The Third Chapter

Turning Page
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Third Chapter

 

Oh Sehun sat still as the other students piled inside the classroom. The buzz was turned down by the music playing on his headphones. The bustling of his classmates as they look around for seats while getting acquainted with each other made him dizzy so he focused his eyes outside the window instead. The sky was clear blue and he could spot some birds flying at a distance. It was a peaceful day in spring, in contrast with the chaos around school.

 

It was his first day as a university student. He was already at his third class for the day, just waiting for the professor to come. He was relieved that he doesn’t have classes together with Jongin and Chanyeol in the morning because they would surely pester him again.

 

His reverie got interrupted when someone tapped him on the shoulder. He plastered a frown on his face to show the person that he was irritated by the interruption. He found out it was a girl when he craned his neck to look at her, so he immediately switched to a poker face. He might be one grumpy and unfeeling person but he still tries to be polite around ladies. The first thing he noticed about her was her eyes. He had a feeling that if he would stare at them for a long time, he would drown.

 

She mouthed something at him and he realized he couldn’t hear her because of the music so he removed his headphones. He saw that she was trying not to roll her eyes and instead, she asked again, “Is this seat taken?” She gestured at the chair on his left.

 

Sehun shrugged in response. No one was sitting but someone might have already taken the chair while he was busy watching outside the window.

 

“Can I sit here then?” She probed on.

 

“Suit yourself.” He mumbled. He wondered why she had to ask him about that. It wasn’t like he was the one who owned the university.

 

The girl placed her bag on the chair before taking a seat. He was about to wear his headphones when she turned to him again. “I’m Jung Daesom, by the way.” She introduced herself. “I’m an Arts major. How about you?” There was a small smile on her face.

 

Ah, another chatterbox. Jongin and Chanyeol were more than enough to handle already and getting acquainted with this one could add up more to his stress. He wasn’t planning on making friends for his four-year stay at the university so he put on his headphones again without answering her.

 

Despite the music, he still heard her cluck her tongue in annoyance and mutter the word, “Rude.” Without him noticing, a playful smirk had crossed his face.

 

Sehun stared down at the girl who was giving him an alluring gaze. That was his first memory of Jung Daesom. He didn’t know why he suddenly remembered that. But comparing that with the one in front of him now, no one could deny that they were two completely different people. He swatted her hand away when she started drawing circles on his chest. He wouldn’t get affected by her. He shouldn’t.

 

“What do you want from me, really? Can’t you just leave me alone?” He growled.

 

“I want you, Oh Sehun. Isn’t it obvious?” She took a step closer. He took a step back. She went near again and it ticked him off so he pushed her by the shoulders.

 

“You’re one sick woman.” He shook his head in exasperation and stormed out of the room before she could say another word. He shouldn’t waste time dealing with her. He’ll just ignore her until she eventually gets tired of him. That would be easy for someone like her.

 

He decided to skip the rest of his afternoon classes and started to take a drive somewhere. He had a class with her later and he wouldn’t risk another encounter with her again. The Jung Daesom from more than a year ago was unlike who she is right now. Sure, they had only talked that one time when they first met but anyone could notice the difference.

 

Sehun knew he shouldn’t be concerning himself with her but he couldn’t help but wonder what had happened for her to change like that.

 

-

 

He went straight to his part-time job right after his drive around the city. His mind had somehow cleared itself of Jung Daesom so he was able to concentrate on his boring work. His manager was kinder to him than usual that it almost made him want to throw up. Sehun knew his manager was just glad because ever since he started working there, there were more customers coming to the shop. Mostly teenage girls.

 

“Sehun, would you like to take a break? I could take over for awhile.” Minji asked in a sickeningly sweet voice.

 

“No, it’s fine.” He greeted the customer with his usual spiel. Minji started preparing the order behind him, then handed it to the woman when it was done.

 

“That woman was giving you a flirtatious look.” She said with an irritated voice.

 

He just shrugged and started to clean the counter. Minji just watched him and he noticed that she was uncomfortably close to him again. She was his manager’s niece and she comes by from time to time to help in the shop. Sehun wasn’t dense not to notice that she had been flirting with him ever since they met but he remained unfazed by her advances. True, she was attractive, around the same age as him, but he had built walls around him and she would never be able to tear it down. He wouldn’t let anyone tear it down.

 

Things started getting busier as the hours passed and it was only that time when he was thankful for Minji to be around. His manager, however, decided to close up early because of an urgent thing at home. He was cleaning the floor with a mop when the shop’s doors opened.

 

“Hey, Sehunnie! Let’s go out tonight!” Chanyeol exclaimed as they got inside.

 

Sehun groaned inwardly. It was Friday night and his friends would always invite him to party. He seldom came with them, though. They were with two other people, Do Kyungsoo and Byun Baekhyun. Chanyeol would often drag his friends from the music department with him.

 

“You’re closing up soon, right? Come with us.” Jongin persuaded.

 

“I have something to do at home.” He reasoned out.

 

“Yeah, right. Like what? Sleeping?” Chanyeol mocked.

 

“Or maybe you have something planned with Jung Daesom?” Jongin smirked teasingly.

 

Sehun sent them glares. “There’s nothing going on between us.”

 

“Then what was that at lunch?” The small one with the big eyes, Do Kyungsoo, asked.

 

Sehun almost snapped at him because they weren’t even friends yet he was asking him that. “It was nothing.”

 

Chanyeol gave him a skeptical look. “Maybe you’re just keeping it a secret because –“

 

“Fine. I’ll go.” These two won’t stop pestering him until he agrees to come with them, anyway. And he doesn’t want to talk about Jung Daesom anymore. Maybe going out tonight could be a way to take his mind off things. Yes, another distraction was what he needed.

 

“You guys are going to party? Can I come?” Minji was suddenly beside him.

 

“You’re Minji, right? Of course. As long as it’s fine with the manager and Sehun.” Jongin wiggled his brows at Sehun. His friend knew that Minji likes him.

 

“It’s fine with uncle. But, Sehun..” She sent him a glance, trying to act cute and it almost made Sehun gag.

 

“Do as you please.” He had finished mopping the floor and he returned it on the back part of the shop.

 

-

 

“You aren’t drinking your beer.” Jongin noticed.

 

Sehun decided to take a sip and his friend chuckled. He wasn’t really in the mood to drink right now. They just forced him a bottle earlier because they said he should have fun tonight. He doesn’t get what was fun with getting yourself drunk then having a painful headache the morning right after.

 

Jongin finished off his third bottle before opening another one. He wouldn’t worry about this guy because he had a very high tolerance for alcohol. Sehun watched lazily the people dancing and grinding against each other at the dance floor. They were currently at one of the clubs at Hongdae. Music blared loudly against the speakers; the flash of different colored lights was around the place. The stench of smoke and alcohol had already numbed his nose. Normally, he didn’t like to be at places as noisy and crowded as this but he needed to keep his mind off things for awhile.

 

He caught sight of Chanyeol doing weird dances on the floor while Baekhyun laughed at him. Kyungsoo was dancing with Minji and he was thankful that the wide-eyed boy took the girl’s attention from him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter