Chapter One

It Slips Through Your Fingers

Lee Hyukjae stares up at the school’s banner welcoming back old and new students. A small smile tugs at the corner of his lips. He is excited to say the least. He and his good friend Lee Sungmin had been accepted that year, finally. Hyukjae, now planning to go by Eunhyuk (he’s been telling everyone he wants to get used to his future stage name), moves towards the door and is almost slammed into by someone in a hurry. He almost falls backwards when someone grabs him, pulling him upright.

“Thanks,” he says immediately, not looking at who saved him.

“No problem, Hyukjae,” the voice answers, humor lacing his words. “Or is Eunhyuk now?”

Immediately recognizing that voice, Hyukjae turns around to face his best friend, Kim Junsu. “Junsu!” he exclaims, wrapping his friend in a hug immediately. Laughing, Junsu returns the hug.

“You know I go by Xiah here,” he says, pretending to pout. But he immediately smiles once more and welcomes his friend to the school. “I’m glad you got in this time, Hyukjae,” he says, his voice soft. “This school will be a lot more fun with you here, that’s for sure.”

Hyukjae smiles at his friend’s words and nods. “Definitely, now that Eunhyuk is here! I’m going to dance all over this place.”

Junsu laughs. “Don’t get too cocky, boy. There are other talented people here, too… like me.” He grins, which causes Hyukjae to slap him.

“Sungmin!” Hyukjae exclaims, seeing his friend walking up the school stairs. Sungmin, upon seeing his friend, hurries up and catches up to the two.

“Junsu!” Sungmin says, a bright smile lighting up his face. “We missed you!” The two hug and exchange greetings.

“I’d love to show you guys around,” Junsu admits. “But I think we have different schedules. Besides, I actually study over at building C.”

Hyukjae’s smile immediately falters. “But why? Sungmin and I are over here at building B.”

Junsu shrugs, trying to keep a bright expression for his friends. “Don’t worry, though. We can see each other during lunch or something, ‘kay? I’ve got to run now, though. Classes start soon, so don’t be late, you two!” He immediately hurries off across the field, his bag bouncing on his back.

Sungmin grabs Hyukjae’s arm. “Come on, Hyukkie. Aren’t you excited to see our classmates?” he asks, trying to stay cheery for his friend.

Still a little disappointed, Hyukjae turns and nods. “Yeah, let’s go.”

The two make their way into the building, and are immediately bombarded with a flood of students. In the middle is a student who looks about their age, with dark hair and muscled arms. He’s smiling at everyone, trying to make his way to the classroom.

“Who do you think he is?” Sungmin asks, not expecting an answer.

However, a student answers anyway. “That’s Choi Siwon. It’s only his second year here, but everyone loves him.”

“Is he a sophomore?” Hyukjae asks.

“Nope, he’s a junior. A lot of people said he got in for his looks rather than talent, though. But you’ve got to admit that he’s really handsome.”

Hyukjae and Sungmin nod in agreement.

“Hey, are you two new?” the student finally asks. “Haven’t seen you two in this building before.”

“Yeah,” Sungmin says. “We’re juniors.”

“Oh, cool. My name’s Ryeowook, and I’m a sophomore,” the boy introduces. “I’m a singer. What are you two?”

“I’m Sungmin, and I’m a singer,” Sungmin answers, smiling brightly at the boy.

“Dancer,” Hyukjae replies. “And my name’s Hyukjae, but I’m going to be called Eunhyuk from now on.”

“Wow, really?” Ryeowook asks in awe. “A stage name sounds cool. We had a really good dancer here last year, but he graduated. He was an exchange student named Hankyung, and he was Chinese. He was really nice.”

“Oh, and a really good singer graduated last year, too,” Ryeowook continues, not letting the other boys say anything yet. “His name was Jongwoon, but he went by Yesung.” The warning bell rings and Ryeowook’s eyes widen. “I should go now, but we should hang out later, okay? I’ll tell you guys more!” The shorter boy ran off down the hall.

“He seemed nice,” Hyukjae comments, walking into the classroom, Sungmin’s arm still linked with his.

“Yep,” Sungmin replies merrily.

The two take an empty desk towards the back of the room. Setting their bags down, they notice as more and more students pile in. There are a couple of them surrounding Siwon, like expected. But beside Siwon was another boy, who he seems closer to than the rest. Hyukjae stared at the nameless boy for a while, thinking he looks familiar, those wide eyes of his. But then class starts and his attention is diverted.

Until roll is called.

“Lee Sungmin!”

“Here!”

“Lee Hyukjae!”

“Here!”

“Lee Donghae!”

“Here!”

“Wait, what?” Hyukjae asks in a hushed whisper, his eyes widening. He recognized that name, and suddenly everything was becoming clearer. A faint memory of a boy sitting in the corner of the room, tears rolling down his face, came to mind.

----

A/N: Uh, this chapter wasn’t the best, I admit. But I just wanted to get a quick introduction out. Junsu won't be a main character, but he will show up every now and then.