Chapter Fourteen

It Slips Through Your Fingers

Donghae and Hyukjae are practicing during lunch today, staring at themselves in the mirror as they execute the moves with precision. Donghae, already sweaty, wants to take a break, but upon seeing Hyukjae's determination, he pushes himself to keep going. When Hyukjae finally takes a break, Donghae collapses on the floor and gulps down his water thirstily.

"Why didn't you tell me you wanted to rest?" Hyukjae asks, raising an eyebrow at the exhausted Donghae.

Donghae shrugs, still drinking his water. "You looked so serious, and I didn't want to break that," he says tiredly, sweat dripping from his hair.

Hyukjae sighs, shaking his head. "That doesn't mean I want you to pass out," he says, leaning back on the floor on his elbows.

Donghae, not really caring for the topic of his physical state, changes the subject. "It's nice that Kyuhyun's gotten close to you," he says lightly. "He's been so cut off for so long, and now he's finally opening up and eating with us again."

Hyukjae blinks and slowly says, "Yeah... I guess so. You're eating with us, too, I've noticed." Or with Kibum, at least... he adds mentally.

Donghae smiles, happy he at least noticed. "Yep. It's nice to talk to everyone again. I like being with Siwon, but all we have is each other, and that can get boring." He stops to think and quickly corrects, "Oh, not like that though! It's just that he goes from group to group, and it's hard to have good conversations -"

Hyukjae laughs, stopping Donghae from talking anymore. "I get it," he says. "You want to settle down again."

"Yeah. Exactly..." he replies. "Should we start practicing again?"

Hyukjae eyes Donghae, unsure. "Are you sure you don't want to rest some more?"

Donghae shakes his head. "I'm fine," he says reassuringly. "Really," he says once he sees Hyukjae's skeptical expression.

"Okay..." Hyukjae says slowly, standing up. Donghae goes to turn on the music, and the two start dancing once more.

-

"So does Sungmin like you or something?" Kyuhyun asks casually as the two eat, close to the group but not talking with the rest of them. "Because he always looks mad whenever we're talking."

Hyukjae chuckles, sipping on his milk. "Of course he does. We're best friends," he replies coolly, making Kyuhyun raise his eyebrows slightly. "But not in a romantic sort of way."

"You mean he's jealous of our friendship then?" Kyuhyun asks.

Hyukjae grins. "Sure... let's say that, Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun stares at Hyukjae, wanting to know more, but drops the subject. "You know, I never hear you talk about girls. Or guys. Or any crushes to begin with. Are you dating anyone?" 

Hyukjae shakes his head. "Nope. You?"

This time, Kyuhyun shakes his head. "Nah. I don't really have the time..."

"No girlfriend? Ever?" Hyukjae asks, raising an eyebrow.

Kyuhyun laughs. "No. I'm really busy with studies and singing... and gaming." He smirks, causing Hyukjae to snort.

"So you're straight?" Hyukjae asks. He doesn't like bringing up the subject of ual orientation, but he finds it mandatory if he wants his best friend to nab this guy - which would be a problem, naturally, if his crush isn't gay to begin with.

Kyuhyun, taken back, replies, "Yes. Aren't you?"

Hyukjae grins. "Yeah. I was just curious. After all, not everyone here is."

Kyuhyun nods. "I know. I don't mind them - I'm not homophobic - but I just don't like them in that way."

Hyukjae feels disappointed for his friend. He feels as if his work has gone to waste, but at least he won a friend in the process. He hopes Sungmin can find someone else to crush on. Maybe Ryeowook?

Later on, Sungmin and Hyukjae are walking home together. Sungmin is talking about his singing class, and Hyukjae is listening. When Sungmin brings up his tutoring lesson later, Hyukjae can't help but feel bad. He feels as if this is the right time to tell Sungmin.

"You know... Minnie..." he says softly. "Kyuhyun isn't gay."

Sungmin blinks. "You-You like him? You're gay now?" he asks slowly, surprised.

Hyukjae's eyes widen. "Of course not! I asked for you!"

Sungmin frowns. "What do you mean?"

"I've been getting close to Kyuhyun to help you! I was hoping that maybe I could get him to like you!"

"By hanging out with him?" Sungmin deadpans, not impressed.

"By befriending him so he can know more about you," Hyukjae replies. "But now I know that he's not gay. Sungmin, you've got to get over him. Like someone else. Ryeowook is a really nice guy. He's cute, too, just like you." He smiles softly, but Sungmin just sighs.

"You don't get it, do you?" Sungmin asks softly. "I'm not gay gay. I don't like every single guy I see out there. I like Kyuhyun! And I have since I first saw him in class, as silly as that sounds. I don't want Ryeowook. I love him, but like how I love you. I could never date him." 

"I thought..." Hyukjae says, not fully understanding this idea.

"I knew I didn't like girls, of course," Sungmin admits. "They were never as cute as me. But I never really found a guy, either. Until I saw Kyuhyun." He smiles a bit sadly, tugging at his bag's strap. "Even though he's not gay... maybe I'll find someone else. Eventually."

Hyukjae stares at his friend in pity. "Minnie... I didn't know..." He walks over and gives his friend a huge hug, wrapping him in his long arms. "I'm sorry for even recommending Ryeowook. You'll find someone else." He stops and thinks for a moment. "Kyuhyun doesn't even really like pink, anyway. He wouldn't be right for you."

Sungmin laughs softly. "Thanks, Hyukkie. And thanks... for trying, for me. Really. I'm sorry I even thought anything else."

Hyukjae smiles. "It isn't a problem. I'm sure you'd do the same for me."

Sungmin thinks to himself, visualizing Donghae. Maybe, he thinks, I will. I'll try, at least. And he hugs his friend back with all of his might.

-------

A/N: I hope no one's bored yet :'( I know this is somewhat slow-paced, because I haven't showed any major emotions/feelings toward each other from the main couple, but I kind of want to make this as realistic as possible, and people don't just suddenly fall in love in real life. To everyone who's reading: Thank you so much for reading, commenting, subscribing, or whatever you do with this story :) Seriously. Almost a hundred subscribers :O It's insane. Sorry for the somewhat short chapter... it's late. But I think I got a key idea out in this, perhaps? DO NOT WORRY FOR KYUMIN! THEY WILL PREVAIL! Eventually. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!