The Eleventh Chapter

Turning Page
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Eleventh Chapter

 

“That person.. is my brother.”

 

Those five words made Sehun open his eyes from sleep. That was the last thing that Daesom said to him last night before a never ending silence engulfed them through the darkness of his room. What she said shocked him. Who wouldn’t be? It never even crossed his mind that she had a brother.

 

She didn’t say anything more after that. It didn’t seem like she fell asleep after she said those words; he vaguely heard her silent cries. Sehun wanted to ask her, to know more about her and her brother, but he knew that she wasn’t ready to reveal all of it. Knowing that she trusted him enough to consider telling him that was enough for now.

 

He looked down and just realized that Daesom had her arm over his stomach, while she used his arm as a pillow. And his hand.. was holding hers. Did they fall asleep that way? He couldn’t remember. The strange thing was, he wasn’t repulsed by any of this. If anything, he felt.. warm and secure.

 

He missed that feeling. That feeling of holding someone close to him.

 

Sehun could hear her steady breathing, proof that she was still fast asleep. It was so unlike him, but he had to admit that he would very much like to stay this way with her for a long time. But he knew he shouldn’t get used to this. He needed to stop himself from wanting more. She was in love with someone else, even if it was her own brother; while Sehun, he can’t love anyone anymore. Caring for her was one thing, going beyond that was another.

 

She had already pushed her way inside his life despite all his attempts from preventing her to do so. One by one, she started to break down the walls that kept him beyond of anyone’s reach for years. He should be furious with her, but looking at her face right now, he knew he couldn’t.

 

She was going to leave him sooner or later. She made it clear last time they talked in his kitchen. She was just there with Sehun because she wanted someone she could lean on for the meantime. There was someone else that she truly needed, but can’t have. Those were the things that he should keep in mind.

 

Sehun slipped out of the bed, careful enough not to wake her up. It was still seven in the morning but he had to prepare now for his dance recital was taking place that day. He skipped practice yesterday so there might be some announcements that he should have taken note of. Daesom was still sleeping when he went outside to cook them some breakfast.

 

Daesom grew up in Canada so she wasn’t really fond of a traditional Korean breakfast. He decided to cook bacon and eggs again and some toast. He suddenly stopped at a thought. He was being considerate of her again and he knew he wouldn’t be able to stop himself from being that way.

 

He was almost done cooking the tomato soup when he heard his bedroom door open and the shuffling of footsteps towards the kitchen area. A chair was pulled back and Sehun glanced behind him to see Daesom propping her chin with her elbow with her eyes still half-closed.

 

“You wake up really early.” She said in a drowsy voice.

 

He turned off the stove before turning his full attention to her. “I’m just right on schedule.” He started taking out some plates for them and fixing everything on the top of the table for their breakfast. Daesom just watched him quietly with a blank face.

 

“Sehun.” She started to say, almost a whisper.

 

“Hmm?” He stopped what he was doing and looked at her.

 

“About last night..” Her face was tinged with uncertainty and hesitation.

 

“You don’t need to say anything if you’re not ready.” He sat down across her. “Let’s eat.”

 

Daesom stared at his face for awhile before grabbing her utensils and starting to eat. They ate in silence, while his mind was being loud inside. She didn’t need to say anything but he wanted her to say something. All he knew was that it was that her brother was getting married and she was in love, no, still in love with him. He didn’t even know her brother’s name. Were they really related by blood? Half-siblings? Or was he adopted? Or was she the adopted one? There were more and more questions inside his head but he didn’t want to force her.

 

Daesom suddenly placed down her fork on the plate. “Since I told you something you never should have known,” She looked him straight in the eyes. “You need to return the favor.”

 

Sehun didn’t answer immediately. He swallowed his toast first and took a deep breath. “What do you want to know?”

 

“That last day in summer, at the field.. why were you there?” Her eyes were suddenly filled with curiosity. “Did you follow me?” And then there was that teasing tone again.

 

He scoffed at her last question. “I can’t even remember your name at that time so why the heck would I follow you?”

 

“Well, you might be one of my stalkers.” She raised a brow at him. “You can’t remember my name but you didn’t hesitate to make out with me.”

 

He almost choked on his food, but he managed to keep his composure. “You pulled me in first.”

 

“You met me halfway.” She stated coyly before turning serious again. “But Sehun, you didn’t answer my question. What brought you there?”

 

He let out a sigh. “I just happened to stop by that area.”

 

“With those flowers?”

 

He quirked his eyebrows in surprise. She even noticed what he was holding at that time. “It was my mother’s death anniversary.” He answered. “I couldn’t bring myself to visit her grave again so I ended up in that place in frustration. I was going to dispose flowers when I saw you.” He tried to keep his voice calm and detached, even if he was struggling inside. His mother’s death wasn’t a pleasant memory.

 

“Oh.” She brought her eyes down. “I never knew that she passed away. I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s alright.” That was the first time that Sehun replied after someone said their condolences for his mother’s death. He would usually ignore them because he knew it was out of pity or courtesy and he hated it. But with Daesom, he sensed sincerity.

 

“You know, I kind of thought that those were for Sae Hee.” She suddenly said.

 

Her voice was casual and he knew they were both trying to keep the conversation as normal as possible, remembering the last time she opened up about the topic and Daesom ending up in the hospital. “We’re long over. I don’t even know where she is anymore.” And I’d rather not see her again. “How about you? Why were you there?”

 

He noticed that Daesom’s shoulders tensed but she was trying hard to keep her face void of anything. “Like you, I don’t really know how I ended up there.”

 

“Was it because of him?”

 

She knew exactly who he was referring to. “Partly yes.”

 

Partly. So there was something more than her forbidden love for her sibling. Before he knew about it, he had thought that it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter