Chapter Thirty-Two

It Slips Through Your Fingers

Hyukjae still talks to Donghae, despite that weird feeling in the pit of his stomach he gets when he sees the younger boy, even if it’s on a computer screen. Donghae tries speaking Chinese with him, while Hyukjae just nods every now and then, not really understanding anything. Then Donghae would show Hyukjae the dance moves he learned, sing a little, and ask about dance class.

“Only one more week until you guys are back,” Hyukjae says, stifling a yawn. It’s late where Hyukjae is, but he doesn’t want to leave Donghae yet.

Donghae smiles and nods, the image blurred on the screen from the fast movement. “I can’t wait to give you your gift!” he exclaims, smiling like crazy.

Hyukjae smiles a bit, nodding tiredly. He’s too exhausted to carry on a real conversation with Donghae, and while he should feel guilty, he doesn’t. Donghae usually carries most of their talks, anyway.

“I’m still your dance buddy, right?” Donghae asks anxiously, leaning closer to the camera, eyeing Hyukjae.

He laughs, leaning back in his chair and nodding. He has a hunch that Donghae’s really asking if he’s been replaced yet, and the answer to that is ‘no’. “Of course,” he says softly, causing Donghae to smile at the older boy.

“Good,” he says, leaning back as well, crossing his arms. “Because we go together the best!”

Hyukjae just smiles and murmurs a ‘good night’ before logging off. Donghae’s right; they do go together the best. And Hyukjae feels as if he’s starting to accept it.

-

Hyukjae and Sungmin go to the airport when their friends all arrive back in Korea. The moment Donghae spots Hyukjae – who is wearing sunglasses and has his back turned while he reads magazine, leading him to being confused as to how Donghae recognized him so easily, and Donghae’s reply is, “I just know my monkey well, that’s all” – he hugs him tightly from behind. Hyukjae stiffens at first, surprised at the sudden contact, but calms down and manages to break free from the tight hold.

“Here you go!” Donghae immediately says, sticking out a wrapped bag. Hyukjae takes it and thanks him, smiling. “Now you can bring around all of your stuff when we go out.”

Hyukjae just shakes his head, still smiling. “I have a bag,” he tells him.

“Yeah, but it’s falling apart,” Donghae says with a shrug. “Besides, if you bring all of your stuff, then I can just leave my stuff back at home.” Hyukjae laughs.

“I see. You bought me this so I could carry around your stuff,” he says, smirking.

“No!” Donghae argues. “I bought it so you could carry your stuff so I don’t have to carry my stuff!” Hyukjae just rolls his eyes but thanks him again anyway. Donghae suddenly hugs Hyukjae again, causing Hyukjae to fall back a little, but steady himself and stare at Donghae, surprised. “I missed you,” he murmured into his chest, taking in his familiar scent with relief. It’s nice to be home again.

Hyukjae hesitantly puts his arms around the younger boy, hugging him lightly. “I missed you, too,” he mumbles into Donghae’s hair, a warm feeling in the pit of his stomach.

“And I have another gift for you,” Donghae says, looking up.

“What is it?” Hyukjae asks.

“This,” Donghae says before quietly pecking Hyukjae on the cheek.

-

Meanwhile, Sungmin is debating whether or not to run up to Kyuhyun or wait for the boy to come to him. His steps are slow and hesitant as he walks towards the group of his friends.

“Sungminnie!” Ryeowook suddenly exclaims, running towards Sungmin and engulfing him in a hug. “I missed you!” he says excitedly, smiling brightly up at the older boy.

“Ryeowookie,” Sungmin says, smiling. He’s still anxious and nervous to see Kyuhyun, though. “I missed you, too. How was China?”

“Amazing!” he replies enthusiastically. “I loved to sight-see and everything! It was so much fun! We got to visit temples and learn Chinese and – hey!” Ryeowook stops when Sungmin feels a tug at his arm as someone else bigger than both of them pulls him away. Sungmin looks over – even though he already knows who it is – and his heart starts beating a little faster.

“Sorry, Ryeowook,” Kyuhyun says, although he doesn’t look very apologetic. “I just wanted to talk to my boyfriend.” Ryeowook nods, smiling again now, walking away, peeking back at them occasionally, a silly grin on his face. Kyuhyun turns to Sungmin, who’s currently keeping himself from hyperventilating after hearing himself being called Kyuhyun’s ‘boyfriend’. “I just saved you from a very long and boring story, you know,” he informs Sungmin, grinning.

Sungmin pulls away. “I wanted to hear that story,” he mumbles, frowning as he crossed his arms. Well, not really. He just doesn’t know if he’s ready to actually speak face-to-face with Kyuhyun yet. Sure, phone calls and video chats weren’t bad, but actually seeing him is a totally different thing.

“Sure,” Kyuhyun replies sarcastically, tilting his head at the older but smaller boy. “Did you miss me?” he suddenly asks. Although the tone is supposed to be joking and teasing, the meaning is serious.

Sungmin nods admittedly. “I wouldn’t have if you didn’t kiss me before you left,” he mutters bitterly, staring down at his feet.

Kyuhyun laughs softly and pulls Sungmin closer. “Well, then, I think it’s good I kissed you. Should I do it again?” he offers, leaning in closer.

Sungmin flushes and pushes Kyuhyun away immediately, causing Kyuhyun to laugh even harder at his expression. “Don’t joke like that!”

“Who said I was joking?” Kyuhyun asks innocently, still grinning.

Sungmin looks up and asks, slowly and hesitantly, “So… are we really boyfriends now?” He feels so ridiculous asking this, but he doesn’t want to be kept wondering all this time.

Kyuhyun smiles. “I’d like to be,” he says. “But I can’t say without your permission.”

Sungmin smiles back finally. With a nod, he murmurs, “Yeah… I’d like to be your boyfriend, too.” Kyuhyun pulls him to his side, and the two just stand there, finally hugging.

From afar, they can hear Ryeowook gush, “Aw! That’s so cute! Someone take a picture!”  

----

A/N: Eunhae kind of kissed…? Kind of. In a way. Kind of. Hmm. And Kyumin is reunited and it feels so good <3 Okey-dokey. I think I’m going to start wrapping this story up very soon, actually! :D Huzzah! Then a new Eunhae story, and maybe a Kyumin story too…? It depends on how writing the first chapter goes for that.

This chapter is short D: But it's actually pretty important for the story to finish up. Kyumin is finally official, therefore I can stop worrying about them. I hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading!