what if someone isn't funny?"

Donghae laughs. "Usually boring people don't sign up," he admits. "But when it happens, we just suffer through it. It's kind of embarrassing though, so only people who are really confident end up signing up." Donghae takes a moment to think before saying, "You should've signed up. You know, if you didn't make the dancing part."

Hyukjae stares at Donghae, a blank look on his face. "What do you mean?"

"Well, from what I can remember, you were pretty funny," Donghae says. "You were always able to make the whole class laugh."

"That was a long time ago," Hyukjae says, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

Donghae looks as if he's about to snort but doesn't. Obviously, he doesn't think Hyukjae's funny bone has faded like Hyukjae does. But he doesn't say anything and continues walking down the hallway - well, half skipping, half walking, Hyukjae calls it.

"My friend made it as well," Donghae says suddenly. "His name is Yunho. He's really good... but I think we can beat him." Donghae smiles brightly at Hyukjae, who almost laughs at the younger boy's optimism and sureness.

Hyukjae is about to say something when Siwon suddenly appears at the end of the hallway. He's talking to someone else, but immediately looks up when Donghae approaches. He says a quick goodbye to whoever he was talking to before and makes his way over to Donghae.

"There you are!" he says, smiling at the two of them. "Donghae, I was wondering if you'd like to come to the hospital with me after school." Donghae smiles back at him and nods. "Great! We should go now, before someone takes our spot." He pulls Donghae along, smiling politely at Hyukjae before he walks away. Donghae just shrugs and follows.

Hyukjae tries not to think too much about it. It's lunchtime, he tells himself. It's time to think about food, not Donghae and Siwon and their weird relationship. He walks over to where Sungmin is sitting, talking with Ryeowook lively about the singing part of the festival.

"You made it?" Sungmin asks.

"Auditions are this Wednesday," Ryeowook says, smiling in excitement. "Kyuhyun's auditioning, too, you know?" Sungmin doesn't saying anything, and Ryeowook continues. "His teacher is making him, though. He says he'd rather play Starcraft." Ryeowook rolls his eyes, and Sungmin simply smiles politely.

"Oh, Eunhyuk," Ryeowook says, turning to see Hyukjae. "I heard you passed the dance part! Congratulations! That's really hard, and you made it on your first try!"

"And with a partner," Sungmin adds in, his voice a little suggestive but Hyukjae doesn't notice. He's too busy muching on some strawberries and nodding at what Ryeowook said.

"Wow, really?" Ryeowook asks. "That's really hard! Good job!"

Shindong, who's half-listening, pipes in, "Yeah. I was going to audition, but I already signed up for the comedian part, and they don't let anyone participate in two things."

"You're a comedian?" Hyukjae asks curiously.

"I'm giften with humor," Shindong says, smirking. From a little across from them, Kibum snorts, but continues reading. Shindong throws a marshmallow at him.

"Who was your partner?" Ryeowook asks.

"Donghae," Sungmin answers before Hyukjae.

"Really?" Ryeowook asks, looking even more surprised now. "He took time away from Siwon to practice with you? Wow..."

Hyukjae frowns. "Why is that so weird? Is he always with Siwon or something?"

Ryeowook shrugs. "He is often. Like I said, those two are close." 

Suddenly, a familiar curly, dark haired boy takes a seat next to Ryeowook and across from Sungmin. Ryeowook looks genuinely surprised and asks, "What are you doing here?"

Before Kyuhyun can answer, Sungmin guesses, "Computer lab closed?"

Kyuhyun shrugs, taking out his brown bag with his lunch. "Some club meeting," he mutters. "Honestly, when was a computer club even made? I've never seen a single meeting."

"There's been one," Kibum says. "Barely anyone's in it, that's all."

Kyuhyun huffs. "Well, apparently they've held their first meeting. And there's going to be one every Monday. Can you believe that? I guess I'm stuck with you guys once a week from now on..."

Sungmin's eyes light up at that, but he hides his excitement by casting his look downward and munching quietly on his food. He doesn't look up until Kyuhyun addresses him, the sound of his name being called sending a rush of andrenaline through him.

"Wha-?"

"Did you practice hitting those notes?" Kyuhyun repeats, eating his food quietly as he stares at Sungmin.

"Yeah," Sungmin answers, frowning. He wishes he could find something besides singing to discuss with Kyuhyun, but all Kyuhyun is ever really interested in is computer games, it seems. 

Hyukjae curiously stares at Sungmin, wondering why he looks so disappointed. But deciding it must just be a bad lunch today or something, he goes on to talk with Kyuhyun and Ryeowook, missing the side glances Sungmin throws at Kyuhyun completely.

-----

A/N: This chapter was strangely hard for me to write -.-" Meh. That might explain its iness. This chapter was going to be REALLY BORING, which is why I added that Kyumin part at the end. I still don't think it makes up for it fully, though. I kind of was about to add the second round of auditions into this chapter, but I thought that'd be a bit too fast. But it'll be in the next chapter. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed :)