Chapter Thirteen

It Slips Through Your Fingers

This isn’t the last time Sungmin almost collapses because of Kyuhyun. The second time happens soon after, the following Monday, when Kyuhyun appears by his side, holding his brown bag and sitting crossed-leg beside Sungmin. He scowls upon seeing Hyukjae smirk as he takes his seat on the other side next to Sungmin.

“So Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae says casually. “I know that the computer club only takes up the lab on Mondays, but why don’t you sit with us every day? We could use the company.” He elbows Sungmin, who elbows him back even harder, causing Hyukjae to flinch and attempt to casually eat his food despite the pain.

Sungmin is about to retaliate when he sees an ever greater form of revenge walking this way, alone. He figures Siwon must be absent. “Donghae!” he calls, making the younger boy’s eyes flash towards him, then to Hyukjae, then back to Sungmin. “Come over here!” Smiling, the boy happily does so, sitting beside Hyukjae immediately when he arrives.

Hyukjae glares at Sungmin, who is soaking this up. He goes to sip his strawberry milk, and when he puts it down, he sees Donghae eyeing it. Sighing, he asks, “What?”

Donghae smiles sheepishly. “Usually Siwon shares his drink with me when we eat lunch, so I never bring a drink,” he admits.

Hyukjae rolls his eyes but nudges his milk carton to Donghae, who happily accepts it. Sungmin is pretty surprised at this. Hyukjae is known to be a bit stingy, not wanting to share things such as money and food especially. Especially his strawberry milk. No one can touch Hyukjae’s strawberry milk without permission. And yet here is Donghae, sipping on it while Hyukjae is eating his food.

Sungmin knows he isn’t delusional now. Something is definitely going on. He gets up to throw away his food, and when he gets back, Kyuhyun is closer to Hyukjae, and Sungmin is forced to sit on the other side of Kyuhyun. “Why are you two so close all of a sudden?” Sungmin asks, frowning.

Kyuhyun is a bit surprised at this but just shrugs and says, “Eunhyuk said he wanted to sit closer to me, that’s all.” Donghae is just sitting there, a bit more quiet now, nibbling on his food. He glances over at Kibum, who is reading, and wonders if he should just go talk to Kibum instead.

“Congratulations, by the way,” Sungmin says. “You get to perform at the festival.”

Kyuhyun snorts, leaning back on his elbows. “Thanks, I guess. I didn’t really care much, though.” Sungmin can tell Kyuhyun is lying, but doesn’t point that out. Then he turns to Hyukjae and says, “And good job to you two, as well. Your dance was pretty good.”

“Thanks,” Hyukjae says. “Donghae is a pretty good partner.” To this, Donghae immediately looks up and grins at him, but Hyukjae is already talking to Kyuhyun about something else. Sungmin and Donghae accidentally lock eyes, not sure what to think about Hyukjae and Kyuhyun’s sudden closeness.

After a week of the two acting a lot closer than before, and Kyuhyun surprisingly sitting with them at lunch the whole time, Donghae is already looking unhappy about the two’s friendship. Sungmin honestly doesn’t really know why Donghae is still with them, though, especially when Siwon is around. He would ask, but he doesn’t find himself particularly close with Donghae yet.

Hyukjae, however, knows exactly what he’s doing. He wants Kyuhyun to stick around to know Sungmin even better, and if befriending him leads to that, then so be it. He wishes he could tell Sungmin, because he knows that the martial-arts-expert much be itching to kick his for all of this. But he knows that Sungmin would just protest the whole thing.

Kyuhyun isn’t stupid, either. He knows that Hyukjae has to have a reason for all of this, and because he’s always loved games – computer ones or not – he decides to play along. He has a hunch it might be to annoy Sungmin – after all, he sure does look annoyed – but it might be to make Donghae jealous, Kyuhyun deduces. Either way, both have worked out.

Donghae is talking to Kibum when Hyukjae finally notices that he’s even there. “How long…” he trails off, looking at Sungmin, who’s talking to Ryeowook but stops to glance at Hyukjae then at Donghae. He smirks.

“Ever since Kyuhyun came around. But I guess you were too busy to notice.” Sungmin’s tone is more bitter than he intended, and Hyukjae catches it. He feels bad for Sungmin, but he just wants to help him, that’s all.

Hyukjae glances at Donghae who’s talking with Kibum lively. He wonders when Kibum became so talkative, only to realize that it’s mostly Donghae who’s doing the talking, while Kibum just nods and says a few words here and there. But it’s still a lot coming from Kibum, who usually never talked without a book in front of him.

“What are they talking about?” he wonders out-loud.

“Kibum and Donghae are actually pretty close,” Ryeowook tells Hyukjae. “Although not as close as Siwon and Donghae are, the two get along pretty well. Kibum, despite being fairly cynical at times, does hold a soft spot for Donghae. Donghae refers to Kibum lovingly as well.”

Hyukjae has to admit that he is not comforted by this fact.

“Where is Siwon these days anyway?” Sungmin asks.

“To tell you the truth,” Ryeowook admits. “I don’t know why he isn’t hanging out with Siwon during lunch right now. I doubt they’re in a fight, because those two are just too nice, but I don’t know why they’d separate themselves from each other.”

“You make it sound like they’re a couple,” Hyukjae mutters.

Ryeowook smiles. “They aren’t, like I said before.”

Kyuhyun, who is quietly listening the whole time, finally speaks up. “You like him, don’t you?” he teases, grinning.

Hyukjae flushes immediately and defends, “No! I’m not gay, and I’ve told you this before.”

Kyuhyun snorts. “Whatever.”

“Why did you even ask?” Sungmin asks, looking at Hyukjae and Kyuhyun. He wishes he could stop himself from saying anything, but the words were out before he could.

Kyuhyun smirks and replies, “Because I wanted a date with Eunhyuk, of course!” When Hyukjae flushes even more, sputtering, and Sungmin’s eyes widen in disbelief and horror, he bursts out laughing. “I’m joking, of course! But you two should have seen your faces!” He doubles over in laughter, and Ryeowook and Shindong are chuckling as well.

“But do you like Hyuk in that way?” Sungmin asks, hoping his worry doesn’t show, although Hyukjae catches it.

“Of course not!” Kyuhyun says incredulously. “He’s too smelly for me anyway.”

“Hey!” Hyukjae defends. “It’s because I come after dance!”

Donghae listens quietly as the two bicker and sighs. He turns to Kibum, who’s watching him curiously but knowingly.

“You care for him a lot,” Kibum says. It isn’t a question because he’s sure of it.

Donghae smiles sadly, not even needing to answer. The younger boy knows, and there’s no point in arguing. Donghae learned a long time ago that ignoring the truth will only lead to more pain.

-------

A/N: This chapter was a pain to write. -.-" I thought I wanted it to go a certain way, and then I wrote it, and I was like, "WTH is this?" But the next chapter shall straighten things out a little better hopefully. I UPDATED! Like I said I would. Two in one night. Anyway, maybe I'll get a third in? I'm pushing my luck, but we'll see. I'm writing two Kyumin oneshots as well, but they're also becoming hard to focus on when I want to finish this story more than anything. /sobs. Too much work, too little time.

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading! :)