Chapter Twenty-Five

It Slips Through Your Fingers

Sungmin is over at Hyukjae’s house the night before Donghae’s brother’s wedding. They’re just hanging out, watching TV and other manly things that teenage boys do on Friday nights.

“Do you even own a tux?” Sungmin teases. The two are sprawled out in the living room, Hyukjae on the couch and Sungmin on the floor beside it. There’s a bowl of popcorn resting on the table and their empty soda cans litter the area around it.

“Yes,” Hyukjae replies, sticking a tongue out at Sungmin, who just smirks. “Well, actually, I’m borrowing my dad’s. I was going to wear the one from our eight grade promotion –“

“You don’t still fit that, do you?”

“Of course not. That’s why I’m not wearing it,” Hyukjae answers, rolling his eyes. “I grew taller.”

“But not fatter,” Sungmin says with a sigh. “I’m jealous of how skinny you are sometimes, Hyukkie.”

Hyukjae snorts, throwing a pillow at him. “Why aren’t you leaving yet?” he asks. “It’s getting late.”

Sungmin shrugs. “Maybe I’ll just sleep over,” he says.

“No,” Hyukjae says immediately, narrowing his eyes at Sungmin. Sungmin just stares at Hyukjae innocently, but Hyukjae isn’t fooled. “Last time you slept over, I ended up having to wash marker off of my face the next morning.”

“I didn’t know it was permanent,” Sungmin insists, pouting. “I just grabbed it off your desk.”

“My face was red for the rest of the day! That really hurt!” he says, wincing at the memory of the harsh scrub.  

Sungmin sighs, giving up. “Fine, fine. I’ll go. Have fun,” he says, that last part having more meaning to it than Sungmin would let on.

Hyukjae gets up after Sungmin leaves, stretches, and then retreats to his room. He goes to sleep surprisingly early, anxious for the following day, which he can't decide if that's a good or bad thing.

-

"Monkey!" Donghae yells after the wedding, running towards Hyukjae excitedly. Following calmly behind him is a smiling Siwon. He tackles Hyukjae in a hug that first startles the older boy before he accepts it and hugs Donghae back. "Isn't my brother handsome?" he brags, grinning. "His wife is gorgeous, as well."

Hyukjae laughs, nodding. Compared to Donghae, Donghwa - his brother - looks much more mature. However, the two are both good-looking still.

Siwon walks up to him and nods in a way of greeting him. "Nice to see you," he says, smiling politely. "It's funny how we're both so close to Donghae and yet we barely see each other."

Hyukjae nods, smiling awkwardly. "That's true."

"You should be with your family," Siwon says, turning to Donghae with a gentle smile. "Honestly, go ahead and go. We'll just talk. When's the reception, again?"

"Soon," Donghae reassures. "I'll get you guys before we go though." He nods and leaves the two, walking back to his family to talk and take some more pictures, leaving Hyukjae and Siwon standing together.

Siwon is the one to break the silence. "You know, I'm happy your Donghae's friend," he admits, still looking at Donghae who is across the court. "He hasn't been able to get really close to anyone besides me," he says thoughtfully. "I mean, he can talk to others with ease, but to actually spend time with that person is very different." 

Hyukjae simply nods, not knowing what to say. "He's very easy to get along," he replies slowly. "It's like taking care of a little kid."

Siwon laughs softly. "You're right; it is. He's so naive for someone his age," Siwon says. He turns to Hyukjae, his eyes surprisingly serious. "That's why we have to protect him."

Hyukjae doesn't even have to question Siwon. "I know," he admits. "And I will try my best."

"You better," Siwon says with a sigh. "He's very sensitive. Don't hurt him."

Hyukjae frowns at this. "Why would I hurt him?"

Siwon smiles now. "Hmm, maybe you're just as naive as him," he murmurs thoughtfully, tilting his head to the side as he looks at the confused Hyukjae. "You two go well together."

Hyukjae flushes. "Don't say that," he mutters. "I'm straight, like you."

"There's such thing as going gay for one person in particular, you know," Siwon informs him with a nod. "It can happen."

Hyukjae flushes even more, not knowing why his uality is being questioned. "I don't like him!" he repeats. "Really, I don't like guys."

Siwon laughs, throwing his head back. "Okay, okay," he says, patting Hyukjae's shoulder. "I was just saying. No need to get so defensive." Hyukjae pouts a bit, and Siwon just smiles. "You two have a lot in common. It's no wonder..." Siwon trails off, deciding that he'd rather not spark another outburst from Hyukjae. "I think we're going to be going soon," he says, gesturing to the people starting to leave. "I really wish I could go to the reception..." he says wistfully.

"You're not going?" Hyukjae asks curiously.

Siwon shakes his head. "I have to do something. I apologize," he says, bowing his head. "It was really nice seeing you, Eunhyuk. Take care of Donghae for me, won't you?" he asks with a smile. Hyukjae nods. "See you at school."

Hyukjae watches as Siwon walks over to Donghae and his family, saying goodbye and shaking hands with all of them. With a final bow, Siwon leaves, and Hyukjae is standing there, not knowing what to do and just looking at the floor awkwardly.

Donghae watches from afar, a smile playing his lips. What a silly monkey, he thinks. He waits for Hyukjae to notice him, and when he does, Donghae waves him over. Hyukjae slowly walks over to them, nodding at Donghae's mother and relatives respectfully.

"We're going to be going soon," Donghae tells him. "The restaurant is just down the street. Do you want to ride with us?" he offers.

Hyukjae shakes his head, smiling a bit. "That's okay. I'll just walk. I wouldn't want to make the car more crowded..."

Donghae laughs then turns away. Hyukjae watches as the rest of Donghae's family gathers into a car after the bride and groom leave in a separate car, and as Donghae stays outside, closing the door for them. He walks back to Hyukjae shortly after and says, "Let's go."

Hyukjae stares at Donghae, unmoving. "You should've gone with them," he says, finally moving.

Donghae looks over and smiles brightly. "Why? You're right - the car is too stuffed. I'd prefer walking with you." He leans his head towards Hyukjae, beaming. "Besides, I couldn't make you walk alone."

Hyukjae just nods, not knowing what to say, so he just replies, "Thanks." There is a small gap of silence before Hyukjae asks, "So why did Siwon have to leave early?"

Donghae shrugs. "Family business. It's no big deal. He's just been busier lately." He seems fairly nonchalant, but Hyukjae notices there is something else to his tone.

"Is that why you're always with me?" he asks softly.

Donghae keeps looking forward. "No," he replies quietly. "I like being with you. Siwon is always busy, going from place to place. I understand it, and I used to tag along..." he trails off, trying to find his words. "I guess I just got tired of it. I like to settle down, and I missed everyone else."

"Why is he so busy?"

"Siwon is at our school because of his looks mostly," Donghae admits. "He knows that, but he wants to prove everyone that he's more than a pretty face. Therefore, he emerges himself into vocal classes very seriously. Along with that, he takes acting classes and joins the drama club every now and then. Then he has Bible studies, which he is very serious about. I used to wait for him after school... until you came along, that is."

Hyukjae smiles a bit. "I'm glad I could keep you company," he admits. After all, after hearing this, Donghae sounds really lonely, surprisingly.

Donghae smiles back. "I'm glad, too," he says.

Hyukjae doesn't know if he should ask what he's about to ask, but he does it anyway. "Why are you two so close?" He doesn't really see many similarities between the two.

Donghae smiles as if he's remembering something. "He accepted me," he finally says. "I was still a bit weird when I arrived," he admits. "But Siwon didn't mind. He was nice to me, and because everyone liked him, everyone was nice to me."

"And why did you guys leave the others?" Hyukjae knows he should bite his tongue from asking so many questions, but he can't help it.

Donghae's smile falters. "I didn't want to," he says slowly. "But Siwon just had to do other things, and I didn't want to leave his side. I missed seeing the others, though."

Hyukjae nods, deciding that he's asked enough questions, even though he feels as if Donghae is still not saying something. They're approaching the restaurant, and the two enter. Hyukjae finally realized something, though, from their conversation.

He knows why Siwon asked Hyukjae to protect him. Because Siwon knows that Donghae is slipping away from him, and he accepts it, but he needs to know someone else with help Donghae. And that someone will have to be Hyukjae.

-----------

A/N: The reception will be covered in the second chapter, along with some more stuff. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!

P.S. Oh my gosh, this was finished last night, but I marked it as "save as draft" at first and forgot to unmark it later. And we all though Kyu and Hyuk were being idiots... I am, too! D: Meh.